2011 Equinox has horrible mpg!
By kaczara13 on
2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
I'm in Michigan, drive 38 miles each way to work, 28 hwy. I had a Subaru Outback AWD and would get 24 in winter and 27 in summer. rural roads the other 10 miles. I bought this car with FWD to get better mileage, in Oct, 2010. The mpg is ridiculous! I was getting 24.4-.7 in fall, now that I've lowered speed "Under" 70 mph I can get 25, oh boy! I am fighting with GM to return it. This mpg is false advertising. daughters' Honda CRV w/AWD gets 27 hwy! It's not right to falsify the testing. They told me (GM employees) that the "Fed's" ok'd the testing in "controlled"environment and 48 is " ave. hwy speed". Heater is also poor in under 20 deg. and Horrible blind spot passenger side!
Favorite Features
The looks is all I can compliment it on. ITs stylish and pretty.. But looks like the CRV and Sorrento.
Suggested Improvements
Change-fix the advertising. This car with small engine and blocky front will never get 32 mpg at normal hwy speeds of 65-70. I spoke to a GM engineer who said it wont and was amazed at this advertising. The design will not provide it. His term:" Its built like a bill board, too flat in front and tall".
By midilink
on 02/02/11 07:00 AM (PST)

I think someone should contact an attorney and file a class action lawsuit.

By steve19666
on 05/15/11 12:35 PM (PDT)

I also just purchased a 2011 Chevy Equinox, 2LT, 4cyl that advertized 32 mpg. I have only owned this car for just over a week and one of the worst mistakes I have ever made! The best mpg I can get is 25.7 mpg and low as 23 mpg - all highway driving! I called the dealership and they said, "Well, you do live in the Hill Country (Texas)". Not the correct answer I wanted to hear after spending $29K on a vehicle I selected for the advertised 32 mpg. If there is ever a class-action suit, I want to be included. I feel I've been had by false advertisement.

By kelseytcu
on 08/19/11 08:37 AM (PDT)

I was getting a little frustrated with the mpg so I started switching my display screen to show instantaneous fuel economy...for city driving I'm getting the best mpg in the 40-50 mph range (obviously a bit too fast for the average city), and for highway driving I have to stay within the 60-70 mph range to get the best mpg. Since I started watching the instantaneous instead of just looking at the average, I feel a bit better about it. The eco button helps slightly on long highway trips too.