2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
Eeks and knocks (it's real name)
By thedetailguy on 07/11/13 21:34 PM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Burned oil from day one. Never saw more than 22.5mpg out of this, Eco mode or not. Timing chain replaced at 20,000 miles along with 8 total (half of the valves). Driver seat lumbar broke not once but twice. Made a weird pop noise when warming up from exhaust area, alternator seemed too weak for the car, high pressure fuel pump, pistons and rings replaced at 38,200 miles, car sold back to dealer after this replacement at 10 miles later. Couldn't be happier to be out of that hell hole. Two engine tear downs at less than 4 years of age and 40,000 miles s. wow! No more Chevy for us!

Happy except for reliability
By cycledan on 06/04/13 11:57 AM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Have 40,000 miles on the Equinox now. I have no complaints about the gas mileage and don't really care. Blue tooth, radio controls seats are all fine. It is an SUV, not a sports car but given that, I am happy with the ride. However (you knew that was coming) it is now at the dealer for the 3rd time to fix a major transmission problem. It is still under the drive train warranty luckily and we get a free rental. Service department is nice enough. But it is awful to have the car break down in the middle of rush hour traffic in the left lane of the highway. Don't know how common transmission problems are in this car but we got a lemon. I am going to insist they replace the whole transmission.

Not impressed
By rdavis090607 on 04/26/12 16:01 PM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2010 Equinox in October of 2009, and I loved it at first. Around 20,000 miles the vehicle started to sound like it had a diesel motor. It was so loud that everywhere I went people would ask me what was wrong with my vehicle. I had it in several times for servicing, and they just blamed it on something to do with fuel efficiency. Well I am sitting now on one month without my vehicle, and they don't know how much longer it will be. The problem is the timing chain came off and knocked a hole in the cover. The timing chain is on emergency back order, so that tells me that this is a major issue with the Equinox. Mine is a 4 cylinder, so I don't know about the V6. Be aware!

Wouldn't recommend it...
By thedetailguy on 04/05/12 20:05 PM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Our 2.4 liter 4 cyl. equinox has just over 22,000 miles on it and already has been in twice for service. Timing chain was sloppy and destroyed 8 engine valves. Also had a re-flash of the PCM about 9 months prior due to poor performance. MPG is 23mpg at best driving it granny style. Spacious interior is offset by uncomfortable/stiffer seats. Burns about a quart of oil every 1,000 miles and GM says its normal. Have a 1994 Ford Bronco 5.8 liter that is almost 20 years old with a slow oil leak that only loses about 1/2 quart every 3,000 miles. Scary when half the engine is replaced at only 22,000 miles. Never again will I buy Chevy as I've heard multiple timing chain complaints

Like it a lot but not good gas mileage
By aloginov on 08/30/11 11:21 AM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a Traverse for my wife and decided to keep the Equinox 4 cyl for myself. I believe Chevrolet has come a long way but was very disappointed with the gas mileage. Even if I stay behind a truck blocking the head wind for me, I don’t get over 25 MPG highway. ECO button off or on doesn’t make a difference. I think Chevy should pay us money back for false advertisement regarding the gas mileage. I love the Bluetooth, radio controls (be able to control the IPod from the wheel) The only issue I have noticed so far is the car changes from radio to IPod on its own. Besides the poor gas mileage, I love this car. Road noise is very noticeable. Big difference between Equinox and Traverse

22/32 MPG NO WAY !!!
By driveon9 on 04/22/11 08:15 AM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Traded a 2006 HHR for a 2011 Equinox . Drove it home 25 miles and the gas gauge was already @ 1/4 ???? Did some research and found out this thing gets no where near 22/32 mpg. Told dealer no thanks and went back to a 2011 HHR that does get 22/30 mpg.

Love It
By stacies on 04/21/11 12:12 PM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The 4-cylinder does not have a lot of power, but I don't "gun it" when taking off from a stop. My average gas mileage to and from work is about 27 mpg. I love the design and the ride of this vehicle. Some may get poor gas mileage because they are trying to push the 4 cylinder too much. Just go easy on the accelerator and your mpg will increase.

Great Crossover
By bradley2 on 01/10/11 17:52 PM (PST)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased December 2009, now 22k miles, mostly HWY. Average 27 MPG, at 75+ MPH. No glitches, rattles, problems or issues. Looks great, is comfortable and a big improvement over the 2005 NOX we had (which we also liked and served us well). It looks, drives and feels like a $35k car.

Very Good Car
By Steve on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We have had the car just over a year and have 16,000 on it now. Highway driving has resulted in 19 mpg (very high Kansas winds) at 78 mph, to 34 mpg with a tail wind at 65 mph. My wife loves this car, and I wish it were bigger. But, it is such an improvement over the 07 piece of crap equinox that we owned briefly.

Best Crossover
By kevin on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have spent the past few months looking for a crossover. I have drove almost every make and model of vehicle I could think of. When I first saw the 2010 Equinox I was excited about the new look of this vehicle. The test drive was perfect. My new car handles better than any other I have driven. There is lots of room in both the front and back of the vehicle. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking for a(n) SUV or crossover it will not let you down

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox Suv in VA is:

$107 per month*