Used 2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Equinox

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Jumpy Shifting and Stalling Out
By Ryan Toombs

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My wife and I bought the 2012 Equinox only a month ago as a Certified Pre-Owned with only 39,000 miles on it. One short month and 1,000 miles later, the check engine light came on. The actuator had to be replaced. No big deal since it was under warranty. The vehicle also shifts very hard/jumpy, like you are being slowly rear-ended. We recently stalled out in a McDonald's drive-thru because of this issue. I was told that the hard shifting of the Equinox is one of the biggest complaints they receive at the dealer. They informed me it is just how the vehicle drives and that I would get used to it. My wife doesn't want to get used to it. No going back for me, but hopefully I saved you trouble!

Favorite Features

The seats are comfortable, which is good for when your vehicle stalls and you have to sit and wait for a tow.

Suggested Improvements

How about notifying customers of the potential transmission issue? You know, just in case they have a child (like we do) and would view a potential stalled vehicle as a safety concern. But, I guess that would be too honest, and potentially cost the dealership money.

Good Compact SUV
By carguy07054

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have 13K miles. Good fuel economy. Best so far was 30.8MPG on a 600 mile trip driving @ 65-70MPH. Average 25.5MPG in mixed driving. Lot's of room inside. Comfortable seats with good support. Good ride and suspension is well tuned.

Favorite Features

Lots of standard equipment for the base model LS like bluetooth, laminated glass, noise cancellation, and adjustable 2nd row seats.

Suggested Improvements

Make rear cargo privacy shade standard. Center information display menus a bit confusing, it could be simplier.

Not what I expected!
By algoma

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Even the blind spot mirrors don't really help. The blind spots are still there, especially with the design in the back. If the back seat head rests aren't in your blind spots, then its the blindness from not being able to see out the rear windows. There is also a hesitation with the engine when driving down the road. I wish I had my the van I traded this in for. I have driven earlier models of the Equinox before, and the blindspots aren't an issue like they are with this model. Not happy with the gas mileage either. The interior isn't roomy when it comes the front seating area. If you drop something in between, you might as well forget about getting it back.

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate the blind spots! Make it roomier in the front seating area or at least make the middle counsel removable.

Good Overall Value and Style
By wavesherwood

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Great versatility. Beautiful vehicle in and out. Only problem we have had so far is the rough engine idle which dealer says is unduplicatable but they did update computer program. that helped some, but we are still experiencing some intermittent rough engine idle especially when sitting at stoplights. Blind spots and camera depth perception makes backing up tricky.

Favorite Features

Rear back-up camera, stereo and blue tooth capabitilities, solid handling and the beautiful distinctive Crystal Tint Red exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Improve back-up camera depth deception, blind spots and fine tune the engine idle problems. Also, a little wider track would lend greater handling response and turning stability. Go Chevy engineering!

Great Car But Has Rough Idle at Times
By sos7

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I got my 2012 Chevy Equinox back in April of 2012. I love the car but at times the car has a rough idle, and is even worse with the "ECO" button on. It doesn't get the gas mileage that GM has promised.

Favorite Features

The heat and air condition is great, and the audio jack to in my car so I can listen to music on my iPhone is great!

Suggested Improvements

Fix the idle!!