Used 2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Equinox SUV

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Too many problems
By irritated2011

2006 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car off of someone who still had all receipts from maintinence and was told that there were little to no problems. However, I'm discovering that this car isn't that great. First off- the center console. If stuff falls between the seats, have fun getting it back. Next, location of cupholders isn't great. The power jack (cigarette lighter) is in an awkward place, too. Sometimes when I start it, I have to tap the gas. Also, had brakes replaced/worked on probably 5 times, starting off with a tapping noise when stopping and a HORRIFFIC grinding noise when stopping in reverse. I've only seen one other review about that.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, looks nice. Everyone comments on how nice it looks, how smoothe the ride is.

Suggested Improvements

Better location for cupholders and cigarette lighter/power jack. Figure out what's causing this brake issue and GET IT FIXED.

Poor quality
By gail

2006 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2006 Equinox new and have had numerous problems, such as the two visor makeup mirrors breaking off - only used several times by adults. The battery is hidden so well that I couldn't find it! Now the heater and ac doesn't work.Cost to repair a defect in a flapper is around $1000.I need the defroster for my long commute, so I guess I don't have a car for the winter. Huge front side pillars make driving in parking lots dangerous - almost ran over a pedestrian! Seats are uncomfortable, and the rear door is stiff and needs two hands to close. The CD player is picky about what it will play. Very disappointed in this car-cheap materials, overpriced vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Reduce pillar size. Use the proper materials (plastics)so parts don't break after only a few usages. Recall for heating problems. This is not an option in cold climates.

Heater problem
By JEREMY

2006 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

The heater blend door broke and was quoted a $1,100 repair to fix. The car has 65,000 km on it. I called General motors head office and complained about the problem. I made my appointment to repair the vehicle at my local GM dealership and when the job was complete my bill was $224.00. Head office instructed the dealership to run it through as a warranty claim. I would like to say that this kind of service really restored my loyalty to GM. All parties involved really went above and beyond what they needed to. Thank you GM

Dissapointed Equinox Owner
By Sad Chevy Owner

2006 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

My Husband and I purchased this SUV new at the dealership. We were so excited about owning a new car, our first, only to be disappointed a few months later when our starter started to "act funny". It sounded as though it was still cranking but the engine wouldn't start. We took it into the dealer but nothing was found. Few months later, same problem and same result. We drove our car the next few years hoping for the best with the same problem hoping it would turn on when we got in. Finally just last week we decided to get rid of it because we just couldn't rely on it. I would not recommend this vehicle. Save your money folks, and find a reliable car!

Favorite Features

Leg room, sun roof, storage capacity

Suggested Improvements

cup holder in awkward place, right above hand brake, should have been designed better.

Chevy strong after 5 years
By Fwash01

2006 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle with less then ten miles. I have not had any major problems with it since driving it off the lot in December 2005. Common water leaks in the rear compartment area. Took it to the dealer for a quick fix, no luck heavy rain, check back of truck. Vehicle becomes very unstable while on the highway and amongst big vehicle. The ride feels like the vehicle is not firmly on the road. The electric steering motor gives it a different feel than with a power steering pump. Along with the unpredictable ride, light weight, makes the driver anticipate the next steering maneuver no electrical problems, 46,000 miles on original brakes. Tires changed at 45,000 miles, ac no issues.

Favorite Features

Interior space, leg room, powerful engine, real rims and not hub caps. Wish the OEM radio played MP3's.

Suggested Improvements

Find solution to electric steering motor, re-evaluate the ride characteristics, make adjustments to vehicle seems to eliminate the water drainage in rear compartment area.change interior hard plastic panels for padded ones. outstanding vehicle overall. Will think about getting a 2010 or 2011 Chevy.