BUMMER, WE TRADED THE EXPLORER FOR THIS?
By billg10 on
2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
After 1.75 years and 28,000 miles. Mileage: With cruise control set and "Eco" on, car averages 24.5 @ 75, 25.5 @ 70, 26.8 @ 62. Local driving about 21. Respectable, but a far cry from the advertised 32 Hwy. Performance: What a Slug! From 45 up, it can't get out of its own way. Handling/ride/brakes are good. Very roomy interior, reasonably comfortable. Exceptional back seat leg room. Lots of road noise at highway speeds. Driving controls are okay, but the big Heat/AC/Radio central display is confusing. We traded a nice '06 Explorer with leather for this, based largely on the advertised mileage. I'd rather have the Ford back than the extra 4 mpg we actually got, it was twice the car
Favorite Features
I don't like this car much. It's not terrible and my wife is happier with it than I am, but I wouldn't buy another one. That said; It has been dependable, with no problems at all so far. Fit and finish are very good, although a little plain looking inside. Interior use of space is excellent. The driver seating position is a bit odd but seems to work, even after 12 hour trips. Styling is distinctive. My kids say it looks like an angry bug from the front.
Suggested Improvements
Stop lying about the mileage. The car gets 26 or 27, just like its competitors. Admit it. More sound insulation in the floor and doors. Get the USB & Aux inputs out of the console storage bin and onto the dash where they belong. HUGE blind spots behind the front pillars. Slim them down somehow.
By billg10
on 01/20/13 11:37 AM (PST)

Update 1/20/13 I take back what I said about it being dependable. In the shop twice over the last 2 months, first time for a bad computer module and just last week needed a new transmission control valve & reprogramming. Started car one morning and just wouldn't move when put in Drive. I had noticed some rough shifting under hard accelerations when merging. Covered under warranty and dealer fine, but still cost $150 towing and the hassle. One more problem and I'm dumping.