2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

2010 Equinox Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Sort Reviews by

Eeks and knocks (it's real name)
By thedetailguy

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Burned oil from day one. Never saw more than 22.5mpg out of this, Eco mode or not. Timing chain replaced at 20,000 miles along with 8 total (half of the valves). Driver seat lumbar broke not once but twice. Made a weird pop noise when warming up from exhaust area, alternator seemed too weak for the car, high pressure fuel pump, pistons and rings replaced at 38,200 miles, car sold back to dealer after this replacement at 10 miles later. Couldn't be happier to be out of that hell hole. Two engine tear downs at less than 4 years of age and 40,000 miles s. wow! No more Chevy for us!

Favorite Features

Looked nice

Suggested Improvements

Stop making cars, request no more bail outs, allow yourself to fail GM. Please don't put anyone else through this!

Happy except for reliability
By cycledan

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Have 40,000 miles on the Equinox now. I have no complaints about the gas mileage and don't really care. Blue tooth, radio controls seats are all fine. It is an SUV, not a sports car but given that, I am happy with the ride. However (you knew that was coming) it is now at the dealer for the 3rd time to fix a major transmission problem. It is still under the drive train warranty luckily and we get a free rental. Service department is nice enough. But it is awful to have the car break down in the middle of rush hour traffic in the left lane of the highway. Don't know how common transmission problems are in this car but we got a lemon. I am going to insist they replace the whole transmission.

Favorite Features

Everything except the transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Install more reliable transmission.

Not impressed
By rdavis090607

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2010 Equinox in October of 2009, and I loved it at first. Around 20,000 miles the vehicle started to sound like it had a diesel motor. It was so loud that everywhere I went people would ask me what was wrong with my vehicle. I had it in several times for servicing, and they just blamed it on something to do with fuel efficiency. Well I am sitting now on one month without my vehicle, and they don't know how much longer it will be. The problem is the timing chain came off and knocked a hole in the cover. The timing chain is on emergency back order, so that tells me that this is a major issue with the Equinox. Mine is a 4 cylinder, so I don't know about the V6. Be aware!

Favorite Features

Interior Design, Gas Mileage

Suggested Improvements

Fix the Timing Chains, Better Seat Material on the Cloth Seats

Wouldn't recommend it...
By thedetailguy

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Our 2.4 liter 4 cyl. equinox has just over 22,000 miles on it and already has been in twice for service. Timing chain was sloppy and destroyed 8 engine valves. Also had a re-flash of the PCM about 9 months prior due to poor performance. MPG is 23mpg at best driving it granny style. Spacious interior is offset by uncomfortable/stiffer seats. Burns about a quart of oil every 1,000 miles and GM says its normal. Have a 1994 Ford Bronco 5.8 liter that is almost 20 years old with a slow oil leak that only loses about 1/2 quart every 3,000 miles. Scary when half the engine is replaced at only 22,000 miles. Never again will I buy Chevy as I've heard multiple timing chain complaints

Favorite Features

Spacious interior. Redesign looks sharp/fancier than prior model years.

Suggested Improvements

Improve seating comfort, improve engine reliability, cars should not need new engines at 20,000 miles, have the ability to change the oil change intervals, I feel sorry for the people that actually go buy it and think they are alright. I thought I was getting a deal until I realized I need to spend an extra $15.00 in 2 extra quarts of oil through each change interval. Drive about 10,000 miles per year this adds up to an extra $50.00 ea. year owned in oil. Oil/Air filters hard to find at local retailers and air filters VERY pricey. Do some research as if it looks too good to be true it probably is.

Like it a lot but not good gas mileage
By aloginov

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a Traverse for my wife and decided to keep the Equinox 4 cyl for myself. I believe Chevrolet has come a long way but was very disappointed with the gas mileage. Even if I stay behind a truck blocking the head wind for me, I donít get over 25 MPG highway. ECO button off or on doesnít make a difference. I think Chevy should pay us money back for false advertisement regarding the gas mileage. I love the Bluetooth, radio controls (be able to control the IPod from the wheel) The only issue I have noticed so far is the car changes from radio to IPod on its own. Besides the poor gas mileage, I love this car. Road noise is very noticeable. Big difference between Equinox and Traverse

Favorite Features

Radio Control, car information center, looks, ride, everything. The only thing I don't like is the black interior as everything shows.

Suggested Improvements

Replace shinning knob on the little compartment on the dashboard as sunlight reflects right on your face. Include garage door opener

22/32 MPG NO WAY !!!
By driveon9

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Traded a 2006 HHR for a 2011 Equinox . Drove it home 25 miles and the gas gauge was already @ 1/4 ???? Did some research and found out this thing gets no where near 22/32 mpg. Told dealer no thanks and went back to a 2011 HHR that does get 22/30 mpg.

Love It
By stacies

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The 4-cylinder does not have a lot of power, but I don't "gun it" when taking off from a stop. My average gas mileage to and from work is about 27 mpg. I love the design and the ride of this vehicle. Some may get poor gas mileage because they are trying to push the 4 cylinder too much. Just go easy on the accelerator and your mpg will increase.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth connect with my phone & being able to keep both hands on the wheel. The stereo has an awesome sound. Air conditioner is ice cold.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a less bumpy ride, but it is a smaller SUV, so it is not expected to ride like a Tahoe or Suburban.

Great Crossover
By bradley2

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased December 2009, now 22k miles, mostly HWY. Average 27 MPG, at 75+ MPH. No glitches, rattles, problems or issues. Looks great, is comfortable and a big improvement over the 2005 NOX we had (which we also liked and served us well). It looks, drives and feels like a $35k car.

Favorite Features

Options, cabin design, comfort, fit and finish. Quiet! Exterior design, roomy and flexible for people or cargo.

Suggested Improvements

None I can think of.

Very Good Car
By Steve

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We have had the car just over a year and have 16,000 on it now. Highway driving has resulted in 19 mpg (very high Kansas winds) at 78 mph, to 34 mpg with a tail wind at 65 mph. My wife loves this car, and I wish it were bigger. But, it is such an improvement over the 07 piece of crap equinox that we owned briefly.

Favorite Features

XM radio, good mileage, quality for the cost of the car, very snappy for a 4 cylinder

Suggested Improvements

Softer redesigned seats, reduce blind spots, enlarge cargo space. The chrome latch on the dash storage should be flat black. Very bad glare from this. And move that dang gas fill to the drivers side. It should be illegal to have that on the passenger side of any vehicle!

Best Crossover
By kevin

2010 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have spent the past few months looking for a crossover. I have drove almost every make and model of vehicle I could think of. When I first saw the 2010 Equinox I was excited about the new look of this vehicle. The test drive was perfect. My new car handles better than any other I have driven. There is lots of room in both the front and back of the vehicle. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking for a(n) SUV or crossover it will not let you down

Favorite Features

Ride and Drive.

Suggested Improvements

none