Used 2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Wouldn't recommend it...
By thedetailguy

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Our 2.4 liter 4 cyl. equinox has just over 22,000 miles on it and already has been in twice for service. Timing chain was sloppy and destroyed 8 engine valves. Also had a re-flash of the PCM about 9 months prior due to poor performance. MPG is 23mpg at best driving it granny style. Spacious interior is offset by uncomfortable/stiffer seats. Burns about a quart of oil every 1,000 miles and GM says its normal. Have a 1994 Ford Bronco 5.8 liter that is almost 20 years old with a slow oil leak that only loses about 1/2 quart every 3,000 miles. Scary when half the engine is replaced at only 22,000 miles. Never again will I buy Chevy as I've heard multiple timing chain complaints

Favorite Features

Spacious interior. Redesign looks sharp/fancier than prior model years.

Suggested Improvements

Improve seating comfort, improve engine reliability, cars should not need new engines at 20,000 miles, have the ability to change the oil change intervals, I feel sorry for the people that actually go buy it and think they are alright. I thought I was getting a deal until I realized I need to spend an extra $15.00 in 2 extra quarts of oil through each change interval. Drive about 10,000 miles per year this adds up to an extra $50.00 ea. year owned in oil. Oil/Air filters hard to find at local retailers and air filters VERY pricey. Do some research as if it looks too good to be true it probably is.

Frustrated with GM
By catosmama

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2010 equinox brand new two years ago November. At exactly the two year anniversary, the windshield wiper blades gave way - and they are expensive to replace. One month later, the check engine light came in. Took it in for repair. Then, it started shuddering for 30 seconds after you have shut it off and removed the key every single time you drive it. Then the stabilitrak light came on and off for no reason. One month after it was at the dealer, the check engine light is back on! Now I have to take it back to the dealer. It still looks great. It still is fun to drive. But I am not convinced that it is a quality, reliable vehicle. After owning four GMs, I am thinking of Ford next.

Favorite Features

I have the sunroof, which is nice. It is a sharp looking car. The seats are fairly comfortable. It gets decent gas mileage (really good for its size) but not what they say it gets. The paint job is holding up much better than my old Vibe; after two years, it is still shiny. The rear seat slides up and back, giving you the ability for more leg room or more storage room. It is a fairly speedy vehicle for its engine size. Again, it is a really sharp looking car.

Suggested Improvements

There are some odd things to this car. Certainly, after only two years and multiple trips to the dealer, I'm concerned about what will happen when the warranty is out. The heating vents on the dash - driver side - are blocked by the steering wheel and your hand placement. The back seat doesn't fold flat, so it's not as utilitarian as I would expect from an SUV. If one window or only the sunroof is open, you get a weird throbbing noise that makes it feel like your head is going to explode.

I should have bought a Subaru !
By icemate1

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

New car with nothing but problems. First couple of months the windows would go down y themselves and the car would fill with snow to the steering wheel. After that, had to have the ca.r jumped every week or two and the dealer found out after a year that the radio was comming on by itself and staying on until the battery was dead. Problem with key unlocking the car. $80 key for new car, what a rip off. Wiper expensive and they wear out quickly. Junk ! Started out with 31.2 MPG when new but now only 25 MPG. ?? Engine light now on and computer says bearing sensor and timing problem. What's next ? Highly recommend you buy anything but GM car

Favorite Features

Not bad looking but terrible design that allows dirt inside all the doors Wiper in the rear window scratches window if tiny rubber strip comes off (and does often) and the wipers are expensive.

Suggested Improvements

Start ove and build the car in the USA.

Improve a few things and this will be a great vehicle
By support_usa

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought mine new. I feel ALL vehicles are over-priced. I do like this SUV. Great styling, it starts right up, drives very nice and after 2+ years now and 36K miles no service trips required. I was in an accident. An Isuzu Trooper pulled out into traffic from a gas station and hit me at the rear door & panel area. Airbags deployed. My vehicle did well in the collision, much better than the Trooper. The driver of the Trooper was hurt (legs). Trooper had to be towed. I would recommend this vehicle over comparable vehicles (Toyota and Honda), but see my suggested improvements. If they fix those I would strongly recommend. Transmission shifting sometimes gets confused.

Favorite Features

I like the sliding rear seat, Onstar features, satelite radio, interior roomyness, materials used for the interior, the reminder chime if I leave the turn signal on while driving, bluetooth, rear back-up camera, tire pressure monitoring and the programmable features. The car feels solid, but I would like the brakes to be a little more aggressive. The ride is pretty quiet and the AWD is nice too. I have the luggage rack but it did not come with the cross-members (for the price of the vehicle, they should be included). Power from the 4 cylinder is good. A friend who owns a Honda thought my Equinox had a 6 cylinder for sure. It's a popular car that looks good and you can be proud of

Suggested Improvements

Things i would like to see improve are: 1) Compressor noise when standing outside of the vehicle. 2) Design the rear fold-down seats to fold flat (what does utility mean in SUV). 3) Don't use chrome on the dash (can blind you in the sunlight). 4) Make it so that if the car is unlocked that the door has to open within 30 seconds or it auto re-locks (I hate my remote because something in my pocket pushes the button and I later find out my car has been unlocked all night long - very angering - rediculous- easy fix for GM). 5) Gas mileage is good, but not what they say. The computer calculater is a joke if you compare it to reality. NEVER see range of 600 miles on it.

Don't do it - Don't buy this vehicle -
By massrambler

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My transmission broke with 35600 miles. The cluch seemed to slip between the engine and the transmission causing the rpms to go to over 7,000. The car has been in the shop for 15 days and the mechanics do not have a clue as to what to do. I should have realized how terrible a purchse this was when I felt how underpowered that car is. After all you have a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder enging trying to haul around a 5,000 pound lump of metal. I got 300,000 miles with my old Jeep Cherokee and I have only gotten 35,600 miles on this thing before it broke down. This was a very unwise financial decision to get this Equinox.

Favorite Features

Front seats are comfortable. The car is good looking

Suggested Improvements

Poor side and rear visinility has probably already caused serious accidents. The ventilation fan is very noisy. The tire pressure systems warning is continually on and the guys at the GM dealership are lost as to how to fix this (the pressure on all tires are okay)