2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
MPG not expected
By heresmyopinion on 04/01/12 21:54 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought this car thinking GM was building better more fuel efficient automobiles. Had the car for a year now and all I can say is I should have bought the subaru, it's a proven car where the Equinox hasn't proven anything yet. Love the design inside and out, quality is ok but for power and gas milage it's a HUGE dissapointment. With 21,000 miles we haven't seen better than 23mpg (thats all highway) and average around 21mpg. My wife test drove the car so I never felt the power until we brought it home, feels underpowered to say the least. And there's alot of rattling going on in the back. This car is however very quiet and comfortable, a fun little suv to drive. If ur buying for mpg, don't.

Great Suv to Look At
By robgrv on 03/22/12 19:22 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Engine had lots of power and ran well new till it got about 300 miles and then it started "fishing" GM's words. they replaced cam censors. Then it ran good for awhile and then started again. The more miles I put on it the worse it is getting. GM won't fix

Poor gas mileage
By darlenem on 03/11/12 20:39 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2011 Equinox new on January 1st. 2011. I have approx. 13,000 miles on it. I like almost everything about the vehicle except the gas mileage. I researched SUV's for several months before deciding on this one. My main buying point was that it had to have good gas mileage. This one said it had 27/32. I am lucky to get 26, and that is on the highway driving on a flat road with nothing but myself in the car. I've checked the mileage every time I fill it up; it's never gotten better than 26. I was told it would get better mileage after I had my first oil change. This is a lie on Chevy's part. I wouldn't have bought the car if I'd known that was the absolute best it would ever get.

Lots of features, disappointing MPG
By angieb25 on 01/10/12 09:13 AM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've had my Equinox for about a year now and have had no problems. It drives smooth. It's roomy. I like how the back seat slides back and forth, so you can add room where you need it. I like how the sunroof slides AND tilts. I really like having a USB port. It makes it so easy to listen to my music. The rearview camera is very helpful, and almost neccesary. The stereo sounds good too, but you may have to adjust it to your liking. I like the fact that I was able to go 8,000 miles before I needed an oil change. And even though I don't have AWD, it handles the snow and ice well.

Only 4 payments down and been to the shop 3 times! GARBAGE!!!
By tturlich on 11/30/11 06:46 AM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought mine in July and not even two weeks later the car would randomly shut off when DRIVING! Then after about a month or so it would make load noises when starting up. Brought to dealership three times and all they did was put 250 miles on it driving it around to see why it stops rather can contacting someone who might know what to do. Now yesterday I went to start the vehicle and it wouldnt even start! Let me remind you I bought it brand new and have only had it since July! One more time to the shop and you better believe I will be contacting a lawyer for a Lemon Law! This is my first new vehicle and my last from GM. My honda accord had 170,000 miles and I never even once had a problem.

7 payments down & 8 trips to the dealer for repair
By grace_d_jr on 11/23/11 17:14 PM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Love the car for every day use due to the value and style of the equinox. However, we have had several issues with our chevy. Started with a check engine light with less then 2K on the clock, (3K) loud noises upon start up, (9K) steering wheel felt like it would "lock up" while driving, rough idel, interior parts and molding not fitting/working. Chevy refused to extend warranty nor would they assist with a trade in towards a new Equinox...it says a lot about a product when the mfg will not stand behind it and give an additional 3 yr warranty. As far as the MPG goes...it has been pretty close to the 22MPG listed in town driving.

Why Chevy Still Doesn't Get It
By dhoff457 on 11/16/11 05:16 AM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought a 2011 Equinox and loved it - until yesterday. Five months old and the car simply died - while driving on the highway at 60 mph. Not what you'd expect from a new car - stuff happens but what happened next clarifies why with all the gains they've made, Chevy has a LONG way to go when it comes to understanding and serving their customer. When we the car died, we were able to pull over and call OnStar. They remotely diagnosed the issue (power train and transmission problems). But at this point they told us we needed to call ahead to the dealer to let them know we were getting towed there and they would not forward their diagnosis info to the dealer ("they'll run their own").

Love it - LOVE IT - but wait, the check engine light just came on...
By t4r4me on 11/06/11 17:10 PM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

At 7800 miles I was driving to pick up a Pizza tonight thinking I should write a review on how much I love this Equinox. But on the ride home the check engine light came on and it stalled! I really do love this SUV. The styling and materials are top notch for the price. I love the handling and it is clear there are European underpinnings being used. It is very surefooted. I like the transmission and it makes good use of the 4 cylinder.

poor mileage and runs poorly
By robgrv on 11/02/11 20:01 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The car ran great when new, now has 4500 miles on it and it starts to shake/missing when it lugs down in gear. Dealer said nothing was wrong so taking it to another dealer. This morning it made a grinding noise when I started it. Junk

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
By tbarnes1 on 10/17/11 12:36 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I am the type of person that usually reads reviews and discards the few out there that may be negative. I plead with you to not disregard this review. I purchased a NEW 2011 chevy equinox back in March and have nothing but problems with it since I drove it off the lot. Have intermitent stalling, engine hesitation when accelerating, and rattle at startup. I've taken it back to the dealer 3 times to resolve the issue (every time leaving with them saying it's fixed). Just had it stall YET AGAIN. I've submitted paperwork for Lemon Law b/c I WANT MY MONEY BACK. Do NOT buy this car if you are looking for a reliable vehicle. Now I have to fight to keep my family safe & get my money back!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox Suv in VA is:

$86 per month*