Used 2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Poor gas mileage
By darlenem

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2011 Equinox new on January 1st. 2011. I have approx. 13,000 miles on it. I like almost everything about the vehicle except the gas mileage. I researched SUV's for several months before deciding on this one. My main buying point was that it had to have good gas mileage. This one said it had 27/32. I am lucky to get 26, and that is on the highway driving on a flat road with nothing but myself in the car. I've checked the mileage every time I fill it up; it's never gotten better than 26. I was told it would get better mileage after I had my first oil change. This is a lie on Chevy's part. I wouldn't have bought the car if I'd known that was the absolute best it would ever get.

Favorite Features

I like the looks of the car, it's comfortable and it's really roomy. I really like the automatic opener on the trunk. The sunroof is a nice feature, but you really can't look out of it unless you tilt your head back pretty far. Kind of hard to do while driving. I like the looks of the control panel, but I find it very hard to get the air conditioning vents adjusted right. The last couple of times I've started it, it sounds really bad, guess it's time to go back to the dealer. Other than bad gas mileage, it's a pretty nice car.

Suggested Improvements

More padding on the rear hatch, mine started sqeeking around 10,000 miles. They put more padding in it a couple months ago and it's starting to do it again. Better gas mileage would be really nice, especially with the prices skyrocketing now.

Lots of features, disappointing MPG
By angieb25

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've had my Equinox for about a year now and have had no problems. It drives smooth. It's roomy. I like how the back seat slides back and forth, so you can add room where you need it. I like how the sunroof slides AND tilts. I really like having a USB port. It makes it so easy to listen to my music. The rearview camera is very helpful, and almost neccesary. The stereo sounds good too, but you may have to adjust it to your liking. I like the fact that I was able to go 8,000 miles before I needed an oil change. And even though I don't have AWD, it handles the snow and ice well.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth for phone, USB port, sliding back seat, rearview camera.

Suggested Improvements

They should have a setting that automatically turns on the defrost when you use the remote start. They already have a setting that automatically turns on the a/c, so why not one for defrost too? The gas mileage is a little disappointing. I drive about 85% highway and only get 25 MPG overall. They should change their advertised estimated MPG.

Only 4 payments down and been to the shop 3 times! GARBAGE!!!
By tturlich

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought mine in July and not even two weeks later the car would randomly shut off when DRIVING! Then after about a month or so it would make load noises when starting up. Brought to dealership three times and all they did was put 250 miles on it driving it around to see why it stops rather can contacting someone who might know what to do. Now yesterday I went to start the vehicle and it wouldnt even start! Let me remind you I bought it brand new and have only had it since July! One more time to the shop and you better believe I will be contacting a lawyer for a Lemon Law! This is my first new vehicle and my last from GM. My honda accord had 170,000 miles and I never even once had a problem.

7 payments down & 8 trips to the dealer for repair
By grace_d_jr

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Love the car for every day use due to the value and style of the equinox. However, we have had several issues with our chevy. Started with a check engine light with less then 2K on the clock, (3K) loud noises upon start up, (9K) steering wheel felt like it would "lock up" while driving, rough idel, interior parts and molding not fitting/working. Chevy refused to extend warranty nor would they assist with a trade in towards a new Equinox...it says a lot about a product when the mfg will not stand behind it and give an additional 3 yr warranty. As far as the MPG goes...it has been pretty close to the 22MPG listed in town driving.

Favorite Features

Looks great. Lots of leg room in front and back seats. plenty of cargo space for a family of 3.

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your product and offer a longer warranty!

Why Chevy Still Doesn't Get It
By dhoff457

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought a 2011 Equinox and loved it - until yesterday. Five months old and the car simply died - while driving on the highway at 60 mph. Not what you'd expect from a new car - stuff happens but what happened next clarifies why with all the gains they've made, Chevy has a LONG way to go when it comes to understanding and serving their customer. When we the car died, we were able to pull over and call OnStar. They remotely diagnosed the issue (power train and transmission problems). But at this point they told us we needed to call ahead to the dealer to let them know we were getting towed there and they would not forward their diagnosis info to the dealer ("they'll run their own").

Suggested Improvements

To follow up my review - when a five month old car dies, I feel CHEVY should be helping to mitigate our experience in any way they reasonably can; they should have called the dealer and informed them of the issues they had initially diagnosed. Then we found out we couldn't get a loaner car for at least 24 hours until the dealer diagnoses the problem! My friend who owns a used Mercedes gets a free loaner when he brings the car for something as simple as an oil change! He's in the market for a new car - I'd been pushing him to consider a Chevy; after hearing our experience, he's now crossed it off his list.