Used 2006 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

The Best
By flexcuffs

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

The Chevy Equinox has been an excellent SUV. It's a great ride, exterior is great, looks similar to the Lexus SUV. Knock on wood, no problems at all. Very roomy, great storage.

Favorite Features

Storage, the amount of space inside of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Hooks for clothing should be in the back seat area for room to hang clothing, in the cargo area you my as well just lay the clothes down, they hang down way to far.

Excellent Equinox
By dchurch

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This is a very good SUV for the money. It handles well in snow and rain and gets decent gas mileage. It rides very smooth and looks good too.

Favorite Features

I really like the cargo area in the back. It is perfect for grocery shopping, holding luggage, tailgating, etc.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I don't like about this vehicle is the cup holders for the driver to use. They are very flimsy and difficult to fit a large soda into.

Great car, horrible turning radius
By MDxx

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car last year - Feb 2006 - and have had no problems with it. The car has been reliable and consistent. You can work a great deal on this car and definitely get your money's worth. The only downside to this vehicle is it's horrible turning radius. I never thought about a car's turning radius before buying it before, but I believe a Mac truck could u-turn easier than this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Affordable. Lots of trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius.

Nice But Not For Winter
By lupinelady99

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

So far very few mechanical issues. Comfortable and roomy. Also is dog/cat friendly as well as child friendly. Engine is very responsive and handles mountain travel well. Biggest downfall at this time is the AWD and tire configuration off the lot for winter driving. As sold it is the worst winter driving vehicle that I've ever owned. It slips and slides all over with the slightest bit of snow or ice. The tires provide no traction and are very easily covered and clogged up with snow. Looking into trying to improve status with better tires. Very pleased with improvements made to ABS brake system since the days of my 1993 S-10 Blazer. Much more responsive and quieter.

Favorite Features

Adjustable seatbelt height. XM radio/premium sound system

Suggested Improvements

Improvement for winter driving is greatly needed. GM needs to remember what an SUV is. My 1993 Chevy S-10 Blazer handles vastly better in winter still. Really miss shifting into 4WD! Also pedal adjustment for smaller sized drivers. Remote start.

Surprised and Pleased
By GMjoe

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this SUV as a replacement for a rapidly declining/dead Olds. It has really surprised me how much I like it. It is great on the road, I see 22 mpg hwy and 16-18 city. The interior space is ample and very usable. I find it more usefull than my GMC long bed for many applications. This is the first car I have ever purchased that did not have any entries in the option side of the sticker. I have since added a trailer hitch and have been pleased with the towing performance with my sailboat. So far not one problem. Knock on wood!

Favorite Features

I like the thoughtful interior design versitility with split fold down/sliding rear seat, fold flat passenger front seat, good sound system, strong standard features, and low wind noise at speed. Plenty of plugs and space for portable gadgets.

Suggested Improvements

My GMC Sierra 1500 long bed turns tighter than this thing. It's embarassing to take two shots at the parking space in something this small. I'm also still trying to get used to the placement of the window controls on the center console.