Used 2008 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

need a better transmission
By nick Brown

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Sport 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I've had for a year now don't drive it every day and took a trip from Ohio to Tennessee and the transmission started to slip more and more. When I came back home it got even worse took it to AutoZone and ran it on computer and found out that the transmission speed sensor was causing the problem and trying to get this part is a big deal no one cares it even chevy dealers parts way to hard to find. But other than that the suv is great enjoy driving it when can.

junk!
By christina26

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

So disappointed. I bought mine 3 months ago with 59,000 miles. 63,000 miles later "service stabilitrack system" warning comes on. Thank goodness the Toyota dealer I bought it from is offering to buy it back, can't wait to get rid of it. Wish I had looked at the reviews here before purchasing, sounds like a nightmare to own!

Very roomy and comfortable. Was a nice change from a single cab truck.

Transmissions and electrical systems that work!

Loving it
By rsobien

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Got this SUV in Feb 2014. Been very pleased with it. Took it on a road trip from Albuquerque to LA and San Diego with fiance and future mother in law recently - did very well, and my future mother in law who sat in the back the whole way commented about how comfortable it was. It's got reasonable muscle, rides smoothly, and can handle light off roading (don't get too crazy, though). Good cargo space, and just a great overall SUV. Great for those camping trips to places where the campgrounds aren't all paved over.

Mileage is nice - from Albuquerque to Flagstaff, didn't really urgently need a fill up in Flagstaff, but figured it was a convenient place to top off. Again, I'll stress the comfort of the ride. Good handling. The sun roof is a nice perk. Good simplicity all around. Feels like it needs a dog in the back with its head sticking out the window.

First of all, I would like to smack the ones that put the pop-out cup holders directly over the handbrake at just the right height to smash your hand between the two. That's gotten some choice adjectives out of me on a few occasions. Next... when I was on the test drive, the traction control/Stabilitrak was apparently on the fritz. I didn't notice a difference in the driving, and of course the dealer said they would fix it (and they did). Looking it up, it's apparently not an uncommon issue with these. Thankfully, it's a fairly easy fix - a solenoid valve.

My Biggest disapointment
By guss123abc

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Sport 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I got this car for my wife, and she loved it for about 3 months. Got it new in 09 and have had nothing but issues. Understand a car that is on the road for 5 years should have some normal ware and tear. at 45K we had the privlige of buying a new transmission. Shortly after that timing chain. Sun roof drains keep pluging and when it rains comes inside car. Have had tire issues and TPMS issues and now Im sure spark plug issues. I made an appointment to see the dealer for stalling issues. I am getting to be real good friends with the service center operators. At 60 K now Im afraid to sell this to anyone. I dont want to pass on junk.

Heated seats.

Change transmission type and back the customer.

Biggest mistake I ever Made!!!
By jabner

2008 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my Equinox new in 2008 with 56 miles on it. The issues in order of occurance: Rear window washer quit, power steering locked up, tire sensors malfuntioned, driver side window & lock and cd player all quit working simultaneously, misfiring at 50mph (changed plugs and wires. Still misfiring) Both headlights have been replaced 9 times in 5 yrs and are very hard to replace. Headlights quit simultaneously each time. GM dropped the ball with the Equinox. Why has there not been a recall?

Back seats fold down for great storage.

The electrical system is a mess! Should be recalled.