Used 2010 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Equinox 2010 flawed design
By jaymonsy

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased 2010 equinox with 28,000 miles. Been in the shop 5 times already. Display panel and entire dashboard blew out, muffler is rusting because of designed drain hole on the side, very poor acceleration, no cabin air filter, fumes enter car even when recirculated air is on, no rear vents, no insulation on sun roof slider, car is always hot inside, chrome on dash creates glare directed right at the driver, making for unsafe driving condition. Gas milage is not what is advertised.

Start all over, this car is awful

2010 Equinox engine
By jlor6012

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My 2010 Equinox has been so much trouble. I drive for a living and need a reliable vehicle. My oil began disappearing at around 38,000 miles. I took it to the dealership and was told that it is my job to check the oil at every fill up. They put dye in and had me bring it back. They had my vehicle for 16days and changed valves then gave it back to me saying it was repaired. I drove it the next day and while sitting in traffic the car started shaking and the engine sounded like it wanted to stall. When i called the dealership to tell them i was told a bulletin came out for the engine stating that the engine should be changed.

The Equinox is a good looking vehicle and is comfortable to drive.

Be up front and honest. I was told my engine trouble was not common only to find out it is a very common problem and they knew it all along. If you are going to inconvenience people with you coverups the least you can do is compensate them for the trouble. 2 yrs of free oil changes hardly fits the bill.

Felt cheap/unreliable, true gas mileage no where near advertised
By srt52780

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After owning a '10 LTZ for 8 months we decided to trade it in. The car is very attractive and had tons of nice features but the quality is not there. The engine is SO LOUD and extremely underpowered. The gas mileage is no where near what is advertised, average around 21 city and only got 25 once on a 600 mile trip all highway. The engine is just too small for a SUV this size. We had to bring it in twice, once for a grinding sound at startup and once for unreliable startup followed by gas odor in the cabin, neither was able to be fixed. Having these issues at 30K miles is scary and did not give me confidence in this vehicle for the long term.

LTZ Package...premium Pioneer sound, sunroof, power liftgate, rear sliding bench seat, leather, seat memory

Gas mileage, underpowered 4 cylinder, extremely loud engine noise, ignition issues

blinding reflections
By suvgirll

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I don't know if I'm just sensitive to light, but when the sunlight hits the interior silvery trim on everthing I can't see. I literally have to hold my right hand up to cover parts of the car to keep the reflection from blinding me. While I'm driving it is becoming quite annoying. I've had the car for 3 months now and don't know what to do about it. Any suggestions out there?

Not impressed
By rdavis090607

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2010 Equinox in October of 2009, and I loved it at first. Around 20,000 miles the vehicle started to sound like it had a diesel motor. It was so loud that everywhere I went people would ask me what was wrong with my vehicle. I had it in several times for servicing, and they just blamed it on something to do with fuel efficiency. Well I am sitting now on one month without my vehicle, and they don't know how much longer it will be. The problem is the timing chain came off and knocked a hole in the cover. The timing chain is on emergency back order, so that tells me that this is a major issue with the Equinox. Mine is a 4 cylinder, so I don't know about the V6. Be aware!

Interior Design, Gas Mileage