Used 2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Jumpy Shifting and Stalling Out
By Ryan Toombs

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My wife and I bought the 2012 Equinox only a month ago as a Certified Pre-Owned with only 39,000 miles on it. One short month and 1,000 miles later, the check engine light came on. The actuator had to be replaced. No big deal since it was under warranty. The vehicle also shifts very hard/jumpy, like you are being slowly rear-ended. We recently stalled out in a McDonald's drive-thru because of this issue. I was told that the hard shifting of the Equinox is one of the biggest complaints they receive at the dealer. They informed me it is just how the vehicle drives and that I would get used to it. My wife doesn't want to get used to it. No going back for me, but hopefully I saved you trouble!

Favorite Features

The seats are comfortable, which is good for when your vehicle stalls and you have to sit and wait for a tow.

Suggested Improvements

How about notifying customers of the potential transmission issue? You know, just in case they have a child (like we do) and would view a potential stalled vehicle as a safety concern. But, I guess that would be too honest, and potentially cost the dealership money.

Disappointing
By Zachary A. Horn

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car was great for the first few years I owned it. I bought this car new with 15 miles on it in early 2012. I drive about 30,000 miles a year between work and personal use, and performed all recommended maintenance. Around 50k or 60k miles the car started running rough in between oil changes. When I started checking the oil levels more frequently I noticed it was using 2-3 quarts of oil in between oil changes (performed every 5,000-7,000 miles even though the owner's manual recommends 15,000). At 80k the timing belt broke. At 85k it used 3 quarts 1,500 miles after an oil change. It is currently at the dealership having the engine rebuilt. Fortunately I have 15k of warranty left.

Favorite Features

Nice mpg, comfortable cab, and smooth ride. I love the standard XM radio.

Suggested Improvements

Apparently these cars have a reputation for falling apart around 60k miles. Numerous owner boards report the same pattern I describe above. They start using oil, and it is all downhill from there. Fortunately I am dealing with a good dealership that has been proactive in trying to fix the car and cause as little inconvenience to me as possible. But that doesn't make up for the fact that a 3 year old car with less than 100k miles on it has to have the engine replaced/rebuilt. The engine's poor reputation and the fact I put a lot of miles on a vehicle has left me with a car barely worth what I owe on it under a 5 year repayment plan. As soon as it is fixed - it is gone.

Decent kind of Chevy Car but avoid the Cloth Seats
By smashmouth99

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car already has 60,000 miles and we bought it brand new in January 2012. Although i got to say don't get the jet black cloth seats because they are not comfortable at all its like sitting on a desk. Although this car gets me from point A to point B without any problems the gas gets good mileage and it really stands out for a compact SUV.

Favorite Features

Radio styling, Sunroof, Rear Seats recline back and foward, Gas Mileage, Sound System

Suggested Improvements

Make the Cloth Seats more comfortable! Even the new equinox didn't fix that problem the aux cord needs to support the newer Iphones because it doesn't support my Iphone 5 and better acceleration for the 4 cylinder

wish I never purchased this car
By Tricia Kelly

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased my 2012 equinox in April 2012. Had to call the dealer within a few months due to the fact my check engine light was illuminating from my dash. Was spoken to like I was a moron & told to tighten my gas cap. Did not fix the problem. It would go on & of constantly whenever where ever. The dealership would humor me & reset it when I complained. Then my equinox started consuming oil at an outrageous rate. In between oil changes I am constantly adding 2-4 quarts. I have to constantly check my oil, usually at every fill up in fear of my engine consuming all of it considering consumption is only getting worse. I have under 50k miles & have preformed all scheduled & preventative maintenance

Favorite Features

& yet my check engine light seems to be getting brighter. Complained yet again about the engine light & oil 2 weeks ago to be told to bring it in yet again for service/oil consumption test. What a joke & waste of time. They never addressed the issue with the engine light so I complained again & went back to the dealership to be told my pistons, rings, valve stems & chains needed to be replaced. If I'm correct that's the entire engine on a car less than 3 yrs old with less than 50k miles.

Suggested Improvements

I was also told it was dangerous to drive & they would provide a rental. Dangerous? Thank you for letting me drive it for over 2 years with continuous complaints with young children in my backseat. I have been calling gm directly & was given a case manager who can't be bothered to even return a phone call. Serena is her name. Good luck if you ever have to deal with these people. It is as unfortunate as it is pathetic that GM does not stand behind their product. A waste of $33k

It is a very under powered vehicle
By 389gto

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the 2012 Equinox new that year. I like the looks of this vehicle. While on a highway trip It felt very busy driving. I was trying to adjust the throttle pedal to slight hills for climbing power. I tried the cruise control it helped some. The transmission shifting too low gears when you want to pass. It was better to pull over and let people pass.

Favorite Features

I like the looks. The interior is ok too

Suggested Improvements

I believe a 4.3 liter V-6 would do the trick like the old s-10's. at least a 4 liter and 4 speed transmission. I think the 4 cylinder cars are okay, but not such a big suv.