Used 2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Loving it
By rsobien

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Got this SUV in Feb 2014. Been very pleased with it. Took it on a road trip from Albuquerque to LA and San Diego with fiance and future mother in law recently - did very well, and my future mother in law who sat in the back the whole way commented about how comfortable it was. It's got reasonable muscle, rides smoothly, and can handle light off roading (don't get too crazy, though). Good cargo space, and just a great overall SUV. Great for those camping trips to places where the campgrounds aren't all paved over.

Favorite Features

Mileage is nice - from Albuquerque to Flagstaff, didn't really urgently need a fill up in Flagstaff, but figured it was a convenient place to top off. Again, I'll stress the comfort of the ride. Good handling. The sun roof is a nice perk. Good simplicity all around. Feels like it needs a dog in the back with its head sticking out the window.

Suggested Improvements

First of all, I would like to smack the ones that put the pop-out cup holders directly over the handbrake at just the right height to smash your hand between the two. That's gotten some choice adjectives out of me on a few occasions. Next... when I was on the test drive, the traction control/Stabilitrak was apparently on the fritz. I didn't notice a difference in the driving, and of course the dealer said they would fix it (and they did). Looking it up, it's apparently not an uncommon issue with these. Thankfully, it's a fairly easy fix - a solenoid valve.

My Biggest disapointment
By guss123abc

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I got this car for my wife, and she loved it for about 3 months. Got it new in 09 and have had nothing but issues. Understand a car that is on the road for 5 years should have some normal ware and tear. at 45K we had the privlige of buying a new transmission. Shortly after that timing chain. Sun roof drains keep pluging and when it rains comes inside car. Have had tire issues and TPMS issues and now Im sure spark plug issues. I made an appointment to see the dealer for stalling issues. I am getting to be real good friends with the service center operators. At 60 K now Im afraid to sell this to anyone. I dont want to pass on junk.

Favorite Features

Heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Change transmission type and back the customer.

Biggest mistake I ever Made!!!
By jabner

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my Equinox new in 2008 with 56 miles on it. The issues in order of occurance: Rear window washer quit, power steering locked up, tire sensors malfuntioned, driver side window & lock and cd player all quit working simultaneously, misfiring at 50mph (changed plugs and wires. Still misfiring) Both headlights have been replaced 9 times in 5 yrs and are very hard to replace. Headlights quit simultaneously each time. GM dropped the ball with the Equinox. Why has there not been a recall?

Favorite Features

Back seats fold down for great storage.

Suggested Improvements

The electrical system is a mess! Should be recalled.

Amazing truck!
By bdude273

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

May be one of the greatest trucks ever built. The exterior is amazingly solid, with very strong metal. I feel very safe when driving around in it. The front seats are nice and supportive, although the back seats are a tad hard, but a 5 hour road trip would still be easy to get through. VERY powerful engine, although still more fuel efficient than my 2001 Dodge Caravan with the 3.3l V6. I am getting 13 litres/100KM CITY! 5L HIGHWAY! I have factory chrome which covers the door handles, grille, exhaust tip, and the trunk. I am 5'11, and when in the back, I have well over 5 inches of leg room, and that is with the passenger seat in my position, and with the rear seats pulled all the way back.

Favorite Features

The looks! When Chevrolet was designing this car, it seems as if all the designers had light bulbs over their heads, and kept adding excellent features! In most cars nowadays, the dashboard is 100% hard plastic....But not in the Equinox!!! The airbag cover is soft rubber. Feels like it will go for 300,000 KM's.

Suggested Improvements

I have 1 improvement for Chevrolet. 1! You CANNOT have the cup holders out while the handbrake is engaged. Which idiot designed THAT?

Money Pit!!!!
By hummers

2008 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this vehicle used with 60,000 miles almost 2 years ago. Since it was used, we went ahead and got the extended warranty from the dealership. we had to replace the plugs for the car chargers, we had to replace the heated seat sensors twice w/in 2 weeks, the ignition cylinder had to be replaced so that the car would stop cutting in and out. Then just after the warranty expired, we were told the routers needed to be replaced, but in order to do so the entire brake system had to be done. We've had a slight power steering leak, and today while driving down a country road the transmission went out!! Ahhh, stay away from this money pit. Not worth the problems and money

Favorite Features

sporty looks, leather seats, sun roof

Suggested Improvements

the entire electrical and mechanical system!!!