2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

2012 Equinox Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Sort Reviews by

Disappointing
By Zachary A. Horn

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car was great for the first few years I owned it. I bought this car new with 15 miles on it in early 2012. I drive about 30,000 miles a year between work and personal use, and performed all recommended maintenance. Around 50k or 60k miles the car started running rough in between oil changes. When I started checking the oil levels more frequently I noticed it was using 2-3 quarts of oil in between oil changes (performed every 5,000-7,000 miles even though the owner's manual recommends 15,000). At 80k the timing belt broke. At 85k it used 3 quarts 1,500 miles after an oil change. It is currently at the dealership having the engine rebuilt. Fortunately I have 15k of warranty left.

Favorite Features

Nice mpg, comfortable cab, and smooth ride. I love the standard XM radio.

Suggested Improvements

Apparently these cars have a reputation for falling apart around 60k miles. Numerous owner boards report the same pattern I describe above. They start using oil, and it is all downhill from there. Fortunately I am dealing with a good dealership that has been proactive in trying to fix the car and cause as little inconvenience to me as possible. But that doesn't make up for the fact that a 3 year old car with less than 100k miles on it has to have the engine replaced/rebuilt. The engine's poor reputation and the fact I put a lot of miles on a vehicle has left me with a car barely worth what I owe on it under a 5 year repayment plan. As soon as it is fixed - it is gone.

Decent kind of Chevy Car but avoid the Cloth Seats
By smashmouth99

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car already has 60,000 miles and we bought it brand new in January 2012. Although i got to say don't get the jet black cloth seats because they are not comfortable at all its like sitting on a desk. Although this car gets me from point A to point B without any problems the gas gets good mileage and it really stands out for a compact SUV.

Favorite Features

Radio styling, Sunroof, Rear Seats recline back and foward, Gas Mileage, Sound System

Suggested Improvements

Make the Cloth Seats more comfortable! Even the new equinox didn't fix that problem the aux cord needs to support the newer Iphones because it doesn't support my Iphone 5 and better acceleration for the 4 cylinder

wish I never purchased this car
By Tricia Kelly

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased my 2012 equinox in April 2012. Had to call the dealer within a few months due to the fact my check engine light was illuminating from my dash. Was spoken to like I was a moron & told to tighten my gas cap. Did not fix the problem. It would go on & of constantly whenever where ever. The dealership would humor me & reset it when I complained. Then my equinox started consuming oil at an outrageous rate. In between oil changes I am constantly adding 2-4 quarts. I have to constantly check my oil, usually at every fill up in fear of my engine consuming all of it considering consumption is only getting worse. I have under 50k miles & have preformed all scheduled & preventative maintenance

Favorite Features

& yet my check engine light seems to be getting brighter. Complained yet again about the engine light & oil 2 weeks ago to be told to bring it in yet again for service/oil consumption test. What a joke & waste of time. They never addressed the issue with the engine light so I complained again & went back to the dealership to be told my pistons, rings, valve stems & chains needed to be replaced. If I'm correct that's the entire engine on a car less than 3 yrs old with less than 50k miles.

Suggested Improvements

I was also told it was dangerous to drive & they would provide a rental. Dangerous? Thank you for letting me drive it for over 2 years with continuous complaints with young children in my backseat. I have been calling gm directly & was given a case manager who can't be bothered to even return a phone call. Serena is her name. Good luck if you ever have to deal with these people. It is as unfortunate as it is pathetic that GM does not stand behind their product. A waste of $33k

It is a very under powered vehicle
By 389gto

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the 2012 Equinox new that year. I like the looks of this vehicle. While on a highway trip It felt very busy driving. I was trying to adjust the throttle pedal to slight hills for climbing power. I tried the cruise control it helped some. The transmission shifting too low gears when you want to pass. It was better to pull over and let people pass.

Favorite Features

I like the looks. The interior is ok too

Suggested Improvements

I believe a 4.3 liter V-6 would do the trick like the old s-10's. at least a 4 liter and 4 speed transmission. I think the 4 cylinder cars are okay, but not such a big suv.

