Digusted with the Equinox
By cmesmile32 on
2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
My Equinox just rolled up 3000 miles, it has been in the shop more than it has been on the road. I bought this vehicle for the gas mileage, the window sticker said 32 mpg Hwy, the best I have gotten is 24mpg and I do not drive it hard. I keep getting the excuse from the dealer that there is a lot of ethanol in the gas, so I tried Shell Premium gas and it went to a whopping 26 mpg. The loud start up noise turned into the timing chain being changed, then the cam shaft automaters being changed........needless to say, I have contacted GM and am waiting to see what can be done. This vehicle stalled out on me in traffic and I do not feel safe in it.
Favorite Features
Nice design, too bad the mechanical parts don't match the quality of the design
Suggested Improvements
Find a new engine to put in the new models
By chevyfan4
on 08/27/11 16:36 PM (PDT)

I've had my 2011 Equinox 2LT (4 cyl) (FWD) since Oct and have had no problems with it. Now at 13,500 miles and I still love it. My milage on the highway is consistantly 30/33. Combined average is around 23/25 and city is around 17/18. I didn't expect Camero like performance from an SUV no matter what the engine is. Just a great car from Chevy for what it's designed for.

By jrt_banks
on 09/20/11 21:52 PM (PDT)

Ok. I got mine May 25 and on June 18th drove it from Ohio to South Carolina with NO problems. Got dream gas, was perfectly happy with my purchase. Ever since, I've wanted to blow the dang thing up. It's the most annoying SUV ever. My gas mileage went down DRASTICALLY. Im talking, half a tank I would get MAYBE 160? It also started making really ODD and LOUD noises when I would start the car. I would turn it on and you would hear a nu nu nu nu nu like a vibrating duh duh duh that would last for a a couple seconds and then be done, but then its STILL loud running. it sounds like an older car that has running problems and is just a crap engine. With the air on it is even LOUDER and hesitates to the point a smart car could out run me merging on the highway. It has horrible lag. Sometimes it feels like it will be randomly riding over gravel or something and it just is annoying. After I hit 40mph it starts becoming very hesitent and u can feel it when you drive. it also makes a noise where it wants to shift gears but it can so its stuck reving low. ALSO when i put it in reverse it idles REALLY rough and makes an annoying noise in the dahsboard. The other day i remote started it and it died. and then i was sitting in traffic and it kept clicking in the engine and then, died.. hate how 27k went to a POS !!

By unhpy_custmr
on 10/04/11 06:14 AM (PDT)

Chevy is DEFINATELY aware of this but obviously are trying to get by it. They have recalled the cam shaft, which is what is making your car stall. Mine does/did the same thing and its been in the shop SIX times. It also makes really loud noise on start up and they claimed that was normal as well. I know these are making these cars be lemons and chevy needs to take responsibilty instead of us losing money. I have involved my attorney last week and Chevy has been in contact with me, FINALLY, several times now...this is proof they do not want a class action law suit, which is what this is going to lead to if they refuse to fix these issues!

By algoma_jeff
on 09/09/11 22:40 PM (PDT)

2008 Equinox 3.4 V6 I have had good fuel mileage until this summer in New York State. Possibly fuel is being depowered. My engine struggled on hills and sucked lots of gas. Got different gas and the problems went away. ( Lots of ethanol can ruin a fuel system quickly if the car is not set up for it.) cmesmile32 mentioned Shell gas. Their fuel may be better now, but years ago was the worst fuel to use up here in Ontario, Canada. Something like the stuff I got in NY State. Damaged two vehicles with their gas. Try a better brand, like Mobil; and don't use premium - it is supposed to run worse. Just my 3 cents worth.

By tturlich
on 11/30/11 07:04 AM (PST)

I spent 35k on this POS! I bought in July and it has died on interstate TEN times. Yesterday it wouldn't even start the first time I tried to start it! can you say LEMON!!

By okcthunder1
on 08/26/11 17:53 PM (PDT)

Something is not right with the EPA's mpg calculation for the 4 cylinder Equinox. A Kia Sportage, also with a 2.4 liter, 176 HP engine, is also rated at 22 MPG city, 32 MPG highway. However the Sportage has a better drag coefficient than the Equinox, and weighs 643 FEWER pounds (3186 vs. 3829). And they get the same mileage? I don't think so. I would advise "buyer beware" when it comes to counting on the Equinox delivering the stated mpg.

By sickened3539
on 09/12/11 06:21 AM (PDT)

I have the SAME problem! I have a 2011 with 9000 miles on it and since it has had 1000 miles it has been in the shop SIX times! It is in the shop right now and has been there for over a week and is still not repaired. The cam shaft actuators have been replaced THREE times, it sounds like a diesle semi when I turn it on and it stalls at random times when I'm driving. I have been in contact with Chevy daily and get no where. I am pursuing an attorney as this seems to be a huge problem and is a MAJOR safety hazard. Good luck, DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE!

By cmesmile32
on 08/25/11 10:52 AM (PDT)

Since I wrote this review, it has been back in the shop to have solenoids replaced and then it was shifting so rough, it went back to have the transmission reprogrammed and it stalled on me today! It is going back to the shop today. If anyone else has an Equinox with issues, I would love to know!