2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
Eqinox is a Lemon
By hogfanfu on 08/28/11 06:18 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

A week after purchase I drove the car from MO to FL. The car performed as expected and I averaged over 25 MPG or > 475 miles per tank. At 3000 miles I devloped a knock in the engine. I took it to dealership where they ordered and installed a brand new engine (2 weeks in shop). Since then, I'm averaging 16 MPG or < 300 miles per tank. Rattling has also developed in the dash and driving me crazy. I have taken to the dealership twice and they say everything is normal. I strongly disagree! I now have 6500 miles on my lemo and plan to file a lasuit if something is not done soon.

Equinox a winner for Chevrolet
By chevyfan4 on 08/27/11 12:55 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I can't help writing about the Equinox since I believe that it is heads and shoulders above the normal Chevy that I have had in the past. There seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with the gas milage on the 4 cyl, however, I believe that it's right on. My highway milage has been 31/33 mpg consistantly, summer or winter. When I say highway I mean just highway. Not going from my home to the highway and not including the ramp, just plain highway at speeds of 65 to 70 mph. I'm sure that if I were to travel at 55 it would be even better. When these cars are rated I can assure you that they are put on a track in good weather with no other vehicles around and once up to speed are checked.

Nightmare engine issues
By mcgerm on 08/26/11 21:37 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

You may want to read some of the experiences of 2011 buyers who are having problems with the 4-cyl engine making noises at startup and stalling. Check out the Edmunds town hall messages. GM has not been so good about getting a solid fix for the 2011′s as best as I can tell from the posts. Maybe they have gotten in front of the issues with the 2012 but I have not been able to find any press releases or statements saying they have. If I had read the Edmunds board before buying my Equinox 3 months ago I would be avoiding the nightmare I am in now.

Digusted with the Equinox
By cmesmile32 on 08/19/11 15:12 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My Equinox just rolled up 3000 miles, it has been in the shop more than it has been on the road. I bought this vehicle for the gas mileage, the window sticker said 32 mpg Hwy, the best I have gotten is 24mpg and I do not drive it hard. I keep getting the excuse from the dealer that there is a lot of ethanol in the gas, so I tried Shell Premium gas and it went to a whopping 26 mpg. The loud start up noise turned into the timing chain being changed, then the cam shaft automaters being changed........needless to say, I have contacted GM and am waiting to see what can be done. This vehicle stalled out on me in traffic and I do not feel safe in it.

Very Disappointed Equinox Owners
By johnnygl on 08/18/11 19:57 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The shifting is very eratic and very rarely smooth. The shift between 2nd and 3rd is usually very hard. The hard shifting can lift my back off the seat. It is especially noticable during the first drive of the day even after warming the engine. We also started noticing a hesitation when accelerating between 0 and 20 mph. Then we noticed an abnormal fluttering or shuddering of the engine or transmission while driving in upper gears. This vehicle's performance is worthy of a trade-in. To be quite honest, this car has caused my wife and I more anxiety and frustration than it is worth. It is in the shop for the 4th time and all the technicians can say is "we can't find any codes.

Good MPG
By dloimartin on 08/17/11 14:38 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I recently traded a 2005 Buick Lacrosse CXS for an Equinox 2LT. Buick was a great car but struggled to get 28 MPG over 60 MPH. Looking for a little better gas mileage and interior room. We travel with friends a lot and my wife has restless leg so back seat room is imperative. The Equinox excels in seating comfort. We now have about 900 miles on the Chevy and took it for a road trip over the weekend. I averaged 31.4 MPG according to the computer. I have the 4 cylinder with the Eco switch. I made sure I used this setting on the trip. If this is to be the norm for this vehicle, we will have a long happy relationship.

So far, So good!
By trailstrider on 08/02/11 09:27 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased this vehicle a couple of weeks ago. Prior to buying this car, I owned a 10 year old truck that got 15 mpg on the highway. My first week of driving was mainly around town showing people my new car. Gas mileage was just ok at around 21 mpg. I was hoping for better. I finally got to do a road trip (Around 150 miles) and I got 27.7 mpg on the highway. On the return home trip I got 28.5 mpg. I really notice a difference in gas mileage when driving 65 vs 75. If you drive this car between 65 and 70 on the highway you will get better than 25 mpg. If you are constantly on the gas, you will get closer to 20.

honest review
By hale1 on 08/02/11 09:07 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Equinox 4 weeks ago and I love it. I saw a lot of negative reviews out there so I was a little worried, but once you drive the thing you are sold! MPG was the biggest complaint I read, but people have to realize you have to drive like a granny and it will get the EPA MPG. If I pay attention to my gas pedal I average about 24 around town and I drove it on the interstate/backroads to the lake house and got 31mpg. It should get better once broke in about 5000 miles. Interior is amazing and I love the way it drives. Some complain about the controls on the radio being hard to reach, but why reach when its on your steering wheel? Great Chevy at a great price. LS w/ blue tooth 22000.

Very good car!
By red_rider on 07/26/11 14:24 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought an LT2 V6 Equinox. I've had this car for a few months now and am still enjoying it. Just the right amount of hp and torque to go through the yellow lights and entering the highway. Averaging about 19.6 mpg each tank, which beats my old car at 15mpg.

Regret buying
By sweetswife on 07/26/11 08:45 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After driving a Lexus RX350, I wanted a similiar size vehicle w/ better gas mileage and lower payments. I definitely got the lower payments, but was suckered on the gas mileage. Lexus got around 22 mpg & after driving the Equinox 10 months now, I'm lucky to get 24mpg. I even bought the 4 cyl to improve gas mileage and this was also a huge mistake b/c it has absolutely no power. Visiblility is horrible in the rear and side. Interior controls for door locks aren't even on the doors, which is very awkward. Cruise control switch is also poorly placed on the steering wheel and very easy to accidently switch off when driving. I'm already looking to sell this vehicle and go back to an import

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox Suv in VA is:

$86 per month*