2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
Nightmare engine issues
By mcgerm on 08/26/11 21:37 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

You may want to read some of the experiences of 2011 buyers who are having problems with the 4-cyl engine making noises at startup and stalling. Check out the Edmunds town hall messages. GM has not been so good about getting a solid fix for the 2011′s as best as I can tell from the posts. Maybe they have gotten in front of the issues with the 2012 but I have not been able to find any press releases or statements saying they have. If I had read the Edmunds board before buying my Equinox 3 months ago I would be avoiding the nightmare I am in now.

Digusted with the Equinox
By cmesmile32 on 08/19/11 15:12 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My Equinox just rolled up 3000 miles, it has been in the shop more than it has been on the road. I bought this vehicle for the gas mileage, the window sticker said 32 mpg Hwy, the best I have gotten is 24mpg and I do not drive it hard. I keep getting the excuse from the dealer that there is a lot of ethanol in the gas, so I tried Shell Premium gas and it went to a whopping 26 mpg. The loud start up noise turned into the timing chain being changed, then the cam shaft automaters being changed........needless to say, I have contacted GM and am waiting to see what can be done. This vehicle stalled out on me in traffic and I do not feel safe in it.

Very Disappointed Equinox Owners
By johnnygl on 08/18/11 19:57 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The shifting is very eratic and very rarely smooth. The shift between 2nd and 3rd is usually very hard. The hard shifting can lift my back off the seat. It is especially noticable during the first drive of the day even after warming the engine. We also started noticing a hesitation when accelerating between 0 and 20 mph. Then we noticed an abnormal fluttering or shuddering of the engine or transmission while driving in upper gears. This vehicle's performance is worthy of a trade-in. To be quite honest, this car has caused my wife and I more anxiety and frustration than it is worth. It is in the shop for the 4th time and all the technicians can say is "we can't find any codes.

Good MPG
By dloimartin on 08/17/11 14:38 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I recently traded a 2005 Buick Lacrosse CXS for an Equinox 2LT. Buick was a great car but struggled to get 28 MPG over 60 MPH. Looking for a little better gas mileage and interior room. We travel with friends a lot and my wife has restless leg so back seat room is imperative. The Equinox excels in seating comfort. We now have about 900 miles on the Chevy and took it for a road trip over the weekend. I averaged 31.4 MPG according to the computer. I have the 4 cylinder with the Eco switch. I made sure I used this setting on the trip. If this is to be the norm for this vehicle, we will have a long happy relationship.

So far, So good!
By trailstrider on 08/02/11 09:27 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased this vehicle a couple of weeks ago. Prior to buying this car, I owned a 10 year old truck that got 15 mpg on the highway. My first week of driving was mainly around town showing people my new car. Gas mileage was just ok at around 21 mpg. I was hoping for better. I finally got to do a road trip (Around 150 miles) and I got 27.7 mpg on the highway. On the return home trip I got 28.5 mpg. I really notice a difference in gas mileage when driving 65 vs 75. If you drive this car between 65 and 70 on the highway you will get better than 25 mpg. If you are constantly on the gas, you will get closer to 20.

honest review
By hale1 on 08/02/11 09:07 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Equinox 4 weeks ago and I love it. I saw a lot of negative reviews out there so I was a little worried, but once you drive the thing you are sold! MPG was the biggest complaint I read, but people have to realize you have to drive like a granny and it will get the EPA MPG. If I pay attention to my gas pedal I average about 24 around town and I drove it on the interstate/backroads to the lake house and got 31mpg. It should get better once broke in about 5000 miles. Interior is amazing and I love the way it drives. Some complain about the controls on the radio being hard to reach, but why reach when its on your steering wheel? Great Chevy at a great price. LS w/ blue tooth 22000.

Very good car!
By red_rider on 07/26/11 14:24 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought an LT2 V6 Equinox. I've had this car for a few months now and am still enjoying it. Just the right amount of hp and torque to go through the yellow lights and entering the highway. Averaging about 19.6 mpg each tank, which beats my old car at 15mpg.

Regret buying
By sweetswife on 07/26/11 08:45 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After driving a Lexus RX350, I wanted a similiar size vehicle w/ better gas mileage and lower payments. I definitely got the lower payments, but was suckered on the gas mileage. Lexus got around 22 mpg & after driving the Equinox 10 months now, I'm lucky to get 24mpg. I even bought the 4 cyl to improve gas mileage and this was also a huge mistake b/c it has absolutely no power. Visiblility is horrible in the rear and side. Interior controls for door locks aren't even on the doors, which is very awkward. Cruise control switch is also poorly placed on the steering wheel and very easy to accidently switch off when driving. I'm already looking to sell this vehicle and go back to an import

Gas Mileage and 4 cylinder engine performance
By 58tr3 on 07/22/11 15:55 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I traded a 350 hp hemi dodge truck on the 180 hp AWD LT2 Equinox. While there there is a big difference in engine performance between the two vehicles, the Equinox 4 banger is still quite peppy. I read that others have said the car is slow from a dead start and that is true unless you really give the throttle a good mash. More throttle produces much more response. My biggest gripe is that 3,780 lb, 180 hp engine is averaging only 21.5 mpg. The 6,000+ lb, 350 hp hemi multidisplacement engine was not far behind this with 18-19 mpg. My wife's Jeep Liberty V6 averages more than the Equinox. Although fun to drive, I am disappointed in the gas mileage.

Nice Vehicle
By jeffskiing on 07/19/11 12:34 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a LT2 with the V6 engine. I've had it for about a week now, and love it. It handles very well, and the interior quality is very good. The steering wheel controls take some getting used to, but are great! I have had several compliments on the car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox Suv in VA is:

$86 per month*