2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
BUMMER, WE TRADED THE EXPLORER FOR THIS?
By billg10 on 08/25/12 13:47 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After 1.75 years and 28,000 miles. Mileage: With cruise control set and "Eco" on, car averages 24.5 @ 75, 25.5 @ 70, 26.8 @ 62. Local driving about 21. Respectable, but a far cry from the advertised 32 Hwy. Performance: What a Slug! From 45 up, it can't get out of its own way. Handling/ride/brakes are good. Very roomy interior, reasonably comfortable. Exceptional back seat leg room. Lots of road noise at highway speeds. Driving controls are okay, but the big Heat/AC/Radio central display is confusing. We traded a nice '06 Explorer with leather for this, based largely on the advertised mileage. I'd rather have the Ford back than the extra 4 mpg we actually got, it was twice the car

Wish I had not bout it. MPG is a joke
By mtitus on 09/03/11 20:07 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought a new 2011 LT2 for my wife. She loves the looks and it is comfortable and relatively fun to drive. Only relaibility problem in the first 9000 miles was a squeak in the headliner, which the dealer fixed. Main complaint is horrible mpg as compared to GM's advertised 32 mpg highway. Just got back from a Kansas City to Denver trip. Used the eco button and cruise and got 24 mpg. If you want higher mpg, I would suggest the subaru outback. Wish I had that instead.

First and last GM Car
By edauburn on 08/31/11 09:08 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

There is no other way to say it except to say GM lied about the mpg. The only time i ever achieved 32 mpg was driving 45 mph, by myself with no AC. And i drive like a grandma. The transmission is not at all smooth, and at times when shifting vibrated the entire car. Just listen to one idling in the parking lot with the AC on. It sounds terrible. I took a huge loss and dumped this car after 14,000 miles. I am amazed that GM was able to get away with advertising 22/32 mpg. I am not a big conspiracy theorist, but on this one, i don't have any other explanation. I have owned more than 15 cars. This is the first one i have ever owned where i couldn't get anywhere near the advertised mpg

noisy engine
By dissatisfied11 on 08/29/11 09:02 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

my 2011 equinox obviously has an internal engine problem, this noisy engine history dates back to the early 2010"s and GM has first-hand knowledge because of all the complaints, and there is probably thousands. However, GM refuses to step-up and stand behind their warranty. I have engaged an attorney to resolve the matter. Therefore, I strongly suggest that any one in the market for a cross-over SUV to NOT PURCHASE the 4 cyl engine. It is TERRIBLE!!!!

Eqinox is a Lemon
By hogfanfu on 08/28/11 06:18 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

A week after purchase I drove the car from MO to FL. The car performed as expected and I averaged over 25 MPG or > 475 miles per tank. At 3000 miles I devloped a knock in the engine. I took it to dealership where they ordered and installed a brand new engine (2 weeks in shop). Since then, I'm averaging 16 MPG or < 300 miles per tank. Rattling has also developed in the dash and driving me crazy. I have taken to the dealership twice and they say everything is normal. I strongly disagree! I now have 6500 miles on my lemo and plan to file a lasuit if something is not done soon.

Equinox a winner for Chevrolet
By chevyfan4 on 08/27/11 12:55 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I can't help writing about the Equinox since I believe that it is heads and shoulders above the normal Chevy that I have had in the past. There seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with the gas milage on the 4 cyl, however, I believe that it's right on. My highway milage has been 31/33 mpg consistantly, summer or winter. When I say highway I mean just highway. Not going from my home to the highway and not including the ramp, just plain highway at speeds of 65 to 70 mph. I'm sure that if I were to travel at 55 it would be even better. When these cars are rated I can assure you that they are put on a track in good weather with no other vehicles around and once up to speed are checked.

Very Disappointed Equinox Owners
By johnnygl on 08/18/11 19:57 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The shifting is very eratic and very rarely smooth. The shift between 2nd and 3rd is usually very hard. The hard shifting can lift my back off the seat. It is especially noticable during the first drive of the day even after warming the engine. We also started noticing a hesitation when accelerating between 0 and 20 mph. Then we noticed an abnormal fluttering or shuddering of the engine or transmission while driving in upper gears. This vehicle's performance is worthy of a trade-in. To be quite honest, this car has caused my wife and I more anxiety and frustration than it is worth. It is in the shop for the 4th time and all the technicians can say is "we can't find any codes.

Good MPG
By dloimartin on 08/17/11 14:38 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I recently traded a 2005 Buick Lacrosse CXS for an Equinox 2LT. Buick was a great car but struggled to get 28 MPG over 60 MPH. Looking for a little better gas mileage and interior room. We travel with friends a lot and my wife has restless leg so back seat room is imperative. The Equinox excels in seating comfort. We now have about 900 miles on the Chevy and took it for a road trip over the weekend. I averaged 31.4 MPG according to the computer. I have the 4 cylinder with the Eco switch. I made sure I used this setting on the trip. If this is to be the norm for this vehicle, we will have a long happy relationship.

Very good car!
By red_rider on 07/26/11 14:24 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought an LT2 V6 Equinox. I've had this car for a few months now and am still enjoying it. Just the right amount of hp and torque to go through the yellow lights and entering the highway. Averaging about 19.6 mpg each tank, which beats my old car at 15mpg.

Gas Mileage and 4 cylinder engine performance
By 58tr3 on 07/22/11 15:55 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I traded a 350 hp hemi dodge truck on the 180 hp AWD LT2 Equinox. While there there is a big difference in engine performance between the two vehicles, the Equinox 4 banger is still quite peppy. I read that others have said the car is slow from a dead start and that is true unless you really give the throttle a good mash. More throttle produces much more response. My biggest gripe is that 3,780 lb, 180 hp engine is averaging only 21.5 mpg. The 6,000+ lb, 350 hp hemi multidisplacement engine was not far behind this with 18-19 mpg. My wife's Jeep Liberty V6 averages more than the Equinox. Although fun to drive, I am disappointed in the gas mileage.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox Suv in VA is:

$118 per month*