2011 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
As Advertised 2nd report
By ronguy on 05/25/11 10:53 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Returned from my 2nd 740 mile round trip to Rochester, MN and and am happy to report that this time I averaged 32.3 mpg on the highway. I did not drive over 65 miles per hour even though in MN the speed limit is 70. On the way home I averaged 29 mpg but attribute it the very high winds all the way home. Very happy with the Equinox.

Equinox V6 LT2
By red_rider on 05/25/11 08:54 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I recently purchased an Equinox and absolutely love it. I'm glad I got the v6, because it is perfect when you need that boost of speed. I currently get 19.8 mpg driving 90% city and 10% highway. This is because I coast a lot of the time when I see a red light. I think eventually it might hit 19 mpg, but I'm not really looking for good gas mileage since I drive maybe 100 miles a week.

Equinox MPG
By kazoo_blue on 05/15/11 11:03 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've seen several reviews by people saying they do not get any where near the advertised mpg but on my trip from Kazoo Michigan to Lexington Ky. and back we averaged just a shade under 30 mpg and the vehicle just rolled over 3,000 miles so I expect that it will improve the mpg as the miles roll up. Fun, quiet, comfortable ride on the trip. Wife drives 70+ and I drive 70.

Loud engine knock at cold start up.
By arveejay on 05/15/11 06:29 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The car is very comfortable to drive with lots of leg room. It handles just fine, looks great and rides great. My only concern so far is the 2.4L engine rattle at cold start. It sounds like there is no oil in the engine for several seconds and then quiets right down. Even after dealer changed the oil and filter at 1000 miles the noise is still there. If my dealer can fix the noise before the engine shells out, I'll be very happy with it. I'm sure I won't still have it when the warranty is nearing running out.

Things To Consider
By suv4years on 05/02/11 15:57 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned three Trailblazers and loved them. The Traverse was too big for me and has low mpg. I bought the Equinox last week because of its size and mpg ratings. On the first tank of gas around town I got 26 mpg according to my math, 25.2 according to the car computer. This will improve after about 1500 miles.

As advertised
By ronguy on 05/02/11 13:29 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned my 2011 Equnox 2LT FWD now for 2 months and am very pleased. I initially took the car on a 740 mile round trip the 1st week and only got 28 mpg. My city driving averaged 18mpg. Now after 2 months and 2000 miles I have just been doing city driving and am getting 21.87 mpg in the city. There are stretches of 1/2 mile or so before I hit a light or stop sign. The amount of stops vary depending where you live so maybe I live in an area that requires less stop and go. I do drive with a light foot and realized that if I release my foot from the gas pedal after it goes into the 2nd gear and then reapply lightly the instant fuel mileage gauge immediately jumps to 22-28 mpg from 12-16 mpg

Disappointed
By time2go on 05/02/11 08:21 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Less than 2 weeks ago I purchased the 2011 Equinox. The ONLY reason I traded evhicles was for better gas mileage. The "sticker" said the Equinox would get 22mpg city and 32mpg highway, DO NOT BELIEVE IT! Now I have been told by Chevy Corp. that it will take at least 3000 miles before one could Possibly see that kind of mileage. But, understand, you are not tole that up-front. Buying the Equinox in one of the worst decisions I have ever made. I will not encourage anyone to buy a Chevy productt ever again. I am totally disgusted and disappointed. Whatever hapen to "truth" in advertising. No wonder dealerships have such a bad reputation.

Not bad?
By vonirkinshtine on 04/21/11 12:34 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My wife and I were drawn to the Equinox by all the advertised features packed into a compact SUV. The exterior styling is nice, and the interior fits both her (5'1") and me (6'1") just fine. The rear seats leave plenty of room for actual adults or a substantial excursion to the home improvement store. But, with 8000 miles this thing makes all sorts of odd noises. Something in the back is making some sort of rhythmic popping noise, and the seat belt tensioner sounds like the Tin Man. Overall I question the longevity of this SUV. The transmission does whatever it wants, and it makes odd noises when you crank it. Oh, and 32mpg? On what planet?

Bummer MPG
By tismb on 04/14/11 07:15 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I did a lot of research before I purchased my 2011 Equinox. I trusted the ratings, most notably the mpg as stated on Edmunds and USNews. I think I'm averaging around 22 mpg, when I anticipated much, much more!! The stated 32 mpg for highway driving was the deciding factor in my selection and, despite having taken a few road trips, I have not come close to that number. I thought this was maybe a mechanical problem until I read the other reviews. While I love the vehicle, I have been majorly disappointed in the gas mileage.

Seems Okay After 2100 miles
By lazy_bones on 04/14/11 07:07 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I came to the Equinox from a 2005 Cadillac CTS. While the old car was a Caddy, it WAS 7 years old. It had the 3.6L, and got 25 mpg everywhere. It had features that this 'Nox hasn't even thought of - easy tilt control, large voice vocabulary, better rear and side vision. I get around 26-27 mpg with my 4-cyl, but have already almost had two accidents because I didn't see other cars in my two blind spots (the Caddy wasn't blind in these areas, so I guess I have to learn all over again). It handles and rides very well, and I like the remote start and power lift-gate. Radio controls hard to reach from the driver's seat.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox in WA is:

$107 per month*