Used 2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

TO AVOID
By Alex

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Very disappointed with the vehicle. And GM in general it is the second GM vehicle I had to get rid off during last 3 years.First was bought in 2010 with only 65 000 miles I traded in 2014.When I got rid of Equinox it only had 93 000 miles.Even when I test drove it the acceleration was somewhat sluggish , but since I LIVE IN A NOT VERY POPULATED AREA and all the entertainment options seemed attractive I bought it used qith 88 000 and drove it only 5000 miles before trading it in.Had to change some suspension parts , windshield washer had to be fixed , heater was Ok , but A/C was pretty lousy and you could smell gas .Handling was Ok , but it had a turn radius of a military tank,custom Pioneer speakers did not sound that great.Best MPG I ever reached was around 22.At about 93000 while on a freeway all gauges started dancing I started losing power , then it felt like if someone hit the brakes.I pulled over and gave engine some rest and drove home on a small country toad vehicle felt like if someone mad was dancing on accelerator's pedal.I drive my family in this pos vehicle so I considered trading it in even though I lost $ , I gained experience and GM lost another customer for life.

Worst Purchase Ever
By Unhappy Customer

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've only ever driven Honda's and made the leap of trying a 2011 Chevy Equinox. I bought a used Chevy with 67k miles on it, and 5k miles later, the A/C goes bad. The air condenser is leaking and Chevy charges over $800 for a repair. Of all my year's driving a Honda, I've never once had an A/C break and I've driven them well over 175k miles. So much for buying an American car. It was a waste of money to buy something so un-reliable. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Rust bucket to be
By Ty F

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Test drove several Equinox-s. MOST suffered metal pitting rust through the lower door panels and wheel wells. Some rust is to be expected in this Chicagoland climate but such extensive rust on 5yr old cars is a serious concern. I didn't find a single one with no rust even if the rest of the vehicle was immaculate.

Pile of garbage.
By Tom Lamothe

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned this vehicle for about 18 months. It was purchased off of my parent who bought the vehicle new. In the first 3 years of them owning the vehicle, they had to have several things repairs: Driver's seat, fuel pump/timing chain and some other minor issues. When I bought the car off of them, it was as if a self-destruct button was pushed. Immediately we found rust on the bottom of the rear doors (at 38,000 miles). This was repaired by the dealership under warranty. Shortly after I noticed that the vehicle was losing oil quite rapidly and seemed down on power. After (no lie) 12 visits to dealerships (one of which I refused to deal with any further as they wanted me to drop the vehicle off for the entire day for an oil consumption test), to monitor the oil level, they finally agreed to rebuild the engine (45,000 miles) as well as fix a transmission leak. Upon vehicle inspection, they also "discovered" that the AC condenser was leaking and needed to be replaced and that the rear brakes were "metal on metal" and needed to be replaced. All told there was over $7,000 worth of work done. $700 to replace the condensor. I refused brake replacement, another story, but it turned out that there was more than half of the braking material left and no need whatsover to replace the pads or rotors as we were quoted.

one year later and we are back at it. At 58,000 miles, the rear differential is now leaking. The vehicle is still under the mileage for the powertrain warranty but past the time limit by 4 months. This repair was quoted at 600-700 dollars to replace an axle seal. This vehicle is now being traded in as I cannot deal with the sheer level of crap that is the 2011 Equinox.

To summarize, 2011 Equinox with a 2.4 L engine only having 58,000 miles has had the following major issues:
1. Burning over 2 quarts of oil per 1000 miles. (Engine rebuilt)
2. Fuel pump and timing chain replaced.
3. Rust repair
4. Transmission leak repair
5. AC condensor leak
6. Seat issue recall repair
7. Rear differential leaking.

The other minor issues I have had include random electrical gremlins that cause the auto headlights to come on randomly in direct sunlight, slipping serpentine belt that causes dimming of interior lights on occasion.

On the surface this is a great vehicle. The interior is spacious and comfortable, the outside is relatively unobjectionable, It has several higher end features like Satellite radio, heated seats, etc. but the build quality is abysmal. I would not recommend this vehicle to my worst enemy.

la peor compra de mi vida
By Pedro Martin

2011 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

compre un chevy equinox del 2011 y desde el comienso me ha dado problemas de todo tipo alineacion ,las gomas , LA TRANSMISION, el aire acondicionado , todo eso sin contar que en realidad no recorre las millas que dice el consecionario se queda a lo mas en 25 millas por galon no vuelvo a comprar un auto a GMC es lo peor que pude haber comprado . muchos problemas que solucionar y pocas respuestas del consecionario mi calificacion es cero no recomiendo este auto a nadie y menos a familias con niƱos