Used 2011 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

First and last GM Car
By edauburn

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

There is no other way to say it except to say GM lied about the mpg. The only time i ever achieved 32 mpg was driving 45 mph, by myself with no AC. And i drive like a grandma. The transmission is not at all smooth, and at times when shifting vibrated the entire car. Just listen to one idling in the parking lot with the AC on. It sounds terrible. I took a huge loss and dumped this car after 14,000 miles. I am amazed that GM was able to get away with advertising 22/32 mpg. I am not a big conspiracy theorist, but on this one, i don't have any other explanation. I have owned more than 15 cars. This is the first one i have ever owned where i couldn't get anywhere near the advertised mpg

noisy engine
By dissatisfied11

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

my 2011 equinox obviously has an internal engine problem, this noisy engine history dates back to the early 2010"s and GM has first-hand knowledge because of all the complaints, and there is probably thousands. However, GM refuses to step-up and stand behind their warranty. I have engaged an attorney to resolve the matter. Therefore, I strongly suggest that any one in the market for a cross-over SUV to NOT PURCHASE the 4 cyl engine. It is TERRIBLE!!!!

handling

Scrap the current 4 cyl design and start over, maybe getting help from BMW!!!!

Eqinox is a Lemon
By hogfanfu

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

A week after purchase I drove the car from MO to FL. The car performed as expected and I averaged over 25 MPG or > 475 miles per tank. At 3000 miles I devloped a knock in the engine. I took it to dealership where they ordered and installed a brand new engine (2 weeks in shop). Since then, I'm averaging 16 MPG or < 300 miles per tank. Rattling has also developed in the dash and driving me crazy. I have taken to the dealership twice and they say everything is normal. I strongly disagree! I now have 6500 miles on my lemo and plan to file a lasuit if something is not done soon.

Interior design, leather heated seats, sunroof, sliding back seat, DVD player.

Engine reliablity, Chevy to be honest about MPG.

Equinox a winner for Chevrolet
By chevyfan4

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I can't help writing about the Equinox since I believe that it is heads and shoulders above the normal Chevy that I have had in the past. There seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with the gas milage on the 4 cyl, however, I believe that it's right on. My highway milage has been 31/33 mpg consistantly, summer or winter. When I say highway I mean just highway. Not going from my home to the highway and not including the ramp, just plain highway at speeds of 65 to 70 mph. I'm sure that if I were to travel at 55 it would be even better. When these cars are rated I can assure you that they are put on a track in good weather with no other vehicles around and once up to speed are checked.

First and foremost it's the milage. For a vehicle of this size it's impressive. Secondly it's the remarkably comfortable quiet ride. The quality is impressive. I really like the movable rear seat. I have used that many times and it's a great feature. The back up camera screen in the rear view mirror is exactly where it should be and works great. Even though the 4 cyl engine won't win any races, it's still quick enough to get going when you need it. Remember we don't have a race car here, it's a midsized SUV with great gas milage and I bought it for that purpose. I use my Cruze turbo for zipping around.

Any improvements that I would suggest would only put me in the Cadillac level, but that would also put me in a much higher price bracket. I think that Chevy has done a great job on this vehicle and I love mine just the way it is. For the price and the quality of vehicle I don't think you can go wrong.

Nightmare engine issues
By mcgerm

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

You may want to read some of the experiences of 2011 buyers who are having problems with the 4-cyl engine making noises at startup and stalling. Check out the Edmunds town hall messages. GM has not been so good about getting a solid fix for the 2011′s as best as I can tell from the posts. Maybe they have gotten in front of the issues with the 2012 but I have not been able to find any press releases or statements saying they have. If I had read the Edmunds board before buying my Equinox 3 months ago I would be avoiding the nightmare I am in now.

Like the styling