2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV 2.4L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2011 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

2011 Equinox Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
A Very Questionable Investment
By erthfriend

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I was surprised seeing that this car rated 4 out of 5 stars. The gas mileage was supposed to be 32, but we never got better than 23 mpg. Even allowing for the AWD, we expected upper 20s. There was always a rattling coming from the engine that sounded like pins and needles shaking in a tin can. At 60K, I took it in for an oil change and the dealer could find no oil on the stick at all. No oil pressure guage. No warning light. At 80K, the oil use was only worsening. The dealer said it warranted a ring job. Since the warranty was expiring at 100K, we traded it in on a Prius V, taking a $6K hit. The GM people are some of the best. Too bad this is a crappy car.

Favorite Features

The cabin and the ride are the best parts of the Equinox experience. You can see videos on You Tube showing the interior. It's almost like a space ship. Ours had a sunroof that we almost never used, and bluetooth that we used all the time. The interior is very similar to the Chevy Cruze, on a much larger scale.

Suggested Improvements

I think it all comes down to two words: Quality Control. Whether the fault lies in the engineering(I am guessing it does since our complaints seem fairly well represented in these comments), or the manufacture, someone needs to control quality at GM. A pretty car with a comfortable ride should be a bonus, not a saving grace.

BUMMER, WE TRADED THE EXPLORER FOR THIS?
By billg10

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After 1.75 years and 28,000 miles. Mileage: With cruise control set and "Eco" on, car averages 24.5 @ 75, 25.5 @ 70, 26.8 @ 62. Local driving about 21. Respectable, but a far cry from the advertised 32 Hwy. Performance: What a Slug! From 45 up, it can't get out of its own way. Handling/ride/brakes are good. Very roomy interior, reasonably comfortable. Exceptional back seat leg room. Lots of road noise at highway speeds. Driving controls are okay, but the big Heat/AC/Radio central display is confusing. We traded a nice '06 Explorer with leather for this, based largely on the advertised mileage. I'd rather have the Ford back than the extra 4 mpg we actually got, it was twice the car

Favorite Features

I don't like this car much. It's not terrible and my wife is happier with it than I am, but I wouldn't buy another one. That said; It has been dependable, with no problems at all so far. Fit and finish are very good, although a little plain looking inside. Interior use of space is excellent. The driver seating position is a bit odd but seems to work, even after 12 hour trips. Styling is distinctive. My kids say it looks like an angry bug from the front.

Suggested Improvements

Stop lying about the mileage. The car gets 26 or 27, just like its competitors. Admit it. More sound insulation in the floor and doors. Get the USB & Aux inputs out of the console storage bin and onto the dash where they belong. HUGE blind spots behind the front pillars. Slim them down somehow.

Wish I had not bout it. MPG is a joke
By mtitus

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought a new 2011 LT2 for my wife. She loves the looks and it is comfortable and relatively fun to drive. Only relaibility problem in the first 9000 miles was a squeak in the headliner, which the dealer fixed. Main complaint is horrible mpg as compared to GM's advertised 32 mpg highway. Just got back from a Kansas City to Denver trip. Used the eco button and cruise and got 24 mpg. If you want higher mpg, I would suggest the subaru outback. Wish I had that instead.

Suggested Improvements

MPG is pathetic compared to adversited 32 mpg.

First and last GM Car
By edauburn

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

There is no other way to say it except to say GM lied about the mpg. The only time i ever achieved 32 mpg was driving 45 mph, by myself with no AC. And i drive like a grandma. The transmission is not at all smooth, and at times when shifting vibrated the entire car. Just listen to one idling in the parking lot with the AC on. It sounds terrible. I took a huge loss and dumped this car after 14,000 miles. I am amazed that GM was able to get away with advertising 22/32 mpg. I am not a big conspiracy theorist, but on this one, i don't have any other explanation. I have owned more than 15 cars. This is the first one i have ever owned where i couldn't get anywhere near the advertised mpg

noisy engine
By dissatisfied11

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

my 2011 equinox obviously has an internal engine problem, this noisy engine history dates back to the early 2010"s and GM has first-hand knowledge because of all the complaints, and there is probably thousands. However, GM refuses to step-up and stand behind their warranty. I have engaged an attorney to resolve the matter. Therefore, I strongly suggest that any one in the market for a cross-over SUV to NOT PURCHASE the 4 cyl engine. It is TERRIBLE!!!!

Favorite Features

handling

Suggested Improvements

Scrap the current 4 cyl design and start over, maybe getting help from BMW!!!!

