2008 Chevrolet Equinox LS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

2008 Equinox Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Sort Reviews by

Sporty SUV
By Christina

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Equinox for four months now and am very pleased with my purchase. I test drove practically every SUV in the class and the Equinox came out on top. I came close to buying a Rogue, but the interior was cramped and lacked features. I am partial to the exteriors of the RAV4 and the Ford Edge; however, they are also lacking in the features department (at least on the basic models). The Equinox comes with a lot of bells and whistles for the price. I love the OnStar feature and the information screens. With one push of a button, I can check my oil life, tire pressure and remaining gas mileage, etc. The fuel economy isn't bad for a vehicle its size. Overall a great purchase.

Favorite Features

Interior cloth (color, design), plentiful cup holders, OnStar and information system.

Suggested Improvements

More storage area. Doors take a lot of force to shut completely. When I get out of the car and close the doors, they don't shut tightly unless you practically slam them.

Great Plus Size SUV
By JB

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

We upgraded to the leather interior because the cloth interior was less comfortable and did not look like it would last long. There is lots of room in this SUV. We are getting 25 mpg plus right off the show room floor, that includes a 50-50 mix of city and highway driving. There is very little road noise on the inside while driving. Vehicle handles well and has more than enough power with 6 cylinder engine. The report of the cup holders is accurate, they are pretty chintzy. The lever for the steering wheel adjustment is also more difficult to operate while driving. Wish the rear hatch had an automatic open with the key chain, the gas cap door had a lock.

Favorite Features

All the room in the is plus size SUV - sure - it is not a full size SUV/Truck, but for that class, it is perfect.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders! Locking door to the gas cap.

I go a lot!
By chevy owner

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

The Chevy Equinox has been a great car for me. I am a detached insurance agent and this car has givin me plenty of room and comfort. It has a pretty great stereo system for those time that I have been in traffic jams and not had much to do. It gives me plenty of room in the cargo area for both my filing boxes and my luggage, and for the size of the car the fuel economy isn't bad at all. All around it has been a great car for the business man and his family.

Favorite Features

One of my favorites is the cloth interior. As a father of a 2 yr old things get dropped in the back seat but but with a damp rag my wife and I have managed to get out every thing he can spill on it.

Big R's car
By EZMERALDA

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Very pleased weith vehicle, alert and steady. Since using MOBIL 1, mileage is respectable at around 19 +, with a few extra PSI in the 18" tires too. The paint and overall appeareance of the car is snazzy. Could use a few grab handles and more storage pockets.

Favorite Features

Great engine trans combo!

Suggested Improvements

Grab handles and storage pockets.

My new Equinox
By dmack

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a base Equinox in 2005 and thought it was great, but needed a bit more power. I just upgraded to the sport model which has 90 more hp and other upgrades as well. I would recommend this car to anyone in the market for a small - medium sized SUV.

Favorite Features

Upgraded engine, OnStar, XM radio, styling

Love my Equinox
By mikey

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

For the money it is the best midsize crossover vehicle period. Easy entry exit. I have a bad lower back. Great view when driving. Very comfortable. A lot of room. Great engine, transmission, brakes. Prefer old style steering. Electric steering is kind of numb, vague. Not good road feel like traditional steering. Would like to see 6 speed automatic and engine with more horsepower and torque. I get a lot of compliments. Mine is ruby red.

Much better than Dodge
By boxergirl

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

The ride in the Equinox is very smooth - the suspension is great and it drives like a car. I was also surprised coming from a much larger engine that the smaller V6 still has a lot of get up and go. In addition, I'm getting 25mpg highway and 21-22 city. To me this is the best feature especially since the gas tank holds 20 gallons - which I think it kinda big for this size SUV. Anyway, its nice to be able to go over 400 miles on one tank. I just started a carpool at work, and the Equinox easily fits 4-5 adults - especially with the rear seat set back.

Favorite Features

Radio controls on the steering wheel, leather wrapped steering wheel, fuel economy, suspension, mp3/aux slot in the radio, OnStar, and the fake woodgrain

Suggested Improvements

The material of the seats stinks. It's cheap (and even worse in the LS models). Power lift gate would be nice

I love my Equinox!
By Dee

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I needed more room and traded in my Chevy Malibu 2004. I love the versitility and space. It drives great and handles even better in bad weather with traction control.

Favorite Features

Traction control, and the adjustable back seat that slides forward and back.

Suggested Improvements

I did not like the colors, so I chose white. My wish is that I could have found it in a muted metalic light blue color. Make the auto start remote available on all models, I tried to add and was refused by dealer. Design the heat and air conditioning to start at the last setting.

Unhappy console
By unhappy

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Overall I like the 2008 Chevy Equinox however I am very unhappy with the center console. The emergency brake is in the wrong spot and the 12VDC outlet is right under the pullout cupholders. Liquid and power do not mix well. I am really unhappy after reading earlier articles about the 2006 Chevy Equinox with the same complaints. Will American car companies ever get their act together?

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

New console and move e-brake

2008 Much Improved
By Christine Cavadini

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Equinox. I previously leased a 2006 AWD LT. I recently bought the 2008 because of great dealer incentives. This one has much better handling, fewer blind spots, and a excellent, comfortable ride. I like the standard OnStar, which I used to have in my leased Trailblazers (3 of them). The gas mileage is excellent (25-26mpg hwy) even though I'm still in the process of breaking it in. I get a lot of compliments on it and it looks very sharp in black. I also got the remote start and it is awesome (cheap add-on, too). I looked a lot of vehicles and am so glad I bought this one.

Favorite Features

Remote start, heated leather seats, XM radio, premium speakers, sunroof, Onstar

Suggested Improvements

Auto-dimming driver's side mirror. It should be an option.