Used 2012 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Equinox

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Where do I start
By stmyers

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have a 2012 LTZ equinox with 14k miles, I can not count the times I have had to take it in for problems. This past week, my check engine light came on. Dealer said it has to do with the air filter we put in (k&n) we replaced the filter back to the orig. one and the light came on again. Called a different dealer and they said they were too busy to get my car in for at least two days... Do I just drive the car around with the check engine light on? Then, Today, I went to use my remote start and the remote start is not working. For as much as they cost, you think GM would get it right the first or second time... I'm very disappointed with GM and more so with the dealership I purchased the car

Equinox LTZ
By norwin

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought the 4 cyl LTZ in May 2012 and we are happy with the performance and styling of the vehicle.I was a little leery of buying a 4 banger but after a 900 mile trip was pleasantly surprised with performance and gas mileage. The first tank (in ECO mode) got 31.4mpg at 65 to 75mph with ac on,2 people and luggage on board. Sure, its not going to perform like the big boys, but I feel comfortable with it's power in traffic and never feel like I have to "get over get run over." Subsequent mileage checks for the type of driving we do are in 28-29mpg range.

Favorite Features

The LTZ has many nice features and is very nicely equipped for a car in this price range. We like them all, the leather memory seats,on star,onboard navigation,rear vision camera and the list goes on. If you are truly interested in the Equinox,grab a book at the dealership and check it out. The LTZ comes with several upgrades as compared to the LS and LT models and then you can decide which one is right for your needs and wants.

Suggested Improvements

Sure, I like the LTZ but I also think GM missed the boat on a few things. It would have been nice if they would have included a power front passenger seat and a built in garage door transmitter. Two things I really don't like are the driver info center is a little bit cranky and the fuel tank door is on the passenger side, but these things are not a deal breaker.

Better equipped and built than the competition
By labluebabe

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We test drove the new Mazda CX-5, Ford Escape, Nissan Rogue, Hyundai something and a few other SUVs. The top of our list was the Equinox, Escape and CX-5. The Ford and Chevy were our two favorites, but at the end of the day the Equinox was cheaper for the fully loaded version and came with a 100k mile/5yr warranty, vs the 60k on the Escape. We got the LTZ loaded with FULL LEATHER seats, not partial leather in the Titanium (beware! you can find full leather Escape Titaniums but MOST of the Titaniums are PARTIAL leather where just the middle insert is leather!). To anyone looking at new SUVs, be sure to test drive BOTH the V6 and 4 cylinder Equinox, there's a huge difference in power!

Favorite Features

We love the 264hp V6, 3500lb towing capacity and amazing legroom in the back seat. The center electronics in the 2013 Escape are harder to use, whereas in the Equinox its easy to find everything +has hard buttons for the most frequently used tasks. Nav and bluetooth calls are super easy. I also like how I can send a Google map STRAIGHT to my car from my phone - how awesome is that? The microphone is amazing - when you make or receive a call you just talk normal like the person is sitting next to you. It's awesome to be able to talk and drive without fumbling for your phone. The collision detection and lane change systems are ingenious, and the backup camera with park assist is invaluable.

Suggested Improvements

We were willing to forego the higher mpg 4 cylinder for the V6, as we like having passing power - but like everyone else we wouldn't mind if the V6 got 30mpg. We're averaging about 20mpg right now with mixed driving, which isn't bad for a powerful SUV. We would like to see side step bars, the Equinox isnt hard to get into for adults but we have a 3yr old and it would help him to have the step. He manages to get in on his own, just has to exert a bit more energy (being a toddler we dont mind him getting a little tired!) Oh, OnStar could be a bit cheaper, we like it has 6mo free but $30/mo is a bit steep. They have a cool app for your Android / iPhone that lets you start your car remotely.