2008 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
Biggest mistake I ever Made!!!
By jabner on 07/13/13 02:59 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my Equinox new in 2008 with 56 miles on it. The issues in order of occurance: Rear window washer quit, power steering locked up, tire sensors malfuntioned, driver side window & lock and cd player all quit working simultaneously, misfiring at 50mph (changed plugs and wires. Still misfiring) Both headlights have been replaced 9 times in 5 yrs and are very hard to replace. Headlights quit simultaneously each time. GM dropped the ball with the Equinox. Why has there not been a recall?

Amazing truck!
By bdude273 on 05/12/13 12:05 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

May be one of the greatest trucks ever built. The exterior is amazingly solid, with very strong metal. I feel very safe when driving around in it. The front seats are nice and supportive, although the back seats are a tad hard, but a 5 hour road trip would still be easy to get through. VERY powerful engine, although still more fuel efficient than my 2001 Dodge Caravan with the 3.3l V6. I am getting 13 litres/100KM CITY! 5L HIGHWAY! I have factory chrome which covers the door handles, grille, exhaust tip, and the trunk. I am 5'11, and when in the back, I have well over 5 inches of leg room, and that is with the passenger seat in my position, and with the rear seats pulled all the way back.

Money Pit!!!!
By hummers on 09/03/12 21:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this vehicle used with 60,000 miles almost 2 years ago. Since it was used, we went ahead and got the extended warranty from the dealership. we had to replace the plugs for the car chargers, we had to replace the heated seat sensors twice w/in 2 weeks, the ignition cylinder had to be replaced so that the car would stop cutting in and out. Then just after the warranty expired, we were told the routers needed to be replaced, but in order to do so the entire brake system had to be done. We've had a slight power steering leak, and today while driving down a country road the transmission went out!! Ahhh, stay away from this money pit. Not worth the problems and money

Looked Great but total PIA
By kwhit1 on 05/20/12 07:33 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

The Equinox drives good for the most part but has tons of issues. My biggest issue is the tire sensors are always going off. Had the sensor issue replaced 3 times under warranty in only a year. Warranty ran out and sensor now doesn't read pressure right. Also have a big issue with when you replace the brakes you have to replace the whole thing. It would be fine if it was rare but you have to do this every 40k miles approximately. At 70k you than get to replace the belts too. The headlights are impossible to replace on your own you have to find a dealer or a good mechanic to figure it out. Good thing my brake lights never went out because they look more difficult.. Wasn't worth the money!

Too many problems for the price!
By samanthardh on 03/24/12 19:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my car new in January 2008, and have had NUMEROUS problems. The motor to the rear windshield wipers went out just after the full warranty ran out (about 38000 miles). The check engine light has been on from about 50000 miles, with no explanation and no way to correct it. The alternator went out after about 60000 miles. GM paid for that, after some complaining. The battery has died several times, after having radio on for about 15 minutes with key on accessory. Still owe too much on it to do anything about it. Don't feel right selling it to someone else and passing off my problems to them. Wouldn't be worth what's owed on it anyway! Very discouraged! Should have stayed with Ford!

Transmission problem
By wrdallas on 03/21/12 13:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my '08 Equinox Sport new from a Dealer. I loved it from the start. However, the small narrow space between the console and the seats is impossible to retrieve anything dropped down there. I keep a 2 ft. "grabbit" just for that reason behind my seat. Too narrow for a hand and the seat track is too close to the console wall to get in there. Now, my tranny blew and is being called an "Internal proble" something to do with the valve body. The trans has to be replaced at a cost of $3900! Ouch! Anybody else have the transmission problem?

Bumping and jerking
By equinoxnono on 07/24/11 19:11 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I decide to check out the reviews on the Equinox after my wife purchased one this year. She's had what seems to be a common and on going problem with this truck. The jerking during acceleration. We have had several tune up(The dealer said that was the problem) to NO availe. Now it's more of a bigger problem than I ever thought. I decide to just ask an Equinox owner out of the blue. So I went to the local truck stop and wait for the 1st Equinox to arrive and it didn't take long. About 6 min later one pulled up and I asked the driver about any problems. Well guess what, they were having the same problem. So, I think this is a recall Item. But because the Equinox is one of there bests

transmission and chiller blew in 3 months
By rugbymom on 07/24/11 02:53 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

we bought used with 42K on car and first "chiller" went, 2 weeks in shop then transmission totally blew out, 3 weeks in shop. In both cases parts not available or stuck in Canada long delayed repairs. Both under warranty but what else is going to go? Don't buy the 2008, problems coming....will buy non American now, keep trying but reliability and repairs a repeat problem with American cars Chevy, GM in particular.

Do they work or don't they.
By qianna275 on 01/06/11 18:23 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I used to love my car but once the airbags decided they didn't want to work anymore the love affair was over. The car has been in the shop three separate times and nobody can find the problem. The passenger airbag sensors don't recognize anyone in the car when I'm driving. No matter how much they weigh. I no longer feel safe driving this chunk of metal.

Great so far!
By jdeluca1 on 01/05/11 09:22 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I bought the Equinox LT2 AWD used with about 19k miles on it. Due to Chevrolet's hit or miss reliability, we purchased the additional full warranty through 75k miles coverage. Since we bought it, we have put a ton of highway miles on it and now has 78k miles on it. The entire time we have had it--no problems thus far. The only thing we have noticed was the paint bubbles from road debris which isn't covered. I was completely surprised to read all of the terrible reviews about the Equinox on this site. We have had NO water inside, no transmission problems, no engine misfiring or anything. It has been a great buy for us and we would recommend!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox in NJ is:

$197 per month*