need help, ac problems
By cindysue2 on
2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)
The ac on my 2005 equinox not working right. You turn the ac on and it doesn't get cold. I had it checked and was told it needed a new ac compressor, so I had a new one put on. Still didn't fix it. We discovered the fans weren't turning on to push the cold air out. I bought a pressure switch, put that on, they come on now but still not pushing cold out. It's like they are not turning fast enough. No one knows what to do with it. I'm tired of spending money & it not getting fixed. Anyone have any ideas?
By jgg6
on 08/19/14 17:50 PM (PDT)

Hello Cindy Sue, My wife complains of the AC on our 2005 Equinox LT even after an AC service. It works ok driving down the road but she cooks while sitting at a stop or when first starting the car. Here is the deal: you need to rev up the engine some (like 1,500 rpm) to activate AC pump which pushes in cold air. At a stop light, I shift into Neutral while holding the brake, then rev the engine. Remember to put in Drive before the stop light changes! Chevy uses an electric activated AC clutch (not belt driven) and programmed it to save MPG. Unfortunately, it reduces cold air too much at an idle. Once driving the rpms are high enough that it works fine.