2012 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
2012 Equinox - just ok
By s_l_w on 06/21/14 10:33 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We love the way the Equinox looks, but looks can be deceiving. Our 2012 Equinox has been in the shop way too often for a fairly new car. The main issues we've had are (1) the hub bearings had to be replaced, (2) the Check Engine light came on due to a faulty gas cap, and (3) the transmission jerks at low speeds. Replacing the hub bearings fixed the issue of the popping noise when turning the steering wheel at low speeds. Replacing the gas cap did not fix the problem, so the dealer just replaced a faulty valve in the fuel system. We still haven't gotten a solution for the jerking transmission and the dealer says they didn't find anything wrong with it. These repairs are such an inconvenience!

Defroster Issue
By heinemann on 02/27/13 14:56 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Defroster, heat blowing on the windshield on high heat (85 degrees), high fan, with the air conditioning button off, isn't sufficent to defrost windshield and melt freezing rain and snow on the upper half and the far left side of the windshield. Dealer says there's no problem. Been a GM buyer many times before but this is the last one even through I'll give up GM credit card $$.

2012 Eqinox Just OK
By grngob on 01/06/13 15:55 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned my 2012 Equinox - 4 cylinder/FWD - since may of 2012. I have never gotten more than 29.5 MPG highway, not close the 32 Chevy quotes. (In fact, I got 22 MPG on one tank - some city miles spoem highway). Very disappointing. The FM radio has reception issues and fades in and out on occaision. It is a nuisance more than anything.

no concern for safety from GM
By aaron69 on 12/16/12 22:50 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We purchased a 2012 Equinox in Feb. It has been in the shop three time. The first was a simple air bag sensor, the next one was the motor dumped oil all over my garage floor, and the last and most definetely the worst, a fitting on the gas line broke and sprayed gallons of gas all over the garage floor and driveway. The line runs close to the exhaust. Im really surprised that my house and family didnt burn up. Oh but they gave me an extended warranty to make it all better. If you would like pictures I would be glad to show you.

Great vehicle so far
By mcclane on 10/25/12 10:51 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought our equinox new 4000 miles ago and it has been all we hoped it would be. I read a lot of good reviews on it so we decided to take the plunge and buy one. We wanted a bigger vehicle without giving up a lot of mpg. We have the 4 cylinder LT model and average over 29 mpg. The majority of our miles have been highway but on the highway we get between 30 and 31 mpg. I'm 6'2" and it's comfortable to take on longer trips. The moving backseat is also fantastic. We have it up the majority of the time to add to the storage and all the way back when we have friends in the back. They have more then enough room (as did I when I tried it out in the back once). Overall, very happy.

Dissapointed!
By mrdubious1 on 10/22/12 21:33 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have 7000 miles on my 2012 Equinox (6Cyl) and so far I am very dissapointed with it. The 6 speed transmission shifts unexpectedly while driving making the car feels as though it's stalling. Acceleration is jerky and at time 'flat' wont move when you need power. Power steering vibrates while parking and backing out of my garage as though your parking an 18 wheeler! and a pump noise coming from engine compartment on drivers side that sounds like a playing card in a bicycle wheel spoke. I can't wait to get rid of this piece of crap!

11,000 and going strong
By chickn on 09/11/12 17:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have 11,000 miles on the car and it is going strong. It is a 4 banger. I pull a 12 ft utility trailer with a Gravley z155 mower on the trailer with no problem. The car shifts fine, especially if I hold a steady foot on the gas. I get 26+- mpg around town and 26.5 to 30 +- highway, with just myself and my lady in the car. She said it shifted a lot going oover the mountains this summer going to Detroit from NC. She had 2 teen gals and their gear with them. I would say the shifting would be normal for that. The only issue I have with the car is the A/C dash vents.the one on the dash, right of the steering wheel tends to blow either on my face or chest. Can't turn it enough to the right.

Great Vehicle
By rushfan2 on 07/15/12 17:28 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My wife and I bought ours about a month ago and have about 1500 miles on it. We hadn't owned an SUV before. I'm 6'7" and the wife is 6'. Plenty of room for both of us. Easy to get into and out of, which is important to me because I've had a hip replacement. Great to drive. Very smooth acceleration, quiet ride. Getting about 24 MPG. Wife drives it to/from work, which is only about 12 miles each way, so that's not surprising. Took it on one trip to Baltimore, about 2.5 hours away, and it was great. We love it and would recommend it to anyone. I also have a 2005 Impala, and we traded in the wife's 2003 Monte Carlo, so we're Chevy people anyway.

Good every day vehicle.
By ground_zero on 06/25/12 07:03 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Externally the 2012 Equinox looks alot beefier than the old model with it's muscular looking exterior, internally the first thing that grabbed me was the large touchscreen radio, sitting down in the chair I discovered how comfortable it is, one of the most comfortable seats in any vehicle I have owned so far. The 4 Cylinder engine chugs along nicely sipping gas relatively conservatively (no 32 MPG Highway, more like 25-30) It's got plenty of space for passengers, the near is a bit disapointing if you plan to carry a bunch of luggage but still enough. It does seem to take corners a tad wide and it's something to get used to especially when parking.

Mostly good
By jzr1sy40 on 02/21/12 04:43 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The Pros - Good ride, Comfortable, Nice design, roomy interior, Far stronger that other vehicles in his class, Very comfortable highway ride. The Cons - Lousy millage, in the city I'm lucky when I get 16 mpg, I just took my first road trip, I have 5900 miles in my Equinox, (I have owned it for 14 months, mostly city driving), after an average of 54.8 mph I got an average of 23.6 mpg. Very disappointing.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox in VA is:

$119 per month*