Eqinox is a Lemon
By hogfanfu

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

A week after purchase I drove the car from MO to FL. The car performed as expected and I averaged over 25 MPG or > 475 miles per tank. At 3000 miles I devloped a knock in the engine. I took it to dealership where they ordered and installed a brand new engine (2 weeks in shop). Since then, I'm averaging 16 MPG or < 300 miles per tank. Rattling has also developed in the dash and driving me crazy. I have taken to the dealership twice and they say everything is normal. I strongly disagree! I now have 6500 miles on my lemo and plan to file a lasuit if something is not done soon.

Favorite Features

Interior design, leather heated seats, sunroof, sliding back seat, DVD player.

Suggested Improvements

Engine reliablity, Chevy to be honest about MPG.

Equinox a winner for Chevrolet
By chevyfan4

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I can't help writing about the Equinox since I believe that it is heads and shoulders above the normal Chevy that I have had in the past. There seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with the gas milage on the 4 cyl, however, I believe that it's right on. My highway milage has been 31/33 mpg consistantly, summer or winter. When I say highway I mean just highway. Not going from my home to the highway and not including the ramp, just plain highway at speeds of 65 to 70 mph. I'm sure that if I were to travel at 55 it would be even better. When these cars are rated I can assure you that they are put on a track in good weather with no other vehicles around and once up to speed are checked.

Favorite Features

First and foremost it's the milage. For a vehicle of this size it's impressive. Secondly it's the remarkably comfortable quiet ride. The quality is impressive. I really like the movable rear seat. I have used that many times and it's a great feature. The back up camera screen in the rear view mirror is exactly where it should be and works great. Even though the 4 cyl engine won't win any races, it's still quick enough to get going when you need it. Remember we don't have a race car here, it's a midsized SUV with great gas milage and I bought it for that purpose. I use my Cruze turbo for zipping around.

Suggested Improvements

Any improvements that I would suggest would only put me in the Cadillac level, but that would also put me in a much higher price bracket. I think that Chevy has done a great job on this vehicle and I love mine just the way it is. For the price and the quality of vehicle I don't think you can go wrong.

Very Disappointed Equinox Owners
By johnnygl

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The shifting is very eratic and very rarely smooth. The shift between 2nd and 3rd is usually very hard. The hard shifting can lift my back off the seat. It is especially noticable during the first drive of the day even after warming the engine. We also started noticing a hesitation when accelerating between 0 and 20 mph. Then we noticed an abnormal fluttering or shuddering of the engine or transmission while driving in upper gears. This vehicle's performance is worthy of a trade-in. To be quite honest, this car has caused my wife and I more anxiety and frustration than it is worth. It is in the shop for the 4th time and all the technicians can say is "we can't find any codes.

Favorite Features

We fell in love with the elegant exterior appearance the first time we saw one. I love the rims, 17in tires, 4 wheel traction control, and twilight blue metallic paint job. Stereo is nice. This is my wife's car and she loves the back-up camera, compartment space, and interior styling. These nice features can help to take your mind off the hesitations, fluttering, shuddering and jerkiness of our car's engine and transmission. We also like the hands free phone system. This comes in handy while we leave another voice mail with our Chevrolet district customer service representative.

Suggested Improvements

Chevrolet sold us a poor performing vehicle. Our service technician said our car was "herkey jerkey." My wife believes that not all Equinox's perform like ours. I would like the Chevy engineers to fix our engine and transmission. The plastic storage compartments are not very durable. The latch on one has already broke. The leather seats needed to be redesigned. Our dealer stuffed ours with some type of filler because they were sagging or buckling. The back door lock also stuck and needed dealer attention. Chevy could also eliminate the loud, obnoxious whizzing sound that comes from under the hood when we turn the car off.

Good MPG
By dloimartin

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I recently traded a 2005 Buick Lacrosse CXS for an Equinox 2LT. Buick was a great car but struggled to get 28 MPG over 60 MPH. Looking for a little better gas mileage and interior room. We travel with friends a lot and my wife has restless leg so back seat room is imperative. The Equinox excels in seating comfort. We now have about 900 miles on the Chevy and took it for a road trip over the weekend. I averaged 31.4 MPG according to the computer. I have the 4 cylinder with the Eco switch. I made sure I used this setting on the trip. If this is to be the norm for this vehicle, we will have a long happy relationship.

Favorite Features

Seating comfort. Great MPG. Fun to drive.

Very good car!
By red_rider

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought an LT2 V6 Equinox. I've had this car for a few months now and am still enjoying it. Just the right amount of hp and torque to go through the yellow lights and entering the highway. Averaging about 19.6 mpg each tank, which beats my old car at 15mpg.

Favorite Features

I noticed this car came with Michelin tires, which are pretty much the best tires to have. I especially love the sunroof and blue tooth features.