Used 2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Body Module Failure a Deal Breaker
By Alan

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

If your body control module fails, like mine did, the failure mode could be dangerous. When it failed, the power door locks, transmission control, and key ignition release failed simultaneously. It was frozen in 'Park', with no option other than to disconnect the transmission control to move it. I had an older Altima that I could have used to get to work, but it took a tow flatbed, and knowledge if how to put the car in 'Neutral' manually from underneath the car. Repair was covered by GM, but I lost my trust for this vehicle. I would have engineered a failsafe akin to a limp-home mode that would allow an owner to get the Equinox to a safe location. I'm curious as to what would have happened if this module failed at highway speed.

By Barbara Shrum

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My husband bought me this car after a back injury when my 4-wheel drive truck was too rough for me to drive. I have loved it! The seats are so comfortable, even on long trips. The power rear liftgate was a lifesaver for getting things in and out. And it looks snazzy too. The navigation system and Onstar always made me feel safe traveling alone.

Perfect
By William

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought this car used in 2013 with 14K and it's been perfect ever since. Now just hitting 50K and have had absolutely zero issues with anything. It's comfortable driving to the store and it's comfortable driving for hours on a road trip. GM seems to have a bad rep with reliability but I don't see why, this car is great.

Mechanical nightmare
By Kathleen

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car new and have had many mechanical problems. Excessive oil consumption lead to major repairs. Just replaced the cam actuators due to oil sludge even though I never skip an oil change. GM denied my request for reimbursement. I am not keeping the car and will never own a Chevrolet.

Been great so far
By Chuck Hoover

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought my 2012 new, it now has 42000 miles on it. It has NEVER been in the shop for anything except oil changes and tire rotation.I have a 4 cyl.FWD will get 33 mpg on highway going 65..about 28 going 78. about 20 in stop and go city driving. It does make a jumpy transmission shift if you hit the gas while it is downshifting on occation not always. Has not been great in snow but didnt have the right tires on it. Just now put better tires for snow on it last week.I drive to Florida 2 times a year from Pa. it is very comfortable.Change oil every 5000 miles.After reading about the poor oil consumption I will start watching it now. Havent had any oil problems yet.