Cold blood car
By mgibby on
2011 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
In August 2011 I purchased my Equinox with only 145 miles. Fine until Jan 2012 (A nice Wisconsin morning at 15+ below zero). Driving on the interstate and the SUV started to chug and actually shut down while I was driving. My SUV would not go any faster than 5 mph. A few hrs later, I drove to the local gas station to do a test drive (Less than two miles). SUV seemed to be fine; however, on the way back.. it started to chug again. At 4pm, I tried driving the SUV home... made it 7 miles and it did it again. Called the dealership and they found nothing. However, it is cold again (Jan 2013) here in WI and my car is doing a repeat performance. My SUV has been in/out of the shop the four times.
Favorite Features
Finally, (Lucky for me) one of the techs took my SUV home overnight and the next morning it happened to her (Proving I am not crazy). The dealership followed GMs recommendations and informed me my car was as good as new but yesterday (less than a week later), it happened again and my SUV is back at the dealership. Today I actually called GM and expressed my concerns.... so now I wait. One thing the dealership and GM both said is ... this is not a common problem or at least this has not been reported. So please share if you have similiar problems with your Equinox. Thanks!
By afoley12
on 04/29/13 09:22 AM (PDT)

Hello! This has also recently happened to me, and my 2011 Equinox actually stopped running when I was going around the corner. The dealer told me it was a valve that the oil is fed into and when the oil is too low, the valve stops working and the car shuts down. I think that this is pretty scary considering if it happened on the highway, I would be in a lot more trouble. It's running fine now, but I'll never buy a Chevrolet again. I also experienced chugging when stopping at stop lights right before this happened, so make sure to check your oil and have it changed (in an effort to save you from your car stopping on you completely).