2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
2010 Equinox engine
By jlor6012 on 06/18/12 09:04 AM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My 2010 Equinox has been so much trouble. I drive for a living and need a reliable vehicle. My oil began disappearing at around 38,000 miles. I took it to the dealership and was told that it is my job to check the oil at every fill up. They put dye in and had me bring it back. They had my vehicle for 16days and changed valves then gave it back to me saying it was repaired. I drove it the next day and while sitting in traffic the car started shaking and the engine sounded like it wanted to stall. When i called the dealership to tell them i was told a bulletin came out for the engine stating that the engine should be changed.

Felt cheap/unreliable, true gas mileage no where near advertised
By srt52780 on 05/23/12 11:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After owning a '10 LTZ for 8 months we decided to trade it in. The car is very attractive and had tons of nice features but the quality is not there. The engine is SO LOUD and extremely underpowered. The gas mileage is no where near what is advertised, average around 21 city and only got 25 once on a 600 mile trip all highway. The engine is just too small for a SUV this size. We had to bring it in twice, once for a grinding sound at startup and once for unreliable startup followed by gas odor in the cabin, neither was able to be fixed. Having these issues at 30K miles is scary and did not give me confidence in this vehicle for the long term.

blinding reflections
By suvgirll on 05/11/12 13:26 PM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I don't know if I'm just sensitive to light, but when the sunlight hits the interior silvery trim on everthing I can't see. I literally have to hold my right hand up to cover parts of the car to keep the reflection from blinding me. While I'm driving it is becoming quite annoying. I've had the car for 3 months now and don't know what to do about it. Any suggestions out there?

Not impressed
By rdavis090607 on 04/26/12 16:01 PM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2010 Equinox in October of 2009, and I loved it at first. Around 20,000 miles the vehicle started to sound like it had a diesel motor. It was so loud that everywhere I went people would ask me what was wrong with my vehicle. I had it in several times for servicing, and they just blamed it on something to do with fuel efficiency. Well I am sitting now on one month without my vehicle, and they don't know how much longer it will be. The problem is the timing chain came off and knocked a hole in the cover. The timing chain is on emergency back order, so that tells me that this is a major issue with the Equinox. Mine is a 4 cylinder, so I don't know about the V6. Be aware!

Wouldn't recommend it...
By thedetailguy on 04/05/12 20:05 PM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Our 2.4 liter 4 cyl. equinox has just over 22,000 miles on it and already has been in twice for service. Timing chain was sloppy and destroyed 8 engine valves. Also had a re-flash of the PCM about 9 months prior due to poor performance. MPG is 23mpg at best driving it granny style. Spacious interior is offset by uncomfortable/stiffer seats. Burns about a quart of oil every 1,000 miles and GM says its normal. Have a 1994 Ford Bronco 5.8 liter that is almost 20 years old with a slow oil leak that only loses about 1/2 quart every 3,000 miles. Scary when half the engine is replaced at only 22,000 miles. Never again will I buy Chevy as I've heard multiple timing chain complaints

Frustrated with GM
By catosmama on 01/18/12 06:59 AM (PST)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2010 equinox brand new two years ago November. At exactly the two year anniversary, the windshield wiper blades gave way - and they are expensive to replace. One month later, the check engine light came in. Took it in for repair. Then, it started shuddering for 30 seconds after you have shut it off and removed the key every single time you drive it. Then the stabilitrak light came on and off for no reason. One month after it was at the dealer, the check engine light is back on! Now I have to take it back to the dealer. It still looks great. It still is fun to drive. But I am not convinced that it is a quality, reliable vehicle. After owning four GMs, I am thinking of Ford next.

I should have bought a Subaru !
By icemate1 on 11/30/11 17:49 PM (PST)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

New car with nothing but problems. First couple of months the windows would go down y themselves and the car would fill with snow to the steering wheel. After that, had to have the ca.r jumped every week or two and the dealer found out after a year that the radio was comming on by itself and staying on until the battery was dead. Problem with key unlocking the car. $80 key for new car, what a rip off. Wiper expensive and they wear out quickly. Junk ! Started out with 31.2 MPG when new but now only 25 MPG. ?? Engine light now on and computer says bearing sensor and timing problem. What's next ? Highly recommend you buy anything but GM car

Improve a few things and this will be a great vehicle
By support_usa on 11/10/11 20:04 PM (PST)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought mine new. I feel ALL vehicles are over-priced. I do like this SUV. Great styling, it starts right up, drives very nice and after 2+ years now and 36K miles no service trips required. I was in an accident. An Isuzu Trooper pulled out into traffic from a gas station and hit me at the rear door & panel area. Airbags deployed. My vehicle did well in the collision, much better than the Trooper. The driver of the Trooper was hurt (legs). Trooper had to be towed. I would recommend this vehicle over comparable vehicles (Toyota and Honda), but see my suggested improvements. If they fix those I would strongly recommend. Transmission shifting sometimes gets confused.

Don't do it - Don't buy this vehicle -
By massrambler on 10/22/11 02:28 AM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My transmission broke with 35600 miles. The cluch seemed to slip between the engine and the transmission causing the rpms to go to over 7,000. The car has been in the shop for 15 days and the mechanics do not have a clue as to what to do. I should have realized how terrible a purchse this was when I felt how underpowered that car is. After all you have a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder enging trying to haul around a 5,000 pound lump of metal. I got 300,000 miles with my old Jeep Cherokee and I have only gotten 35,600 miles on this thing before it broke down. This was a very unwise financial decision to get this Equinox.

best car I've ever owned awesome gas mileage
By drinder on 10/20/11 09:15 AM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I been driving this car for two years now and I cannot find one thing I dislike about it. It exterior in red is awesome, modern and has a sense of power to it. The interior is spacious, utilitarian and upscale. The four cylinder engine is barely noticeable. The mobility is great as well. The gas mileage is everything advertised, I drove from California to texas and from texas to georgia this year, both trips over 1200 miles and averaged 29-30 mpg. the gas mileage actually was higher except for texas highways speed limit of 80mph. also to note that the first leg of the i had a payload of 600lbs + 2 people and the second trip I had a payload of 800lbs and 2 people.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox Suv in VA is:

$127 per month*