2008 Chevrolet Equinox LT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

2008 Equinox Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Sort Reviews by

Looked Great but total PIA
By kwhit1

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

The Equinox drives good for the most part but has tons of issues. My biggest issue is the tire sensors are always going off. Had the sensor issue replaced 3 times under warranty in only a year. Warranty ran out and sensor now doesn't read pressure right. Also have a big issue with when you replace the brakes you have to replace the whole thing. It would be fine if it was rare but you have to do this every 40k miles approximately. At 70k you than get to replace the belts too. The headlights are impossible to replace on your own you have to find a dealer or a good mechanic to figure it out. Good thing my brake lights never went out because they look more difficult.. Wasn't worth the money!

Favorite Features

Roomy, Decent Gas MPG for the size (23mpg), the "purse" spot between the seats, many cup holders

Suggested Improvements

The Sensors, Brakes, placement of DC spots (make it difficult to charge phone and mp3 players)

Paint bubbling not covered by warranty
By mollyj

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Really love the 2008 Equinox but on a trip this winter, the computer burned up and at that time we noticed three bubbles on the hood. When we returned home we pointed out the bubbles to our dealer and he said it was not covered under warranty. If warranty states bumper to bumper, doesn't that include paint.

Leaky
By madmae200

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

The car drives great and is pretty reliable. It rains in puddles on the back floor board and back where tire is stored. Nothing else in the car gets wet. I vacuumed a 1/2 gallon of water. The dealership has no idea where the water is coming from. Seats, headliners and inside interior are all dry.

Favorite Features

Comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Find the darn leak. I'll have a molded vehicle pretty soon. Yuck!!

Love It
By dvilla57

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my Impala for the Equinox because we were going on a road trip and wanted more room. The Equinox has that. We traveled from Texas to Califoria and back without a hitch. Gas mileage is good. Lots of leg room. I like the sporty look of the Equinox even though it is not the sport model. The position of the windo controls took a little getting used to. All in all I would recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Leg room, radio controls on the steering wheel, message center

Suggested Improvements

I am not crazy about the console in the middle with the one cup holder. When you put down the arm rest you cannot access anything in the console

Great All Around
By HollyB

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I am pleasantly surprised at how much I like this car. It's very roomy and quiet on the road with a lot of features not available on the competition. I have the mid-grade LT1, front wheel drive model. It's easy to see out of fore and aft, so driving, parking and backing up is easy. The gas mileage is great; I have been averaging over 20 city/hiway and it only requires regular gas. Given I have only the mid level model; it doesn't drive sporty but is pretty agile. However, it can feel tipsy in very windy driving conditions, which makes the steering feel a too light. Upgraded models might mitigate this. Lastly, while the seats are comfy, they are a bit too soft on long drives.

Favorite Features

Although not great sounding, the stereo as well as HVAC is easy to use and quickly cools/heats car; lit steering wheel controls are nice as is the on board computer showing miles to empty, tire pressure, etc. Lots of room for luggage and back seat passengers; good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

This is nit-picky but could be a deal breaker for some...the cup holder is too low down on the floor; it's a reach for your coffee and there is ONLY 1! Also, there should be grab handles for the front and rear passengers; & hooks for hanging clothes in the back seat instead of only in the trunk.

I love my Equinox
By Annie

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I love the look of my Equinox. ' After driving cars for years, I really enjoy sitting up higher.

Favorite Features

Roomy back seat

Love it!
By C L Hendrix

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Equinox (first was an '05.) I loved my first, but wanted a remote start plus some of the other new features. I'm getting 20.5mpg mixed driving, straight highway I get 29-30mpg. Remote start is great, as is the XM and OnStar. I miss the cargo shelf in my '05, but the space that's freed up is really nice. I don't care for the double cup holder in the front. If you pull up the emergency brake, you can't put a drink on the left side. Also, the air will not stay on the recirculate setting on certain vent settings, and reverts back to exterior air when you re-start the engine.

Favorite Features

Remote start, cargo area, mp3 jack, sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Move the double cup holders between front seats, cargo area opener on key fob, allow recirclation air setting to be used on all vents (like it was on earlier models.)

Wow... an SUV that's light on fuel
By midnight

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven 1000 miles so far and I can't believe the fuel efficiency from this SUV! With good driving habits I am getting 18.5 in the city and 30 on the highway. I avoided purchasing an SUV because they are typically gas hogs. This has the perfect mix of MPG/HP/Torque. It's 3500lb towing capacity pulls my camper with ease. The ride is just right. Not squishy like a minivan, but not too truck like either. The steering is not real responsive and takes a few miles to get used to. Once you are accustomed to the feel, you will enjoy its light touch and accuracy. The spare tire is stored inside the SUV keeping it from weathering. The stereo is a bit flat, but acceptable for factory.

Favorite Features

Back seat that slides up to give more cargo area or back for lots of leg room. This back seat keeps my kids happy while on long trips! I also like how comfortable the front seats are. The Leather wrapped steering wheel with radio controls is a great feature. Driver info center w/MPG readout!

Suggested Improvements

Center console and better cup holders. I don't think anyone should be juggling their drink while driving, but if you're going to have cup holders at least make them useful!

Sporty SUV
By Christina

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Equinox for four months now and am very pleased with my purchase. I test drove practically every SUV in the class and the Equinox came out on top. I came close to buying a Rogue, but the interior was cramped and lacked features. I am partial to the exteriors of the RAV4 and the Ford Edge; however, they are also lacking in the features department (at least on the basic models). The Equinox comes with a lot of bells and whistles for the price. I love the OnStar feature and the information screens. With one push of a button, I can check my oil life, tire pressure and remaining gas mileage, etc. The fuel economy isn't bad for a vehicle its size. Overall a great purchase.

Favorite Features

Interior cloth (color, design), plentiful cup holders, OnStar and information system.

Suggested Improvements

More storage area. Doors take a lot of force to shut completely. When I get out of the car and close the doors, they don't shut tightly unless you practically slam them.

I go a lot!
By chevy owner

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

The Chevy Equinox has been a great car for me. I am a detached insurance agent and this car has givin me plenty of room and comfort. It has a pretty great stereo system for those time that I have been in traffic jams and not had much to do. It gives me plenty of room in the cargo area for both my filing boxes and my luggage, and for the size of the car the fuel economy isn't bad at all. All around it has been a great car for the business man and his family.

Favorite Features

One of my favorites is the cloth interior. As a father of a 2 yr old things get dropped in the back seat but but with a damp rag my wife and I have managed to get out every thing he can spill on it.