Used 2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

I love my car
By Shari

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I like everything about this car

Excellent vehicle - fits my transportation needs
By Carlee Brown

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Timed out in LG
By D.Bisner

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had numerous electronic issues with my sport, and at 50,000 miles I got an engine ticking. In Dec 2014 the timing chains and tensioners were replaced. within a week the catalytic converter had to be replaced. A couple months later the shifter assy. I now need an ECM, and the timing chains have stretched again. I am told it is unsafe to drive, with no permanent fix, so GM will not do again. I got under 10,000 miles on the repair to which I paid the GM "Loyalty" deductible to have done. We have purchased 6 GM vehicles, 5 from the same dealership, and the only thing we are being offered is "great rebates" on a brand new GM product, and $3000 for our trouble. I have gotten a couple other opinions who are second guessing the quality of the repair, and need to pull the engine and transmission to change the timing chains.
Update: I paid out of pocket for the ECM, numerous sensors that have gone bad, and $2,400 to replace the timing chains, now for the second time. Within a week I broke down, and had to be towed back to the dealer, who said I had a lot of gunk in my engine from poor quality oil. ALL of my oil changes are done at the dealership. They did not call me to advise repair process, instead 1 phone call that it was repaired, and I owed them $889.00! For my next oil change I went to an independent repair shop, who found that the dealer never removed my dip stick when putting the oil pan back on, which bent the dip stick, and it could not be removed. I then had to pay for that repair, and a new dip stick/tube assembly. NOTHING ABOUT THAT IS OK! The dealer said they cannot help me since I had the work done elsewhere. I ask you, what could they possibly have done for me in this situation that would make anything that has happened better, and how much would they charge me for that repair!?! I am done with any GM product, EVER.!! I will NEVER purchase another GM vehicle, just because of the way I have been treated, lied to, and charged for things that I should NEVER have had to pay for. Shame on you GM, I have been loyal to you for 30 years, and you treat me like this!? You do not deserve my business.

Awesome ride.. Lots of compliments..
By Augie

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is a fantastic vehicle. Right after thanksgiving I had new tires installed. It had performance tires great for speed but not for winters in the Midwest. I have not had any problems with this SUV. I have driven it for more than 11hrs straight just gasing up and bathroom breaks. No issues at all. Transmission shifts effotlessly, no heating up. I have nothing to say about this gem. I bought it with 65k and now have 122k. Regular oil changes a must . Every month I am driving to a different state . Milwaukee to Chicago. Then Kentucky, Virginia, Buffalo, Oklahoma and back to Chicago and Milwaukee. No problem. I really don't see what issues people have . Either I was blessed with a great vehicle and know how to maintain it. Or just some people don't know how to take care and just wreck great vehicles. Or even just like to complain when given the chance..

Not so much
By Robert Haist

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Its resale value is poor and this car had reliability issues. After 93,000 miles it overheated and blew a head gasket. Had issues with it running rough from a cold start for first few seconds and had problems with spark plugs and spark plug wires. Left rear taillight kept burning out. Would blow white smoke out tailpipe once in a while. I would not recommend buying this car.