2011 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Review: Seems Okay After 2100 miles

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Review

Seems Okay After 2100 miles
By lazy_bones on

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I came to the Equinox from a 2005 Cadillac CTS. While the old car was a Caddy, it WAS 7 years old. It had the 3.6L, and got 25 mpg everywhere. It had features that this 'Nox hasn't even thought of - easy tilt control, large voice vocabulary, better rear and side vision. I get around 26-27 mpg with my 4-cyl, but have already almost had two accidents because I didn't see other cars in my two blind spots (the Caddy wasn't blind in these areas, so I guess I have to learn all over again). It handles and rides very well, and I like the remote start and power lift-gate. Radio controls hard to reach from the driver's seat.

Favorite Features

remote start, power lift gate, digital display, very comfortable driver's seat. Seems zippier than I expected for a V4.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage is not where GM said it would be. Sometimes remote start won't work where other remote options (unlock, etc) will. Put in a tilt control like the one in the Caddy. Low beam headlights are a joke - not bright and not far down the road.
By bpollen
on 06/05/11 04:40 AM (PDT)

The mileage estimates are by the EPA, not by the car manufacturers. They are not real world mpg estimates. What they are good for is comparing one vehicle with another, not for expecting that you will get that mileage. Real world mgp is never the same as the EPA estimates. It will be either less or more, but not the same. Besides, in the real world, it's almost impossible to get the true mpg you're getting. The best you can do is approximate. Check out consumer reports and other sources, if you want to know real world mileage. The Prius, for example, supposedly gets 51mpg in the city; CR reports that in their tests, over the course of several months, they got 30-something in city driving. But they got more in hwy driving than the EPA estimate for hwy. I'll look up the Equinox and post what CR says was their real world mileage.