2006 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
100,000 miles and going strong.
By Pete63 on 10/04/09 15:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Nox brand new in 2006. I have had a few issues with the wheel bearings. All have been replaced within 100,000 miles. Other than that it has all been basic maintenance. The tires on my vehicle were great (lasted 95,000 miles). I had my 100k maintenance completed a few days ago, oil, trans fluid, and filters changed. Everything is still running like brand new. Would definitely purchase another Nox when the time comes.

Unsettling Starts
By diappointed on 09/28/09 06:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Equinox, because of all the good reviews we read when they first came out. I have less than 31,000 miles and we have had to replace all 4 tires, front and rear brakes, have had a leak from the back (trunk) and replaced the weather stripping at a cost of $300.00. And today had to have it towed because the car just won't start. I had it in to the dealer because of the car not starting right away when I had turned the key, they told me that they would do a tune up and that should help and guess what did the same thing 2 days ago and now it won't start at all. I love the SUV over all.

Love Hate Relationship
By Andrew on 09/22/09 17:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Like everyone else I have had issues. Just under 2 years the tires needed to be replaced. Wheel bearings were replaced under warranty and now that warranty is done need to be replaced again. There is a knock in the gas tank because something is loose. While driving on highway front console shuts off. No speedometer, tach etc. Problems with transmission. Seems to shift into neutral while driving. Cheap windshield wipers, all replaced after 2 years. Windshield chips and cracks very easily... poor design.. Headlight needed to be replaced after 3 years. Blind spots are very big and you need to be careful... Use your mirrors Key constantly sticks in ignition.

Saved our lives
By Tracy on 09/12/09 06:58 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

We only had our Equinox 8 months but it was one of the best vehicles we have ever owned. For an suv it got decent mileage, around 22 hwy which is all we drove in it. It was so fun to drive until we lost control by driving a little too fast in the rain and went head on with the concrete barrier at 65mph. The seatbelts and airbags hurt but did exactly what they should. Nox's designed was great! We both walked away from an accident that should have killed one of us. The frame was rolled under but we had no major injuries. If you want something dependable and very safe buy a Nox. We are going to pick out a new one now!

Chevy equinox
By Camille on 08/17/09 09:49 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

When I got the suv I was so excited could not wait to take it home. The only problem it was having was when it started it was making some kind of noise after 2 years then battery did go out on me and I did have to replace it the front tires have to be replace. I am not going to complain. But over all I love it.

Capital "U" in Utility
By Ed Butera on 08/02/09 18:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

At just over 38K miles... Where this vehicle shines is it's utility: we've towed an overloaded trailer from IL to AZ and moved an 8' couch in the cabin, just to name two examples. The cabin is spacious and comfortable (minus the stiff foam in the seats) for both people and cargo; the fold-flat front seats and sliding rear bench are brilliant. It rides nice and smooth, though the suspension makes a lot of noise over bumps. Decent fuel economy, despite the outdated engine paired with an "unsure" transmission (it likes to hunt for gears on even small grades). Only problems so far have been the battery that quit and was replaced under warranty, and the squeaks and rattles that suddenly appeared.

Maintenace Headache
By Problems R Us on 07/27/09 20:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

We bought it in 2005 and it was fine for about two years. The tires barely lasted two years, then the rotors warped and had to be replaced. Thought it was over, then nightmare started with the ABS engaging under normal driving conditions. Sound familiar, well it's a poorly designed system for the speed sensor. It means you will need to replace the complete wheel hub assembly and sensor....$390.00 just for the part. Better check the centre hanger bracket bearing for the rear axle on the AWD version, that fell apart too! Good luck finding that part. Yeah, its only three years old! Did I mention the heater box fell apart...no heat...a $90.00 part but $1000.00+ for labour to get it out!!

unsure
By Brenda S IL/TX on 07/24/09 09:36 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I have enjoyed my vehicle from day one, but, I am unsure about the design of the windshield, (angle), I have had to replace my windshield 3 times and need a 4th due to tiny rocks that have come from other cars on the road. I have owned other vehicle that when a small rock hits the windshield it MIGHT chip it but with the Equinox as I stated before its almost a sure thing that I will have to replace the whole windshield because the chips spreads immediately. Another thing that kind of makes me have doubts is the blindspots it has. I am almost done paying for it and I cant say will buy another.

Good Utility
By homesbytom on 06/05/09 23:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this 2006 vehicle replacing my 2001 toyota prius in 2005. I have over 53,000 miles on the car, no major work yet. I put synthetic oil in and change it every 5k, just bought new tires and breaks. Only had one tail light go out. Otherwise car runs excellent.

Typical GM quality
By Former GM loyalist on 05/25/09 19:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This car is VERY comfortable to drive. Peppy, roomy (love the movable back seat.)yet not cumbersome in tight spaces. Very nice size for a family car. The center console is pretty awkward. The window controls mounted in the center is still confusing after 3 1/2 years owning this car. Those are my only complaints about the design. But the quality-my goodness I have had innumerable light bulbs burn out, locking differentials break, break rotors ruined at 40K miles. Maybe I'm spoiled by my Honda Civic-but all this repair work on a car with less than 50 K seems a bit much.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.