2006 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
Looks are decieving.
By Kavalyou on 03/06/10 19:20 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Great looking car outside fit very good. Inside seats cannot compare with Euro/Japan cars. Breaks- evry few months. A thumping noise from day one dealer said its normal. Love the sliding rear seat. New development @ 42,000 miles blows out the driver side tailight every two weeks. Electrical components work when they want to and come back online when they want. Now the car doesnt start That famous click and dead....

What a mistake
By Ranger on 03/01/10 13:35 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

We used the NHTSA and FuelEconomy.gov websites to narrow our search. We chose this based on their ratings and boy, were they way off. My son tapped a deer one night, didn't even break the headlight lens. $5500. At 75k miles we're putting on the third set of high quality tires. It is the noisiest vehicle I've ridden in since leaving the Army, the mileage is about 14mpg, my 2007 3/4 ton 4WD Diesel has a tighter turn radius and these seats are absolutely terrible. Spilled water on the seats and they look terrible and stains won't come out. Can't sit in them more than an hour. There is nothing redeeming about this vehicle.

dont buy it
By aggrevated on 02/16/10 15:32 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Check engine light comes on and we fix the problem. Couple weeks later its back on and this cycle has continued the entire we have owned it. The jack storage compartment door falls off constantly. The rear seat cover comes off ever now and then have to clip it back together. Seat cushions are impossible to keep clean. The vehicle has good pick up and rides well. It is roomy inside and especially the back seat. But I'd never buy another one.

Fun at First
By ImperviousLady on 02/15/10 07:24 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

We rented this car some years back and I fell in love with it then. I bought it used with on 33k miles on it. The car was great at first. I took it for its 1st oil change then the check engine light came on. Then the abs brakes started grinding (and brakes were new) then static was coming through the speakers while a cd was playing, which I read was an early sign of electrical problems. I loved the styling and ride of this truck but way too many problems that chevy needed to work out! Especially for the car being only 3 years old and not even hitting 40k miles yet. Needless to say I traded it in and not for a Chevy, which used to be my favorite car.

Heat Does Not Work!!!
By Mat on 01/19/10 18:05 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I like the SUV but unfortunately the door that blends the heat with the air flow inside breaks inside the dash and the only way to fix it is to take apart the whole dash board costing $1,200 on up!There should be a recall because there has been 1,000s of complaints registered online and GM is thumbing there nose at the consumes.

In the shop again!
By WishIcouldgetridofit on 01/18/10 07:32 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Nox in early 2006. We had numerous fixes while under warranty. We had the ignition changed three times within the first 6 months. The key would get stuck-either on, off, or wouldn't come out at all. We had the wipers worked on. Strange noises popped up that they were never able to find. After the warranty expired the problems continued. We have replaced the tires twice in 75,000 miles. It took 5 visits to the shop to discover the coolant was leaking into the heads and the engine had to be dismantled. After $1,200 and 2 weeks out of the shop it is back in. It misses out at 50-60 mph and the check engine light is on. I wish I could afford to get rid of the stupid thing!

Sporty look, but not fun to drive
By mel on 01/08/10 08:38 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this in Dec. 06. I have always had this knocking sound. Cannot figure out what it is. For the past 6 months, I have had a hesitation when I try to start it. On several occasions I didn't know if I was going to be stranded or not. Took it to a mechanic, he acted like nothing was wrong because no lights were on. Also, cd player quit working about 1 year after I bought it. Finally, there is a problem with the gears shifting. Almost seems like the transmission is going out.

Brakes
By mike on 12/15/09 08:35 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the vehicle new and have had it in the shop 6 times for braking problems. My wife drives like a grandma so I know its not due to harsh braking. I have also had the alternator replaced, luckily that was still under warranty. Unfortunately when dealing with Chevy, the warranty does not include "normal wear and tear" on rotors or pads. I have noticed that the more frequent we replace them the faster they need replacing. This will be the 3rd time in 2009. I'm over it! This can't be legal. Someone help!

I'm Alive
By Megan on 10/08/09 15:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Equinox 2 yrs ago. It has 60,000 on it now. Well, did. I had to replace the rotors and was due again. Also, the main belt in the motor had to be replaced. There was a knocking sound coming from the back passenger side we could never figure out. Also, my gas gauge was never accurate after filling up. Two days ago I totaled it. I hydroplaned and flipped numerous times before playing ping pong with pine trees. It threw me out of the seat belt ans I landed halfway outside the vehicle. Also, NONE of my air bags deployed. I came out with only scratches & bruises so I'm blessed but don't really know how I'm feeling about it at this time. Cons out weigh pros but I am alive.

100,000 miles and going strong.
By Pete63 on 10/04/09 15:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Nox brand new in 2006. I have had a few issues with the wheel bearings. All have been replaced within 100,000 miles. Other than that it has all been basic maintenance. The tires on my vehicle were great (lasted 95,000 miles). I had my 100k maintenance completed a few days ago, oil, trans fluid, and filters changed. Everything is still running like brand new. Would definitely purchase another Nox when the time comes.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.