Used 2008 Chevrolet Equinox Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

My Biggest disapointment
By guss123abc

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I got this car for my wife, and she loved it for about 3 months. Got it new in 09 and have had nothing but issues. Understand a car that is on the road for 5 years should have some normal ware and tear. at 45K we had the privlige of buying a new transmission. Shortly after that timing chain. Sun roof drains keep pluging and when it rains comes inside car. Have had tire issues and TPMS issues and now Im sure spark plug issues. I made an appointment to see the dealer for stalling issues. I am getting to be real good friends with the service center operators. At 60 K now Im afraid to sell this to anyone. I dont want to pass on junk.

Favorite Features

Heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Change transmission type and back the customer.

My Dealer Loves to Repair it - sigh
By Kerri

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This was my first new car. I loved this car until at 41,000 miles the transmission died. 2 trips on a tow truck and 2 more trips back to the dealer because Chevy would not replace Transmission insisted on rebuilding. Fast forward 10,000 miles and E PAP solenoid is out along with tire sensor and Torque converter. JOY! Dealer has parts on backorder but assures me its SAFE to drive. Wanna bet it will have another ride on a tow truck? Stay Tuned.

Favorite Features

The Extended Warranty.

Suggested Improvements

Destroy all and start over.

Decent SUV
By chrismacwpg

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Overall I am fairly happy with the car. I put a fair number of miles on the car in a year and for the most part I have been please. A lot of maintenance though that has been covered under warranty. Strut arm bushings (twice) two wheel bearings and now it is in for a new timing chain. Parts seem to be a pain as the dealership cannot locate some for the new chain replacement which has translated into a 2 week period it is in the shop.

Favorite Features

I love the style of the SUV. Sporty and yet a clean look to it. The dual exhaust and updated front grille really make the car stand out.

Suggested Improvements

Better engine with better gas mileage. Tires that don't cost $300 each to replace! Overall not a lot to change

My Favorite Vehicle
By LoveMyEquinox

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a gently used 2008 Chevy Equinox Sport last year. I searched long and hard to find a bad review about it, and could only find a few complaints about the location of the window controls and the cup holders. I LOVE my truck! It gets good gas mileage (~19-26 mpg). The engine is very responsive. Traction is great. Drives like a dream. People who occasionally borrow my vehicle cannot believe it is "Chevrolet". One commented how my Sport drives more like a Mercedes. It is roomy and comfy. I even fit a full-sized futon in it last year as I helped a friend move! It was difficult to locate a used Sport, but it was worth the wait. Plan to drive it for years.

Favorite Features

Fold-down front seat. Fold down-back seats. Cup holders galore. Huge back cargo area. Tons of personal space and leg room(especially in the back seats-- kids are not kicking my seat anymore). Smart interior. Blue dashboard backlighting. Heated leather seats. REMOTE START--awesome! Price tag.

Suggested Improvements

I will buy another Equinox Sport when the time comes. I want a black one. My only problem with the truck so far is that both interior, visor mirror covers broke off with normal, gentle use. I have just left them off, knowing that replacements would be just as flawed. No other complaints.

Safe and fun to drive
By EquinoxGuy

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I took my pregnant wife (8 months)to the car show and we spent 4 hours trying out nearly every SUV and minivan made. Fortunately we both loved the Equinox with its style, safety rating, and overall flexibility. My wife could no longer fit into her Ford Escort and she absolutely loves the new Equinox. Our baby boy also seems to like it, spending long car rides sleeping in the rear seat. The cup holders are ok, and the window controls take a little getting used to (location). Overall it is a good value and a sensible car to start our family in.

Favorite Features

3.6L engine, the sliding rear seat. Room enough for me, 6' 3" 220 pounds. Remote starter, heated seats. Kid protector on the rear of the passenger seat. Looks sharp, not like every other car on the road today.

Suggested Improvements

A tighter turning radius, although it is not terrible. A larger cargo area. More power or upgrades for the engine. We had a problem with the radio eating our CD's, Haven't had it looked at yet.