2006 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
Too many problems
By irritated2011 on 04/10/11 21:31 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car off of someone who still had all receipts from maintinence and was told that there were little to no problems. However, I'm discovering that this car isn't that great. First off- the center console. If stuff falls between the seats, have fun getting it back. Next, location of cupholders isn't great. The power jack (cigarette lighter) is in an awkward place, too. Sometimes when I start it, I have to tap the gas. Also, had brakes replaced/worked on probably 5 times, starting off with a tapping noise when stopping and a HORRIFFIC grinding noise when stopping in reverse. I've only seen one other review about that.

Poor quality
By gail on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2006 Equinox new and have had numerous problems, such as the two visor makeup mirrors breaking off - only used several times by adults. The battery is hidden so well that I couldn't find it! Now the heater and ac doesn't work.Cost to repair a defect in a flapper is around $1000.I need the defroster for my long commute, so I guess I don't have a car for the winter. Huge front side pillars make driving in parking lots dangerous - almost ran over a pedestrian! Seats are uncomfortable, and the rear door is stiff and needs two hands to close. The CD player is picky about what it will play. Very disappointed in this car-cheap materials, overpriced vehicle.

Heater problem
By JEREMY on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

The heater blend door broke and was quoted a $1,100 repair to fix. The car has 65,000 km on it. I called General motors head office and complained about the problem. I made my appointment to repair the vehicle at my local GM dealership and when the job was complete my bill was $224.00. Head office instructed the dealership to run it through as a warranty claim. I would like to say that this kind of service really restored my loyalty to GM. All parties involved really went above and beyond what they needed to. Thank you GM

Dissapointed Equinox Owner
By Sad Chevy Owner on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

My Husband and I purchased this SUV new at the dealership. We were so excited about owning a new car, our first, only to be disappointed a few months later when our starter started to "act funny". It sounded as though it was still cranking but the engine wouldn't start. We took it into the dealer but nothing was found. Few months later, same problem and same result. We drove our car the next few years hoping for the best with the same problem hoping it would turn on when we got in. Finally just last week we decided to get rid of it because we just couldn't rely on it. I would not recommend this vehicle. Save your money folks, and find a reliable car!

Chevy strong after 5 years
By Fwash01 on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle with less then ten miles. I have not had any major problems with it since driving it off the lot in December 2005. Common water leaks in the rear compartment area. Took it to the dealer for a quick fix, no luck heavy rain, check back of truck. Vehicle becomes very unstable while on the highway and amongst big vehicle. The ride feels like the vehicle is not firmly on the road. The electric steering motor gives it a different feel than with a power steering pump. Along with the unpredictable ride, light weight, makes the driver anticipate the next steering maneuver no electrical problems, 46,000 miles on original brakes. Tires changed at 45,000 miles, ac no issues.

Works for me
By wolfmanjoe77 on 10/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this equinox used it had 26,000 0n it now has 53,000 an running like a dream. Just had to do the 50,000 mile maintenance, transmission flush, new tires, an brake job. 800 bucks an that's all I've spent on this thing since iv owned it. Do oil changes every 4000 miles its been to the mountains an to the ocean with nary a problem. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones from reading the reviews. I've been getting pretty steady 22 in town an 27 on hwy mpg. Mines an lt model.

Scared to be in the car
By Terrified on 09/07/10 18:24 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Got car 2006. had recall on it. things keep falling apart that have been fixed numerous times. the car doesn't start half the time but how convenient the dealer never could "duplicate" the problem until I showed them then I was told nothing was wrong. car feels unstable and I'm terrified for my children to be in the car. I'm afraid it will stop running when I'm driving. Getting rid of when I can. GM doesn't care about having their customers ride in safety. Do not buy this car

Good maintenance, Great car
By John on 09/05/10 09:28 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car just one year ago. I put 35,000 miles on it. It did not give me any problem. I am totally pleased with this car. engine runs very smooth. the only expenditure I made on this car are oil changes. I am chancing oil per 5000 miles. to sum up great car for the price.

Never Again
By Tony on 07/06/10 19:36 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This Vehicle looked sharp once I brought it home. unfortunately that's when all the issues started. Dealerships were not helpful at all. Everything had a price to fix. Interior dash lights out only lights half of the odometer/fuel gauge etc. ABS and TC light have been on for 4 years have asked to have it checked. $105.00 to look at the problem (not warrantied, should be a recall) Gas guzzler, can't get 450km's off a tank, city or highway. Turning radius poor. Going back to Honda

I miss my Equinox
By Vic on 06/19/10 21:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I wanted to spread some "good news". I had my Equinox until today when I traded it in on a mini-van because I just have too much "stuff" with my kids. I bought the LT model and I never had one problem with this truck. The back seats are amazingly comfortable and leg-roomy. The gas mileage was between 22 and 23 mpg on the highway. This SUV has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned in 25 yrs. Never stranded me. Always started. Drove great in varying weather conditions like snow and rain. I had 65K miles on mine and only changed the oil ever 3K miles.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.