Used 2012 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

A typical 4 cylinder Automatic.
By David T.

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I drive a 2012 equinox LT2 FWD daily and have had no issues with it and it august 2015. It a SUV with a 4 cylinder engine so if you consider the weight to engine size of course it going to be a little slow a typical 4 without turbo. MPG is great I get 32 on long trips and 23city mix driving. I do notice the transmission jerk once in awhile when going 15-40 when I let off gas and step on again when approaching a light. I believe it is just the flywheel catching up again nothing to worry about. All automatics shift different. If you don't like automatic consider a CVT. I also own a 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5 Touring.

If you have one, Get rid of it or by a lot oil
By charles

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

If you have the four cylinder model you'll need a new bank loan for the amount of oil it uses. I've had to have the top end rebuilt at around 50,000 mi. It uses 3-4 qts/5000 mi synthetic oil change at the dealership. (It's the only way to keep the warranty valid) Service blamed the top end repair on the "owner" for not changing the oil often enough and "Chevrolet made it right." The oil has been faithfully changed at 7500 mi. Suggested changes are 10000 mi. What a load of Cr*#p when you read all of the forums with users complaining about the crummy engine. Chevrolet should recall the vehicle for defective engines. This is my last Chevrolet..... Government Motors needs help!

Why would you need a HORN?!
By connie

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We have owned out 2012 Equinox since Dec. of 2011. Beginning in Jan. of 2015 the horns have gone out 4 times. Thanks to the extended warranty we purchased when we bought the car , they have been replaced 3 times. The first time they went out the dealer said it was a very unusual happening , this was January 2015. Mar. 2015 they quit working again and were replaced with the comments that they didn't think they had ever replaced them twice on a vehicle like this. May 2015---out again. This time I made a call directly to GM and was told that this hasn't happened before. I really don't care about before but do care about my car. After explaining the horn troubles twice they decided that it might be water but DUH I live in northern Iowa and the roads do get wet! They then transferred me to a senior advisor and I retold my story. Her solution was that I had bought the extended warranty so no problem--get them fixed. I said I had 50,000 miles left but at the rate they horns were going out I would have to return to the dealer 25 more time. Her response was simply that the warranty would cover them!! Who cares--each time it is a 20mile drive each way , and about an hour repair time...WHO is reimbursing me for that? She then suggested that I not use the car wash, the same one I had washed it in for the first 3 years of ownership and the horns were fine . Again MY PROBLEM not theirs! The solution that was finally given my dealership was to drill holes in the horns for water to seep out..so after the last car wash I did not have horns for 2 weeks while I waited for the water to drain. Second complaint--- at 59,000 miles the seat is cracking. I was already very unhappy with the leather seats due to the little tiny holes in the leather that fill with any little piece of whatever is on them . The only way to get them clean is to poke each little hole with a toothpick. Not satisfied but I know it is me getting the stuff on the seats so I was tolerating this. But torn seats !! Not happy. It has only twice in 3 years met the advertised 30 mpg. 21 to 26 is much more normal-again disappointing! Needless to say an Equinox will not on my list of vehicles to purchase again!

piece of crap
By amber

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My truck I bought new and It don't start lights come on won't turn over jerks when you accelerate tire pressure comes on at least 2 times a month

Jumpy Shifting and Stalling Out
By Ryan Toombs

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My wife and I bought the 2012 Equinox only a month ago as a Certified Pre-Owned with only 39,000 miles on it. One short month and 1,000 miles later, the check engine light came on. The actuator had to be replaced. No big deal since it was under warranty. The vehicle also shifts very hard/jumpy, like you are being slowly rear-ended. We recently stalled out in a McDonald's drive-thru because of this issue. I was told that the hard shifting of the Equinox is one of the biggest complaints they receive at the dealer. They informed me it is just how the vehicle drives and that I would get used to it. My wife doesn't want to get used to it. No going back for me, but hopefully I saved you trouble!

The seats are comfortable, which is good for when your vehicle stalls and you have to sit and wait for a tow.

How about notifying customers of the potential transmission issue? You know, just in case they have a child (like we do) and would view a potential stalled vehicle as a safety concern. But, I guess that would be too honest, and potentially cost the dealership money.