Used 2012 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Why would you need a HORN?!
By connie

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We have owned out 2012 Equinox since Dec. of 2011. Beginning in Jan. of 2015 the horns have gone out 4 times. Thanks to the extended warranty we purchased when we bought the car , they have been replaced 3 times. The first time they went out the dealer said it was a very unusual happening , this was January 2015. Mar. 2015 they quit working again and were replaced with the comments that they didn't think they had ever replaced them twice on a vehicle like this. May 2015---out again. This time I made a call directly to GM and was told that this hasn't happened before. I really don't care about before but do care about my car. After explaining the horn troubles twice they decided that it might be water but DUH I live in northern Iowa and the roads do get wet! They then transferred me to a senior advisor and I retold my story. Her solution was that I had bought the extended warranty so no problem--get them fixed. I said I had 50,000 miles left but at the rate they horns were going out I would have to return to the dealer 25 more time. Her response was simply that the warranty would cover them!! Who cares--each time it is a 20mile drive each way , and about an hour repair time...WHO is reimbursing me for that? She then suggested that I not use the car wash, the same one I had washed it in for the first 3 years of ownership and the horns were fine . Again MY PROBLEM not theirs! The solution that was finally given my dealership was to drill holes in the horns for water to seep out..so after the last car wash I did not have horns for 2 weeks while I waited for the water to drain. Second complaint--- at 59,000 miles the seat is cracking. I was already very unhappy with the leather seats due to the little tiny holes in the leather that fill with any little piece of whatever is on them . The only way to get them clean is to poke each little hole with a toothpick. Not satisfied but I know it is me getting the stuff on the seats so I was tolerating this. But torn seats !! Not happy. It has only twice in 3 years met the advertised 30 mpg. 21 to 26 is much more normal-again disappointing! Needless to say an Equinox will not on my list of vehicles to purchase again!

piece of crap
By amber

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My truck I bought new and It don't start lights come on won't turn over jerks when you accelerate tire pressure comes on at least 2 times a month

Jumpy Shifting and Stalling Out
By Ryan Toombs

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My wife and I bought the 2012 Equinox only a month ago as a Certified Pre-Owned with only 39,000 miles on it. One short month and 1,000 miles later, the check engine light came on. The actuator had to be replaced. No big deal since it was under warranty. The vehicle also shifts very hard/jumpy, like you are being slowly rear-ended. We recently stalled out in a McDonald's drive-thru because of this issue. I was told that the hard shifting of the Equinox is one of the biggest complaints they receive at the dealer. They informed me it is just how the vehicle drives and that I would get used to it. My wife doesn't want to get used to it. No going back for me, but hopefully I saved you trouble!

The seats are comfortable, which is good for when your vehicle stalls and you have to sit and wait for a tow.

How about notifying customers of the potential transmission issue? You know, just in case they have a child (like we do) and would view a potential stalled vehicle as a safety concern. But, I guess that would be too honest, and potentially cost the dealership money.

Disappointing
By Zachary A. Horn

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car was great for the first few years I owned it. I bought this car new with 15 miles on it in early 2012. I drive about 30,000 miles a year between work and personal use, and performed all recommended maintenance. Around 50k or 60k miles the car started running rough in between oil changes. When I started checking the oil levels more frequently I noticed it was using 2-3 quarts of oil in between oil changes (performed every 5,000-7,000 miles even though the owner's manual recommends 15,000). At 80k the timing belt broke. At 85k it used 3 quarts 1,500 miles after an oil change. It is currently at the dealership having the engine rebuilt. Fortunately I have 15k of warranty left.

Nice mpg, comfortable cab, and smooth ride. I love the standard XM radio.

Apparently these cars have a reputation for falling apart around 60k miles. Numerous owner boards report the same pattern I describe above. They start using oil, and it is all downhill from there. Fortunately I am dealing with a good dealership that has been proactive in trying to fix the car and cause as little inconvenience to me as possible. But that doesn't make up for the fact that a 3 year old car with less than 100k miles on it has to have the engine replaced/rebuilt. The engine's poor reputation and the fact I put a lot of miles on a vehicle has left me with a car barely worth what I owe on it under a 5 year repayment plan. As soon as it is fixed - it is gone.

Decent kind of Chevy Car but avoid the Cloth Seats
By smashmouth99

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car already has 60,000 miles and we bought it brand new in January 2012. Although i got to say don't get the jet black cloth seats because they are not comfortable at all its like sitting on a desk. Although this car gets me from point A to point B without any problems the gas gets good mileage and it really stands out for a compact SUV.

Radio styling, Sunroof, Rear Seats recline back and foward, Gas Mileage, Sound System

Make the Cloth Seats more comfortable! Even the new equinox didn't fix that problem the aux cord needs to support the newer Iphones because it doesn't support my Iphone 5 and better acceleration for the 4 cylinder