2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
Disappointing
By Zachary A. Horn on 03/24/15 06:36 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car was great for the first few years I owned it. I bought this car new with 15 miles on it in early 2012. I drive about 30,000 miles a year between work and personal use, and performed all recommended maintenance. Around 50k or 60k miles the car started running rough in between oil changes. When I started checking the oil levels more frequently I noticed it was using 2-3 quarts of oil in between oil changes (performed every 5,000-7,000 miles even though the owner's manual recommends 15,000). At 80k the timing belt broke. At 85k it used 3 quarts 1,500 miles after an oil change. It is currently at the dealership having the engine rebuilt. Fortunately I have 15k of warranty left.

Decent kind of Chevy Car but avoid the Cloth Seats
By smashmouth99 on 03/21/15 16:55 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car already has 60,000 miles and we bought it brand new in January 2012. Although i got to say don't get the jet black cloth seats because they are not comfortable at all its like sitting on a desk. Although this car gets me from point A to point B without any problems the gas gets good mileage and it really stands out for a compact SUV.

wish I never purchased this car
By Tricia Kelly on 03/16/15 16:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased my 2012 equinox in April 2012. Had to call the dealer within a few months due to the fact my check engine light was illuminating from my dash. Was spoken to like I was a moron & told to tighten my gas cap. Did not fix the problem. It would go on & of constantly whenever where ever. The dealership would humor me & reset it when I complained. Then my equinox started consuming oil at an outrageous rate. In between oil changes I am constantly adding 2-4 quarts. I have to constantly check my oil, usually at every fill up in fear of my engine consuming all of it considering consumption is only getting worse. I have under 50k miles & have preformed all scheduled & preventative maintenance

It is a very under powered vehicle
By 389gto on 03/02/15 11:37 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the 2012 Equinox new that year. I like the looks of this vehicle. While on a highway trip It felt very busy driving. I was trying to adjust the throttle pedal to slight hills for climbing power. I tried the cruise control it helped some. The transmission shifting too low gears when you want to pass. It was better to pull over and let people pass.

2012 Equinox - just ok
By s_l_w on 06/21/14 10:33 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We love the way the Equinox looks, but looks can be deceiving. Our 2012 Equinox has been in the shop way too often for a fairly new car. The main issues we've had are (1) the hub bearings had to be replaced, (2) the Check Engine light came on due to a faulty gas cap, and (3) the transmission jerks at low speeds. Replacing the hub bearings fixed the issue of the popping noise when turning the steering wheel at low speeds. Replacing the gas cap did not fix the problem, so the dealer just replaced a faulty valve in the fuel system. We still haven't gotten a solution for the jerking transmission and the dealer says they didn't find anything wrong with it. These repairs are such an inconvenience!

Good Compact SUV
By carguy07054 on 04/23/14 12:23 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have 13K miles. Good fuel economy. Best so far was 30.8MPG on a 600 mile trip driving @ 65-70MPH. Average 25.5MPG in mixed driving. Lot's of room inside. Comfortable seats with good support. Good ride and suspension is well tuned.

Poorly designed ventilation outlets
By drivetrain1 on 03/17/14 12:06 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Poorly designed position of the a/c ventilation outlets. The driver's side vent is positioned way too low on the dash board. The steering wheel blocks the airflow no matter how I have the wheel tilted. The air deflector has limited range of motion and does not deflect or direct the flow of air properly. I can adjust the air vent (left of the radio cluster) to point directly on me, but then my passengers in back seat complain of no air. The summer heat here in Central Texas can be quite unbearable! The driver of ANY vehicle should have access to sufficient ventilation from the left air vent.

Not what I expected!
By algoma on 06/29/13 16:33 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Even the blind spot mirrors don't really help. The blind spots are still there, especially with the design in the back. If the back seat head rests aren't in your blind spots, then its the blindness from not being able to see out the rear windows. There is also a hesitation with the engine when driving down the road. I wish I had my the van I traded this in for. I have driven earlier models of the Equinox before, and the blindspots aren't an issue like they are with this model. Not happy with the gas mileage either. The interior isn't roomy when it comes the front seating area. If you drop something in between, you might as well forget about getting it back.

Where do I start
By stmyers on 06/28/13 21:49 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have a 2012 LTZ equinox with 14k miles, I can not count the times I have had to take it in for problems. This past week, my check engine light came on. Dealer said it has to do with the air filter we put in (k&n) we replaced the filter back to the orig. one and the light came on again. Called a different dealer and they said they were too busy to get my car in for at least two days... Do I just drive the car around with the check engine light on? Then, Today, I went to use my remote start and the remote start is not working. For as much as they cost, you think GM would get it right the first or second time... I'm very disappointed with GM and more so with the dealership I purchased the car

Good Overall Value and Style
By wavesherwood on 06/23/13 11:24 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Great versatility. Beautiful vehicle in and out. Only problem we have had so far is the rough engine idle which dealer says is unduplicatable but they did update computer program. that helped some, but we are still experiencing some intermittent rough engine idle especially when sitting at stoplights. Blind spots and camera depth perception makes backing up tricky.