Used 2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Good and bad points
By chrisco716

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Have owned 2011 LT2 Equinox for about a year and a half. Bought it new. The Good - Nice looking and drives pretty well. Comfortable for passengers. Good options like heated seats, power everything including automatic opening tailgate. AWD. Nice computer. The Bad - Does not achieve expected mileage. We consistently average a little over 19 mpg in mixed driving conditions. Only about 24 mpg highway. Drivers seat uncomfortable... I have to put a rolled up towel in the bottom back to keep from getting back pains. The Ugly - It's a dog driving in the mountains or even getting up to highway speeds. The automatic transmission also seems a bit rough when accelerating hard.

Favorite Features

Appearance. Features/Options. Handling (with exception of acceleration).

Suggested Improvements

Improved drivers seats (that don't feel like you're sitting in an acute angle canyon). I would have purchased the 6cyl model if I had a do-over for more power. The 4cyl model does not achieve expected gas mileage anyway.

BUMMER, WE TRADED THE EXPLORER FOR THIS?
By billg10

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After 1.75 years and 28,000 miles. Mileage: With cruise control set and "Eco" on, car averages 24.5 @ 75, 25.5 @ 70, 26.8 @ 62. Local driving about 21. Respectable, but a far cry from the advertised 32 Hwy. Performance: What a Slug! From 45 up, it can't get out of its own way. Handling/ride/brakes are good. Very roomy interior, reasonably comfortable. Exceptional back seat leg room. Lots of road noise at highway speeds. Driving controls are okay, but the big Heat/AC/Radio central display is confusing. We traded a nice '06 Explorer with leather for this, based largely on the advertised mileage. I'd rather have the Ford back than the extra 4 mpg we actually got, it was twice the car

Favorite Features

I don't like this car much. It's not terrible and my wife is happier with it than I am, but I wouldn't buy another one. That said; It has been dependable, with no problems at all so far. Fit and finish are very good, although a little plain looking inside. Interior use of space is excellent. The driver seating position is a bit odd but seems to work, even after 12 hour trips. Styling is distinctive. My kids say it looks like an angry bug from the front.

Suggested Improvements

Stop lying about the mileage. The car gets 26 or 27, just like its competitors. Admit it. More sound insulation in the floor and doors. Get the USB & Aux inputs out of the console storage bin and onto the dash where they belong. HUGE blind spots behind the front pillars. Slim them down somehow.

Air cond vents & actual gas mileage
By rheda

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

1) The placement of air conditioner vents on the dash is bad. If you are the driver, both of your vents are positioned where the air only hits your hands & the back of the steering wheel. I did not notice this when I bought the vehicle or I would not have purchased it. If they would have left out the little storage compartment & put the vents closer to the middle of the dash, you could feel the a/c but as it is, your face gets hot and your hands freeze. 2) Most importantly, this car DOES NOT get close to 32 MPH. I've driven it for nearly 2 years now and even on long trips, the best mileage I've ever gotten was 23.5. They need to be more realistic in advertising.

Favorite Features

The seats are very comfortable and the room is amazing. There is so much leg room in the back seat as well as in the cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Move air conditioner vents to middle of the dash and do something about the poor gas mileage.

2011 Chevy Equinox - kept it only 9 months
By carrollmdtech

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

sadly, this was an under performing SUV, in no way reached the sticker MPG rate. I was in the low to mid 20's at highway speeds everyday. After 3rd time to the dealer repair for warranty work, for 3 different problems, i.e. ceiling lights did not stay in, grinding sound in rear wheels when turning, poor gas mileage. the lights were fixed satisfactorily, the grinding sound was repaired, but returned. The gas mileage was never what was stated,

Disappointing City MPG, Good Highway
By mallit38

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Despite people complaining about MPG, I bought my Equinox about 6 weeks ago. My city mileage has been significantly below the 22 MPG EPA rating, but surprisingly, I did get 32 MPG on a long road trip with a fully loaded vehicle. So far, I have enjoyed driving my Equinox, having upgraded from an 09 Pontiac Torrent. The vents don't blow right on me, but the A/C is capable and delivers very cold air. I'm not super tall, but if it weren't for the steering wheel controls, I would have a heck of a time operating the radio. Beware, the driver's side has a bad blind spot, but having the same issue with my Torrent, I am used to it. Use your mirrors and look over your shoulder and it'll be fine.

Favorite Features

*Sound system *Standard bluetooth *Sliding and folding down rear seats *Long range remote fob *Strong A/C system, a must for people living in the south like me *Extra insulation to lower cabin noise, extremely quiet ride

Suggested Improvements

*Make the radio controls more easily accessible *Better vent placement *Have one touch window controls that go BOTH up and down, instead of just one touch down *This will sound stupid, but put a blue ring around the hazard button in the center, it looks weird *Put the power door locks on the door and not in the center console.