Used 2008 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Timed out in LG
By D.Bisner

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had numerous electronic issues with my sport, and at 50,000 miles I got an engine ticking. In Dec 2014 the timing chains and tensioners were replaced. within a week the catalytic converter had to be replaced. A couple months later the shifter assy. I now need an ECM, and the timing chains have stretched again. I am told it is unsafe to drive, with no permanent fix, so GM will not do again. I got under 10,000 miles on the repair to which I paid the GM "Loyalty" deductible to have done. We have purchased 6 GM vehicles, 5 from the same dealership, and the only thing we are being offered is "great rebates" on a brand new GM product, and $3000 for our trouble. I have gotten a couple other opinions who are second guessing the quality of the repair, and need to pull the engine and transmission to change the timing chains and tensioners. Nothing about the new SUV's is anywhere new the comfort, driving feel of my sport, and it should have lasted for more than 115,000 miles, especially with all the maintainence and repair I have done on it. The least they could do is refund my money for their poor engineering.

Awesome ride.. Lots of compliments..
By Augie

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Sport 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is a fantastic vehicle. Right after thanksgiving I had new tires installed. It had performance tires great for speed but not for winters in the Midwest. I have not had any problems with this SUV. I have driven it for more than 11hrs straight just gasing up and bathroom breaks. No issues at all. Transmission shifts effotlessly, no heating up. I have nothing to say about this gem. I bought it with 65k and now have 122k. Regular oil changes a must . Every month I am driving to a different state . Milwaukee to Chicago. Then Kentucky, Virginia, Buffalo, Oklahoma and back to Chicago and Milwaukee. No problem. I really don't see what issues people have . Either I was blessed with a great vehicle and know how to maintain it. Or just some people don't know how to take care and just wreck great vehicles. Or even just like to complain when given the chance..

Not so much
By Robert Haist

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Its resale value is poor and this car had reliability issues. After 93,000 miles it overheated and blew a head gasket. Had issues with it running rough from a cold start for first few seconds and had problems with spark plugs and spark plug wires. Left rear taillight kept burning out. Would blow white smoke out tailpipe once in a while. I would not recommend buying this car.

Never again
By Jr.

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

What a piece of manufacturing ! 09 equinox was purchased after the 2010's came out. After approximately 30,000miles developed a misfire took it to a shop,replaced 1 sparkplug still misfired 50-60 mph. Replaced all spark plugs & wires. Was somewhat better. Ignition key fails to release key most of the time. Auto door locks have failed one at a time, continues to misfire code reeder said to replace erg valve.did replace it. Still misfires head lights collect moisture inside. Car has about 78,000 now but has never ran correctly After reading other post of other owners this is not a uncommon problem. 09 was after the Gov.bailout of GM. So I M P OD! Will think better not to buy GM.

2008 chevy equinox
By daniel

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

great crossover bought mine used with 90,000 now i have 150,000 doing well but running into issues fuel pump leaking, motor and trans are strong still , these engines are good and will last up too 300 k if maintained properly ,I would by another one but i prefer the 2.4 liter

• SUV