2006 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
Hate this car
By renee on 12/27/08 20:59 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Equinox in Oct 2008 with less than 300 miles on it. 6 weeks later, it had already been in the shop 3 times. It was pulling and it turns out I had defective tires. Now, 3 years later I have had to buy new tires again, had to get my rotors replaced three times in 6 months, and there are noises galore. Clunking, clicking, shaking, you name it. This car is a total lemon and I would get rid of it in a second if I didn't have so much negative equity in it!

Wouldn't recommend the Equinox!
By TINA on 11/21/08 12:23 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Equinox in June of 2006. A year after puchasing it the back door areas were all chipped up and Chevy painted it for me as a good will. However a year later and it's chipped again. I have had to have the seal around the drivers door replaced. The seats are horrible, if you get even a drop of water on them it leaves a mark. The center console is cheap and pretty much useless. I heard a noise when I start it but can never be duplicated when taken to the dealer. I have recently noticed that when going up hills there is a hesitation and again the dealer can't duplicate. And now it is not always starting right away there is a hesitation.

Crash Survivor
By Bill on 11/19/08 13:47 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I was t-boned on the drivers side by an Olds 88 7-7-08 at an intersection. My wife and two sons 8 & 6 were passengers. The force of the crash bent the floorboard causing the rear passenger wheel to buckle causing our SUV to roll. When it finally came to a stop we were laying on the driver's side facing the direction we came from. Surprisingly none of the air bags deployed. We all climbed out of the broken passenger windows with little more than minor scratches. I would give the Equinox a 10 for safety other than the extra chance of a roll-over crash that all SUV's have.

My Equinox is a lemon
By powerless equinox on 11/06/08 18:04 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my car in March of 2006. In Aug of 06, the rear differential had to be replaced with only 6300 miles on the odometer. In Nov of 07, May of 08 and Nov of 08, this car completely lost power while I was driving it. It only has 24,000 miles on it and the dealer has been unable to fix the problem although each time it had been serviced for this same problem, they seem to think that they have corrected it. This car is a potential deathtrap! It is only by sheer luck that I have not been driving 60 MPH on the highway when it loses power.

Dissapointing
By cbtns28 on 10/30/08 21:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

First of all, I've driven larger SUVs before and never with as bad gas mileage as the Equinox. I've also had many problems with the starter, it starts when it wants to when I frequently have it serviced. The brakes are always very loud, even after getting them fixed. I frequently hear popping like noises when starting the car that was a recalled part and finally the most annoying thing is how loud it is driving on the highway, it does not keep out exterior noise, I feel like I'm on an airplane.

Overall, a good choice
By sofa spud on 10/24/08 10:28 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Bought an '06 LT FWD with 12k miles and drove it for 16 months to 44k miles. Minor complaints: huge turning radius, noisy wipers and poor center console design. Lost traction in the snow and blew a head gasket getting unstuck. Covered by warranty and no other problems. Very comfortable and roomy for a small SUV. Average economy 23 mpg. Would still own it if gas prices hadn't gone so high in the spring of 2008 (I have a long commute and replaced it with a more economical vehicle).

More good than bad
By bird on 10/20/08 16:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I have had pretty good luck with my equinox, as long as you get the oil checked every 3000 miles and contiue to change the cabin filter and air filter the gas mileage is about 26 mpg. For the last 6 months though we have a musty smell in the car, up until a couple of days ago when I received my first flat tire, we went to get the spare out, and my wheel well was filled with water. I was reading one of these reviews and somebody else had the same problem, fortunatley still under warranty, it was the pressure cabin release valve cover missing, so with two days no car, it is now fixed, so maybe this will help someone else if they find the same problem. Other than that myself and grandkids love the car.

Problems with the starter
By Not Happy on 10/10/08 05:39 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I love my car but not happy with many things. First the gas mileage is horrible, I get about 13 around town and 17 highway, not good. The worst of it all I have brought it to the dealership 6 times now since April 2008 for the same issue. The car will not start, it takes about 6 times for it to finally turn over. Once it does it spits and sputters, black smoke comes out of the exhaust than my RPM's go up to 8 drop to 4 than the car idles, like it wants to die. So now its back at the dealership and they cannot replicate the issue. Finally I called GM to report this. It's just nuts they keep telling me its up to standards but Hello, I got stranded at a gas station for 40 minutes. Not happy

CD player has problems
By DKB on 10/09/08 19:20 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV. My Equinox is fun to drive, but it reminds me of driving an old tractor - I need one of those handles on the steering wheel to get it to turn around. Drives like a truck, but still small enough to park like a car. Not bad overall. I can live with the steering issue, but the CD has serious problems. I have had it replaced twice in less than 2 months. The dealership warranty is still good on it, but that isn't very comforting.

Disappointed
By disappointed on 09/23/08 06:18 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I am not sure if I am driving the same vehicle as everyone else, but I am not impressed. Very cramped interior and it is ridiculous if you try to put three people back there unless they are all under 50lbs. Not roomy! Gas mileage not great. Turning radius is very poor, like parking a 18-wheeler. Window noise is absolutely horrible as well as road noise. Tires spin out in rain and it is horrible in the snow. Would not recommend. Cheaply made and designed.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.