Used 2006 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Worst car I have owned!
By eckabe

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle new in 2007. Had to replace the battery within the first 2 months. Replaced both tires and brakes less than 40,000 miles.Taken in for oxygen sensors 3 times. Windows & moon roof leak water and air. Passenger visor broke off. Rear cup holder broken.Seats impossible to clean, stained by water even. There is a back-firing noise. Dealership told me it was normal. Difficult to start at times.Factory Pioneer speakers went out yesterday.Streering wheel locks up.Rubber seal coming off doors. I have less than 70,000 miles on it. What a hunk of junk!!!

Body style

Too many to list A match and some gasoline would be a start!

Great Small Crossover
By delvic

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I originally leased in May 2006. Toward the end of 2008 I started looking around to determine whether I wanted to keep my Equinox or trade it in for something else at the end of the lease. I couldn't find anything at the price with AWD, the size, and features. I have a very stipped down model, one of the few I have seen without tinted windows (I know this is an option on the LS, but most of the LS models I see still have them), but do have the Alloy wheels. I ended up purchasing my Equinox from lease since it was better than anything else I could find. I haven't had any major issues and it's still running strong! I've replaced the tires and front breaks and have about 61K miles.

Falling apart one Piece at a Timne
By maric

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Heater door broke, was quoted $1500 by local GM dealership ($250 for parts and $1100 for labour plus taxes) , charged me $50.85 to diagnose the problem, car had 77,500 kms. Contacted GM repeatedly - got voice mails, never spoke to "Jane" in person. Went out of town to another GM dealer paid $750 for repair, in December in Canada you cannot drive without heat or defrost. Feel "ripped off" , now the leather upholstery is splitting. Had to replace Bridgestone tires at 45,000 kms. Not happy with GM .... inferior product and by the lack of response I have to assume that they don't really care! My experience answers the question for me "why are so many people not buying North American cars

When numerous vehicles have the same heater door problem you need to look at your design .... maybe a modular unit that can be pulled repaired and re-inserted rather than having to remove the entire dash - an 8 to 10 hour job. Better yet improve the quality of the materials you use so it doesn't break in the first place! The extra cost of leather upholstery suggests a value added feature .... leather that splits is not quality leather - fabric would be more durable. Bridgestone tires ----- bah-h-h-h!

Great starter vehicle for a family!
By sunnysideup3

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my 2006 Equinox used with low mileage and at a relatively decent price. We have had many vehicles in our lifetime and can definitely say it is the most reliable so far. With gas prices high in NY it makes for a more expensive daily commute. However, the expense of gas evens out when it comes to repairs and maintenance. If you take care of this vehicle it will be good to you. I believe you get out of a vehicle what you put into it. A smart buyer is an educated buyer. It is possible that if you buy from a reputable dealer- This Equinox will suit your family needs.

AWD, Great winter vehicle, Seats are easy to clean (stains come out easily), sliding back seat makes it easy to transport larger equipment, comfortable ride - nice and quiet. Great smaller family vehicle. back seat and easy to put down when carrying larger equipment

Larger gas tank and more fuel efficient

Poor quality
By gail

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2006 Equinox new and have had numerous problems, such as the two visor makeup mirrors breaking off - only used several times by adults. The battery is hidden so well that I couldn't find it! Now the heater and ac doesn't work.Cost to repair a defect in a flapper is around $1000.I need the defroster for my long commute, so I guess I don't have a car for the winter. Huge front side pillars make driving in parking lots dangerous - almost ran over a pedestrian! Seats are uncomfortable, and the rear door is stiff and needs two hands to close. The CD player is picky about what it will play. Very disappointed in this car-cheap materials, overpriced vehicle.

Reduce pillar size. Use the proper materials (plastics)so parts don't break after only a few usages. Recall for heating problems. This is not an option in cold climates.