Used 2011 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Digusted with the Equinox
By cmesmile32

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My Equinox just rolled up 3000 miles, it has been in the shop more than it has been on the road. I bought this vehicle for the gas mileage, the window sticker said 32 mpg Hwy, the best I have gotten is 24mpg and I do not drive it hard. I keep getting the excuse from the dealer that there is a lot of ethanol in the gas, so I tried Shell Premium gas and it went to a whopping 26 mpg. The loud start up noise turned into the timing chain being changed, then the cam shaft automaters being changed........needless to say, I have contacted GM and am waiting to see what can be done. This vehicle stalled out on me in traffic and I do not feel safe in it.

Nice design, too bad the mechanical parts don't match the quality of the design

Find a new engine to put in the new models

Very Disappointed Equinox Owners
By johnnygl

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The shifting is very eratic and very rarely smooth. The shift between 2nd and 3rd is usually very hard. The hard shifting can lift my back off the seat. It is especially noticable during the first drive of the day even after warming the engine. We also started noticing a hesitation when accelerating between 0 and 20 mph. Then we noticed an abnormal fluttering or shuddering of the engine or transmission while driving in upper gears. This vehicle's performance is worthy of a trade-in. To be quite honest, this car has caused my wife and I more anxiety and frustration than it is worth. It is in the shop for the 4th time and all the technicians can say is "we can't find any codes.

We fell in love with the elegant exterior appearance the first time we saw one. I love the rims, 17in tires, 4 wheel traction control, and twilight blue metallic paint job. Stereo is nice. This is my wife's car and she loves the back-up camera, compartment space, and interior styling. These nice features can help to take your mind off the hesitations, fluttering, shuddering and jerkiness of our car's engine and transmission. We also like the hands free phone system. This comes in handy while we leave another voice mail with our Chevrolet district customer service representative.

Chevrolet sold us a poor performing vehicle. Our service technician said our car was "herkey jerkey." My wife believes that not all Equinox's perform like ours. I would like the Chevy engineers to fix our engine and transmission. The plastic storage compartments are not very durable. The latch on one has already broke. The leather seats needed to be redesigned. Our dealer stuffed ours with some type of filler because they were sagging or buckling. The back door lock also stuck and needed dealer attention. Chevy could also eliminate the loud, obnoxious whizzing sound that comes from under the hood when we turn the car off.

Good MPG
By dloimartin

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I recently traded a 2005 Buick Lacrosse CXS for an Equinox 2LT. Buick was a great car but struggled to get 28 MPG over 60 MPH. Looking for a little better gas mileage and interior room. We travel with friends a lot and my wife has restless leg so back seat room is imperative. The Equinox excels in seating comfort. We now have about 900 miles on the Chevy and took it for a road trip over the weekend. I averaged 31.4 MPG according to the computer. I have the 4 cylinder with the Eco switch. I made sure I used this setting on the trip. If this is to be the norm for this vehicle, we will have a long happy relationship.

Seating comfort. Great MPG. Fun to drive.

So far, So good!
By trailstrider

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased this vehicle a couple of weeks ago. Prior to buying this car, I owned a 10 year old truck that got 15 mpg on the highway. My first week of driving was mainly around town showing people my new car. Gas mileage was just ok at around 21 mpg. I was hoping for better. I finally got to do a road trip (Around 150 miles) and I got 27.7 mpg on the highway. On the return home trip I got 28.5 mpg. I really notice a difference in gas mileage when driving 65 vs 75. If you drive this car between 65 and 70 on the highway you will get better than 25 mpg. If you are constantly on the gas, you will get closer to 20.

I love the looks of this car. I feel like I'm in a cockpit when driving it. I got the LT1 so I like having On-Star, bluetooth, backup camera, Remote Start, eco-mode, traction control, and XM radio. Nice wheels and sharp design. Looks much better than previous ones.

honest review
By hale1

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Equinox 4 weeks ago and I love it. I saw a lot of negative reviews out there so I was a little worried, but once you drive the thing you are sold! MPG was the biggest complaint I read, but people have to realize you have to drive like a granny and it will get the EPA MPG. If I pay attention to my gas pedal I average about 24 around town and I drove it on the interstate/backroads to the lake house and got 31mpg. It should get better once broke in about 5000 miles. Interior is amazing and I love the way it drives. Some complain about the controls on the radio being hard to reach, but why reach when its on your steering wheel? Great Chevy at a great price. LS w/ blue tooth 22000.

interior, blue tooth ( has understood me everytime!), handling, sliding rear seats, and QUIET.

None