Used 2006 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Not What I Expected
By Rachel

2006 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Equinox brand new expecting to drive off without having any issues. Within my first year I began having starter problems & the dealership looked it over and says it's suppose to make the grinding sound,when I turn the key, it's a safety feature..yeah right! After 4 years now, I find myself having to turn the key twice to get the engine started. After the 3rd year, I started dealing with a/c problems and once again after being in the shop twice, Chevy can't seem to fix the problem. I called GM and all they can do is file a report and have me bring it back into the shop to pay Chevy more money to try and fix the a/c problem a third time. I will be trading this bad purchase in soon!

Great Car!
By Erin

2006 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I am very surprised to read about the problems that a lot of reviewers have had. I bought my car used from Hertz Car Sales and have not had one issue. I love the spacious inside and think that the gas mileage has been great for an SUV. It has been incredibly reliable!

Back seat leg room

Never Again
By Tony

2006 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This Vehicle looked sharp once I brought it home. unfortunately that's when all the issues started. Dealerships were not helpful at all. Everything had a price to fix. Interior dash lights out only lights half of the odometer/fuel gauge etc. ABS and TC light have been on for 4 years have asked to have it checked. $105.00 to look at the problem (not warrantied, should be a recall) Gas guzzler, can't get 450km's off a tank, city or highway. Turning radius poor. Going back to Honda

It's going back in November 2010

hire better engineers

I miss my Equinox
By Vic

2006 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I wanted to spread some "good news". I had my Equinox until today when I traded it in on a mini-van because I just have too much "stuff" with my kids. I bought the LT model and I never had one problem with this truck. The back seats are amazingly comfortable and leg-roomy. The gas mileage was between 22 and 23 mpg on the highway. This SUV has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned in 25 yrs. Never stranded me. Always started. Drove great in varying weather conditions like snow and rain. I had 65K miles on mine and only changed the oil ever 3K miles.

Back seat: Adjustable and roomy enough for a 6-2 person like me to comfortably sit back there with the driver's seat fully moved back.

*****TURNING RADIUS***** That's my only complaint whatsoever after 65,000 miles.

So angry
By krissy17

2006 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this car brand new. A year later, the check engine light came on & the car wasn't running right. The dealer told me the coolant system needed to be replaced & kept the car for 10 days waiting for Chevy to manufacturer the parts. Since then, I've had to replace the coolant system 5 times in 4 years. I just learned that it was never the coolant system - it was the engine. 76K hwy miles & I need a new engine because Chevy failed to correctly identify the problem. I also had the car flood when it rained. I replaced the starter twice as well. Thanks a lot Chevy for making such a wonderful piece of crap!

Failing to find one right now

Figure out how to build a workable car instead of a money pit