2012 Equinox - just ok
By s_l_w

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We love the way the Equinox looks, but looks can be deceiving. Our 2012 Equinox has been in the shop way too often for a fairly new car. The main issues we've had are (1) the hub bearings had to be replaced, (2) the Check Engine light came on due to a faulty gas cap, and (3) the transmission jerks at low speeds. Replacing the hub bearings fixed the issue of the popping noise when turning the steering wheel at low speeds. Replacing the gas cap did not fix the problem, so the dealer just replaced a faulty valve in the fuel system. We still haven't gotten a solution for the jerking transmission and the dealer says they didn't find anything wrong with it. These repairs are such an inconvenience!

Favorite Features

Lots of room inside the cabin and in the rear storage area, decent gas mileage, exterior looks nice

Suggested Improvements

More power, remove red stitching on seats, add ventilation to the back seats, add dual zone climate control to the front seats

Good Compact SUV
By carguy07054

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have 13K miles. Good fuel economy. Best so far was 30.8MPG on a 600 mile trip driving @ 65-70MPH. Average 25.5MPG in mixed driving. Lot's of room inside. Comfortable seats with good support. Good ride and suspension is well tuned.

Favorite Features

Lots of standard equipment for the base model LS like bluetooth, laminated glass, noise cancellation, and adjustable 2nd row seats.

Suggested Improvements

Make rear cargo privacy shade standard. Center information display menus a bit confusing, it could be simplier.

Poorly designed ventilation outlets
By drivetrain1

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Poorly designed position of the a/c ventilation outlets. The driver's side vent is positioned way too low on the dash board. The steering wheel blocks the airflow no matter how I have the wheel tilted. The air deflector has limited range of motion and does not deflect or direct the flow of air properly. I can adjust the air vent (left of the radio cluster) to point directly on me, but then my passengers in back seat complain of no air. The summer heat here in Central Texas can be quite unbearable! The driver of ANY vehicle should have access to sufficient ventilation from the left air vent.

Suggested Improvements

I am sure that the ventilation conduits behind the dash is nothing but flexible hose. A suggested and simple fix would be to simply move the driver's side air outlet UP and redesign that side part of the dash board with a newly-positioned hole for the outlet. I test-drove a Cadillac SRX and the dashboard design is almost identical to that of the Equinox. In the Cadillac SRX the passenger-side air outlet is positioned further up.

Not what I expected!
By algoma

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Even the blind spot mirrors don't really help. The blind spots are still there, especially with the design in the back. If the back seat head rests aren't in your blind spots, then its the blindness from not being able to see out the rear windows. There is also a hesitation with the engine when driving down the road. I wish I had my the van I traded this in for. I have driven earlier models of the Equinox before, and the blindspots aren't an issue like they are with this model. Not happy with the gas mileage either. The interior isn't roomy when it comes the front seating area. If you drop something in between, you might as well forget about getting it back.

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate the blind spots! Make it roomier in the front seating area or at least make the middle counsel removable.

Where do I start
By stmyers

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have a 2012 LTZ equinox with 14k miles, I can not count the times I have had to take it in for problems. This past week, my check engine light came on. Dealer said it has to do with the air filter we put in (k&n) we replaced the filter back to the orig. one and the light came on again. Called a different dealer and they said they were too busy to get my car in for at least two days... Do I just drive the car around with the check engine light on? Then, Today, I went to use my remote start and the remote start is not working. For as much as they cost, you think GM would get it right the first or second time... I'm very disappointed with GM and more so with the dealership I purchased the car

Good Overall Value and Style
By wavesherwood

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Great versatility. Beautiful vehicle in and out. Only problem we have had so far is the rough engine idle which dealer says is unduplicatable but they did update computer program. that helped some, but we are still experiencing some intermittent rough engine idle especially when sitting at stoplights. Blind spots and camera depth perception makes backing up tricky.

Favorite Features

Rear back-up camera, stereo and blue tooth capabitilities, solid handling and the beautiful distinctive Crystal Tint Red exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Improve back-up camera depth deception, blind spots and fine tune the engine idle problems. Also, a little wider track would lend greater handling response and turning stability. Go Chevy engineering!