Used 2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Worst Car I've Ever Owned. No GM Support
By bradjohnson08

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

February 2011 – 7,099 miles - Complaint of jerkiness while shifting. Weird shifting. Action taken – Seat belt recall, nothing done concerning our complaint except charge us for an oil change. November 2011 – 17,683 miles - Further shifting issues and chugs while driving. Loud ratting and grinding from under hood by engine. Knocking in back. Slow to take off from a stop. Has stalled 2 times driving. Action taken – Reprogrammed engine control module. Said they couldn’t duplicate the rest. April 2012 – 22,365 miles - Stalled more times. Knocking in engine and rattling. Still shifts incorrectly. Sputters and stalls while driving. Transmission leak.

Installed new insulator on fuel pump. November 2012 – 31,530 miles - Vehicle shakes hard while driving and shifting. Service Engine light has started to come on. Has stalled more and still shifts hard. Transmission leak. Action taken – Replaced High Pressure Fuel Pump. June 2013 – 39,705 miles Grinding when starting up. Bounces and loud while reversing. Lacks power accelerating and hard shifting. Idles rough when starting and at stop lights or idling. Transmission leak. Action taken – Cam Shaft timing replacement. Reprogrammed ECM. Charged us for another unnecessary oil change. May 2014 – 53,160 miles – Jumps and lurches while shifting between gears still. Still rattling

and loud noises while driving and starting car. Stalls intermittently and RPM’s go very low without reason. Knocking still happening under the hood. Action taken – Replaced Front Wheel Drive Shaft Seal. Replaced water pump. Repaired Balance Shaft Chain. On the phone was told they were replacing the cam shaft actuators again but I don’t see it on my detailed repair sheet?

Yet another Problem
By chevystinks

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The Equinox I bought brand new in 9/10 has now had 4 major repairs needed. While all covered underwarranty still not what I expected or paid for! Owned 4 GM vehicles before this but will never buy GM again! THeir response...3 free oil changes. Oil changes doesn't fix the inconvienence, danger to my son with car dying while i was driving, or my lack of confidence in a car I paid 20K for. Unaccactablw when you can find these are common issue with this year make and model.

Disappointed
By bigdaddy1959

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Like most people researching this car, I was shocked to see how many bad things were being said. I trusted Chevy and was happy to go with an American made vehicle. I bought my 2011 Equinox in 2010 and had no idea the torubles to come. Within two years, I had trouble with the censor, needed a new timing belt, high-tech water pump, spark plugs, engine needed to be cleaned, and trouble with traction. I could not believe the issues i encountered. It was a waist of time and money. In the end, I decided to go with a different car and lost out on $5,000.00. I wrote a letter to Chevy, hoping my voice would be heard. Lets see if Chevy is able to instill trust once more. Very disappointed.

Air cond vents & actual gas mileage
By rheda

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

1) The placement of air conditioner vents on the dash is bad. If you are the driver, both of your vents are positioned where the air only hits your hands & the back of the steering wheel. I did not notice this when I bought the vehicle or I would not have purchased it. If they would have left out the little storage compartment & put the vents closer to the middle of the dash, you could feel the a/c but as it is, your face gets hot and your hands freeze. 2) Most importantly, this car DOES NOT get close to 32 MPH. I've driven it for nearly 2 years now and even on long trips, the best mileage I've ever gotten was 23.5. They need to be more realistic in advertising.

The seats are very comfortable and the room is amazing. There is so much leg room in the back seat as well as in the cargo space.

Move air conditioner vents to middle of the dash and do something about the poor gas mileage.

Wont be buying another Chevy product
By powerman6

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This vehicle seemed to be a promising vehicle with plenty of room and a good engine. That is until the first of many problems with the transmission. First the an engine maintenance light comes on and you can not drive over 30 mph. Luckly my wife was close to the dealership to take it in. 3 days later we get the car back, and 30 days later the same problem happens again. The dealership tells us its an unusual problem that has apparently happened to only 1 other owner in the United States. The problem is a switch in the transmission. Driving it in snow or ice conditions are a safety hazzard. Its anti slip transmission cuts your power down so much Dumped this vehicle before it broke down again

Room

I would improve the drive train system. Definite safety issues with the transmission losing power during acceleration. Also the anti slip transmission feature needs total redesign. When there is slick conditions and that feature kicks in I can walk faster than the vehicle can move.