Used 2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

2011 Chevrolet Equinox

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

It'snot the same as a Honda CR-V!
By Jim Paule

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

i have never achieved the 29 mpg highway that I should get with the AWD version. About 27 mpg is tops with about 19 mpg in town. I have been subjected to 3 recalls from the factory, the first involving a timing chain replacement at 31,000 miles. The car drives and rides very good, even on long trips and gets through bad weather in our hard NW Ohio winters. There is a momentary engine rattle when starting on cold mornings, but the dealership states that this is OK and would be covered under the factory extended 120,000 powertrain warranty as a result of a recall. All said and done, I would buy a Honda CR-V or Toyota Rav 4 the next time as I will be vary leery of this car after the 120,000 mile warranty expires.

This SUV is full of trouble, potentially deadly
By Wasim Quddus

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We got brand new chevy euinox in 2011. I had to take it to dealer twice with engine trouble. My wife drives it -very mildly. It has very low millage. She had it stall in the middle of the road two times. It would just loose power suddenly. She would start it and it would run a little before stalling again. Finally it would not even start. The enigne light would come on. This happened twice. Thankfully she was not in highway when this happened. She also had kids with her. Imagine if this happened in high way at high speed. By God's grace, she and the kids have been spared from horrific accident due to this failure.
The car dealership was another unfriendly experience. I took it to the same dealer who I bought the car from. They are so nonchalant about the whole event, as if it is the most expected thing on earth to happen. They were very late diagnosing the problem, leaving us without a car when my wife needed the car for going to work (dont know if that is a bad thing or not, given the nature of its serious trouble).
All in all, it has been a very bad experience. I will not look forward to buying another chevy any time soon.

Worst Car I've Ever Owned. No GM Support
By bradjohnson08

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

UPDATE 5/18/2016 - This car was the biggest mistake I've ever made in terms of a large purchase. After 2 years of constant circles with GM and them continuing to own up to their short comings they finally made me an offer to turn in or replace. They offered $6,500!!!!!! and they said this was "generous" since it was used and had lots of issues. Keep in mind - these are issues they denied until this point and refused to assist. I hit my breaking point and decided to go to another local dealer of a brand I swore I would NEVER drive because I'm a "GM person from a GM family" but after I walked in the doors and they offered me OVER DOUBLE to turn it in and buy a car from them that has higher ratings and WAYYYY less expensive - not to mention for american made than GM and their false claims. I normally wouldn't even turn in a car because they offer so little but I didn't wish to look an individual in the face and sell them this hunk of crap. I knew this dealer would go through and replace the things that GM refused to do over the years. In closing - I will NEVER own another GM car and my whole family that is brand loyal and over 10 family members who retired from GM have said they will never own GM, as well. Another case of GM not understanding it's customer base and selling an inferior product for a premium then not backing their garbage models and wiggling out of everything to not help. I am now paying off a new car instead of riding out my Equinox until the wheels fell off because, sadly, the wheels will fall off an equinox before it hits 50,000 miles.

PLEASE - IF YOU'RE READING THIS - SAVE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY AND DON'T BUY AN EQUINOX. ON SECOND THOUGHT, DON'T BUY GM AT ALL BECAUSE THEY WON'T HELP YOU WITH THEIR PRODUCT EVEN IF IT'S CLEARLY A LEMON OR PROBLEM-RIDDEN IN WARRANTY PERIOD.

February 2011 – 7,099 miles - Complaint of jerkiness while shifting. Weird shifting.
Action taken – Seat belt recall, nothing done concerning our complaint except charge us for an oil change.

November 2011 – 17,683 miles - Further shifting issues and chugs while driving. Loud ratting and grinding from under hood by engine. Knocking in back. Slow to take off from a stop. Has stalled 2 times driving.
Action taken – Reprogrammed engine control module. Said they couldn’t duplicate the rest.

April 2012 – 22,365 miles - Stalled more times. Knocking in engine and rattling. Still shifts incorrectly. Sputters and stalls while driving. Transmission leak.

Yet another Problem
By chevystinks

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The Equinox I bought brand new in 9/10 has now had 4 major repairs needed. While all covered underwarranty still not what I expected or paid for! Owned 4 GM vehicles before this but will never buy GM again! THeir response...3 free oil changes. Oil changes doesn't fix the inconvienence, danger to my son with car dying while i was driving, or my lack of confidence in a car I paid 20K for. Unaccactablw when you can find these are common issue with this year make and model.

Disappointed
By bigdaddy1959

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Like most people researching this car, I was shocked to see how many bad things were being said. I trusted Chevy and was happy to go with an American made vehicle. I bought my 2011 Equinox in 2010 and had no idea the torubles to come. Within two years, I had trouble with the censor, needed a new timing belt, high-tech water pump, spark plugs, engine needed to be cleaned, and trouble with traction. I could not believe the issues i encountered. It was a waist of time and money. In the end, I decided to go with a different car and lost out on $5,000.00. I wrote a letter to Chevy, hoping my voice would be heard. Lets see if Chevy is able to instill trust once more. Very disappointed.