Used 2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

OH HOW I LOVE MY EQUINOX
By irret_49_nc

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 2007 kia, until I found the equinox. I was originally looking at a Pontiac torrent which is a sister to the equinox. I ended up buying the equinox. Its actually wider than the torrent and the front ends are different. We recently drove it to fla for a Cruise and it was a wonderful ride verses the kia. Only bad thing is the stupid plastic cup holders... And no where to lay your phone or smokes but I fixed that problem easily. I bought a small office wire basket at walmart and put it on the dash, now I have space to stash a lot. The radio is great but the speakers arent as good as I had in my kia... But overall I give this suv a 10!

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the sunroof and Cruise... Heated leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Change cup holders and speakers. Better yet recall these 2 items

Love It
By dvilla57

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my Impala for the Equinox because we were going on a road trip and wanted more room. The Equinox has that. We traveled from Texas to Califoria and back without a hitch. Gas mileage is good. Lots of leg room. I like the sporty look of the Equinox even though it is not the sport model. The position of the windo controls took a little getting used to. All in all I would recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Leg room, radio controls on the steering wheel, message center

Suggested Improvements

I am not crazy about the console in the middle with the one cup holder. When you put down the arm rest you cannot access anything in the console

Even I was surprised!
By pmm texas

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I was skeptical of the reviews of the Equinox from this website. I debated between the Trailblazer and Equinox, but under pressure to trade my very undesirable Honda CRV, I took the plunge and bought the Equinox. I've had it now for 16 months and 22k miles. This car beats the CRV hands down. It is much more comfortable, has more power, has a smoother ride, roomier, much quieter, and the gas mileage is actually comparable. Glad I traded the CRV and didn't get the Trailblazer. Problems: I've had to replace two batteries and the radio (all under warranty). I don't know why the batteries are being discharged prematurely.

Favorite Features

Highway mileage around 23-24 mpg. Quiet, smooth, comfortable ride. Crash Safety ratings are excellent. Roomy backseat, which slides forward to hold more cargo when necessary. Electronic info center.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are lousy, as previously reported. I dislike the appearance of the hood, grille, and lights, could use a facelift. Disturbing blind spots from front pillars. Front console not quite design right. Tends to fill with stuff and be hidden by arm rest.

Safe and fun to drive
By EquinoxGuy

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I took my pregnant wife (8 months)to the car show and we spent 4 hours trying out nearly every SUV and minivan made. Fortunately we both loved the Equinox with its style, safety rating, and overall flexibility. My wife could no longer fit into her Ford Escort and she absolutely loves the new Equinox. Our baby boy also seems to like it, spending long car rides sleeping in the rear seat. The cup holders are ok, and the window controls take a little getting used to (location). Overall it is a good value and a sensible car to start our family in.

Favorite Features

3.6L engine, the sliding rear seat. Room enough for me, 6' 3" 220 pounds. Remote starter, heated seats. Kid protector on the rear of the passenger seat. Looks sharp, not like every other car on the road today.

Suggested Improvements

A tighter turning radius, although it is not terrible. A larger cargo area. More power or upgrades for the engine. We had a problem with the radio eating our CD's, Haven't had it looked at yet.

Great All Around
By HollyB

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I am pleasantly surprised at how much I like this car. It's very roomy and quiet on the road with a lot of features not available on the competition. I have the mid-grade LT1, front wheel drive model. It's easy to see out of fore and aft, so driving, parking and backing up is easy. The gas mileage is great; I have been averaging over 20 city/hiway and it only requires regular gas. Given I have only the mid level model; it doesn't drive sporty but is pretty agile. However, it can feel tipsy in very windy driving conditions, which makes the steering feel a too light. Upgraded models might mitigate this. Lastly, while the seats are comfy, they are a bit too soft on long drives.

Favorite Features

Although not great sounding, the stereo as well as HVAC is easy to use and quickly cools/heats car; lit steering wheel controls are nice as is the on board computer showing miles to empty, tire pressure, etc. Lots of room for luggage and back seat passengers; good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

This is nit-picky but could be a deal breaker for some...the cup holder is too low down on the floor; it's a reach for your coffee and there is ONLY 1! Also, there should be grab handles for the front and rear passengers; & hooks for hanging clothes in the back seat instead of only in the trunk.