Used 2008 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

I would buy another one
By lt9599

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I am very happy with my purchase. This vehicle drives well in the snow and rain. I love the AWD, and the wide wheel base. The chrome package makes it look cooler than the the standard LT models.

drives great in the snow

the front cupholder could be improved, and extra storage compartment would be nice in the front

My Favorite Vehicle
By LoveMyEquinox

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Sport 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a gently used 2008 Chevy Equinox Sport last year. I searched long and hard to find a bad review about it, and could only find a few complaints about the location of the window controls and the cup holders. I LOVE my truck! It gets good gas mileage (~19-26 mpg). The engine is very responsive. Traction is great. Drives like a dream. People who occasionally borrow my vehicle cannot believe it is "Chevrolet". One commented how my Sport drives more like a Mercedes. It is roomy and comfy. I even fit a full-sized futon in it last year as I helped a friend move! It was difficult to locate a used Sport, but it was worth the wait. Plan to drive it for years.

Fold-down front seat. Fold down-back seats. Cup holders galore. Huge back cargo area. Tons of personal space and leg room(especially in the back seats-- kids are not kicking my seat anymore). Smart interior. Blue dashboard backlighting. Heated leather seats. REMOTE START--awesome! Price tag.

I will buy another Equinox Sport when the time comes. I want a black one. My only problem with the truck so far is that both interior, visor mirror covers broke off with normal, gentle use. I have just left them off, knowing that replacements would be just as flawed. No other complaints.

Should be a lot better
By rjd

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This car is terrible. Always had GM vehicles. This one is terrible. It slides in the rain, no one knows why. Never happened with my Blazer or Jimmy. Dealership has been a pain. Owed me more for truck trade won't give up $1000. GM said they would still waiting. I will never buy GM again. Hello Tokyo...

None

Put the best tires on a vehicle not junk that doesn't hold the road in the rain. This car slides in turns on wet roads at least a dozen times since ownership. GM can't explain it. The dealership has been no help either. I am not racing. But even the tire ratings show it it bad in wet traction.

Equinox is a great value
By anachrophile

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the last 2008 Equinox on the lot with side airbags (standard in 2009). No trade-in, but still paid only $19500 (>$28000 list--it is optioned almost to LTZ, but no leather or the "sophisticated" 3.6L motor). We've now had it 10 months and put on 10K mixed highway-city miles. Mileage: 17 in town & 25 on the road (you can do 1- 2 mpg better if careful). Absolutely NOTHING has gone wrong with this car and I cannot find even one manufacturing defect. Take that, Toyota and Honda! It is safe, comfortable, and quiet. Seats are a bit flat, especially the very spacious rear seats. But for $19K? Good deal!

OnStar, remote start, sunroof, smooth, quiet, efficient power train (especially for a pushrod motor--GM has really smoothed this old technology, and no timing chain to replace!). Loosely, it's a US product (motor from China, assembled in Canada).

Fold-flat rear seats would have been nice. Would have given up total cargo volume to be able to sleep on a flat floor when camping. Minivans better in this regard. I miss the dent-free plastic panels of older Saturn & Olds products. The sheet metal on this vehicle dents easily.

Weatherstripping Failure
By glaasmar

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

We have had zero problems with this vehicle... until now. Wife noticed wet carpets, so I checked and ended up sucking over 8gal of water from spare well and back seat. Still soaked, and will need 3 days at dealer to remedy. As it is out of the base 36m/36k miles (42k) the dealer has us on the hook for almost $600 in repairs for the weatherstripping issue. That this is not being considered a recall for a design flaw (and a health hazard for mold, etc.) is ludicrous. We still love the vehicle, but this has (pardon the pun) put a damper on the enjoyment.

Acknowledge a design flaw. If this had gone unnoticed, it would have resulted in health problems for my grandchildren.