Used 2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Poor pick up on 4Cyl but what do you expect when it has a 5k pound vehicle to carry!
By jrt_banks

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2011 Equinox May 25. So far, I LOVE IT! **I'm knocking on wood through this whole post too** I bought a black one with the cloth interior. I already have put 3k miles on it. 2 weeks after I bought the car we went on vacation to Hilton Head SC from Ohio. roughly 690 miles each way. I filled the tank 2 times but it only took us a tank and a half (if even) to get all the way there! On the way back I filled it one and a half times and was still on the second tank for almost a week! I think you just have to break the car in to get the gas mileage expected. Down there we avr. 27mpg (lots of mnts) and on the way back i was up to 31mpg. Pick up is stalled, But its 4cyl wat do u expect

Favorite Features

Backup Camera, Sunroof, Remote Start, Bluetooth, Child safety features, design, gas, sound system and OnStar. The backup camera saved me from hitting a little girl who had ran right behind me. Where her parents were who knew but if I didn't have it I would not have seen her!!! Averaging 24 combined gas mileage. I drive mostly city too which we have many stop lights. Remote start is great for cooling your car down in advance. Cant wait till I use it this winter with a newborn and preschooler! No more trips out in the cold to heat the car up forever!!! OnStar is awesome. I really enjoy them, they are always so nice. Worth paying for. Esp. for safety reasons with children.

Suggested Improvements

Interior cloth is weird. The bumps or ridges it has makes wearing shorts or dresses uncomfortable when driving for a long period of time. I know its for breathing but it leaves imprints on your butt and legs that almost feel sore when you get up! Akward cupholders. A big cup gets in the way of the gears. I couldn't imagine a stick shift. Bad blind spot in the front to the right. I always have to lean up in my seat to make sure no cars are there. Pick up is not good while getting on the highway but that is expected while it IS a 4cyl carrying all of that weight!! So I cant really complain! Thats why they make a 6cyl too! Door lock buttons are weird too. I literally locked myself in once.

Loving my Equinox!!
By 4hotrod

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2011 Equinox on May 31st. This is after 2 yrs of test drives & reading reviews. We had it narrowed down to the Hyundai Tucson and the Equinox, we even drove them both to the same place for side by side comparison. I just turned over 3000 miles and average 27-28 mpg combined city and hwy. I anticipate that it will keep improving as it breaks in more. I drive 140 miles a day round trip to work and the comfort is unbelievable, rear leg room is amazing and I like being able to increase the storage in the back my simply moving the seat forward a little bit. Minor body adjust was needed in rear quarter panel after 200 mile, due to squeaking noise but all else is perfect.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth phone feature, memory seat for 2 drivers, comfort and easy of driving and the quietness in the cabin. It is so nice to be able to have a conversation in the car with out the road noise being so loud.

Suggested Improvements

Rear vents for climate control, express up option for the 1 touch windows. Down is great but when it is raining up is good too.

Fuel mileage
By aj1949

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Chevrolet estimates the fuel mileage at 32 mpg for highway use. I am averaging 21 mpg highway use. I questioned the Chevrolet dealership if they good make some adjustment to increase the mileage and I was told if there were no warning lights on that everything was performing properly. It would be interesting to see how GM comes up with their numbers. It certainly isn't real world data. Most of my driving is highway and normal speed limits with air conditioning on, no mountains.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage Improve realibility

MPG+other
By ownone

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

How to get best MPG. My test runs: 55mph 2 people in vehicle ECO mode ~36mpg 65mph 2 people in vehicle ECO mode + cruise control ~33.9mpg. In town average with ECO mode on ~26-28mpg with. Listed high way mpg was 38 for this vehicle when I bought it. This I already new was not possible. Look people you have to ease on the gas and I will guarentee it will get the above mpg unless there is a defect. Even the service shop people were amazed I get this kind of mpg as most customers complain they don't. Its all in how you drive it. Also expect to get different MPG if you live in the hills. I live in the valley in CA where the high ways are flat and straight for the most part.

Favorite Features

Multiple 12V sockets, radio input jack, Subwoofer, xm radio, rims, tire pressure display, trip distance display, free road side assistance,

Suggested Improvements

Increase the displacement between the driver side air vents and or place one more on top of the dashboard which shoots ~130 degrees. Add 1,2 air vents for the rear passengers with shut off capability. Availability of fog lights for all models.

Very pleased with Equinox
By johndg

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We purchased a 2011 Equinox LT2 in January 2011. My wife wanted leather heated seats so we were required to buy the LT2 model. The vehicle our dealer found for us had the optional sunroof and power rear hatch, and is painted black with a black interior. We now have more than 10,000 miles on the Equinox and have had only one problem - it failed to start (jump starting worked and we took it to a dealer where the problem was fixed.) This has since been a recall item which requires that the dealer reprogram one of the onboard computers - it has been fixed on current production vehicles.

Favorite Features

We really like the quiet ride and easy handling of the Equinox. It is easy to get into and out of both in the front and back seats. The rear seat room is amazing and the ride is very comfortable. The sound system is excellent. Our milage was less than advertized - 23 or 24 for our normal driving and 26 or 27 for highway driving - but since warm weather has arrived, it has gotten much better. We are currently getting 24 to 26 for our normal driving and over 30 on the highway. I suspect that the improvement can be attributed to a number of causes: the Equinox is broken in, it takes less time to warm up the engine in summer, and the gasoline formulations change from winter to summer.

Suggested Improvements

Overall, we are very happy with our Equinox. It seemed to take a long time to get close to the advertised milage, so it would be nice if that milage could be gotten right from the start. Everything works like it is supposed to, so, other than the initial milage issue, it is hard to come up with any other suggestions for improvement. The only warrenty issue we had was fixed, and the problem has been addressed both as a recall and in ongoing production. This is a great vehicle and I recommend it without reservations.