2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
It's an Okay Car
By Megan on 11/21/08 08:27 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This is the first car I've ever owned. I needed an AWD vehicle that could do well over long distance and could haul my stuff to and from college. I drive it about 300 miles every weekend. I've only had one major problem - There was clunking in the rear end right after I bought it, and that seemed to clear up after I took it back to the dealership. But now there's some awful grinding noise in the front when I make turns (wide turns, I might add). I love the car's design and color. But anything would be great compared to my '89 Grand Prix. What a load of junk. I'm just worried about how long the Equinox will last. Hopefully more than 5 years!

Poor Quality
By Gerald on 11/19/08 17:56 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle for the style & fuel mileage. This vehicle has very cheap interior & mechanical components. Interior finish rubs off with use. Radio finish comes off. Gas cap broke. Windshield washer pump quit. If you open the windows there is a terrible thumping from air presure.

Great SUV with few minor issues
By Kerry on 11/13/08 08:15 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car back at the end of 2006 and it has proven to be a great SUV. For an SUV, it gets good gas mileage. I drive over 100 miles a day (highway and city) and get about 23 miles per gallon. I have had no major issues other than the normal brake pad changes, new tires and oil changes which you can expect on a vehicle that went from 24K miles to 74K miles in 2 years! I would recommend this car to everyone, good for the price.

Good Enough
By theccur on 11/11/08 12:29 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This is a powerful and reasonably comfortable truck with enough cargo room to transport a fair amount of watever you normally haul as well as a good sized trailer or boat. It is even reasonably attractive. I like my truck but would not recommend going without warranty coverage. There are a host of minor (correctable) problems that GM fails to correct unless you complain, and then only at the owners expense. Brakes and coolant are ongoing issues. Fortuately my dealer is reasonably responsive. I don't feel my money was badly spent, but it could have definately been better spent.

Never buying GM again
By Rich on 11/03/08 14:05 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

34,400 miles after 3 1/2 years and the the air conditioner dies. Find out the compressor is "coming apart internally." Needed a new one at over $900. Car wouldn't start. Found out the circuitry in the fuse box assembly was faulty; that needed to be replaced for over $700. Factory parts falling apart because they're GM junk. No wonder they only offered 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty. Not to mention that the front windshield collects snow so badly you need to clear it out mid-trip because the wipers just funnel it together. Turning radius is hideous as well. Basically a worthless GM vehicle.

Three years down the road.
By daddysangel on 10/12/08 18:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

We came from my second-hand 1996 Geo Metro 3-door hatchback dying from a major oil leak & my dad's 1998 Chevy Malibu to my 2005 lazer blue with dealer installed gray pin-stripping `Nox LT. I'd been lurking for year(s)searching for a vehicle to haul my WWII VFW dad & any future walking aids he'd have. Regular oil changes, tire rotations & annual car wash is all it has needed (garaged for the last 2 years). The MPG was 14 in 2005 and I expect it to still be low; since it only gets to run to the doctors, groceries, church and senior citizens club in a small town with 20 to 35 mph speed limits. It got a compliment this summer after its annual carwash about how pretty it was...is it new?

Wow love it!
By Tina on 08/24/08 12:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Well, this is one vehicle I won't trade in. I love the way it drives, I feel like i'm driving a fast car. I love the way it makes me feel that it is a SUV. But it dosen't feel like it.

Counting the days till I return!
By unhappyMA on 08/21/08 13:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This was the first GM car I have ever bought and it will be the last. I had to replace the struts and strut mounts as well as the front axle at 14,000 miles. The front brakes and rotors at 35,000 and the rear brakes have been deglazed 3 times the first was at 10,000 miles. The car is so loud, you hear ever bump in the road. The car handles horribly and does not feel safe. The only thing I am happy about is that I did not purchase the vehicle instead I used the smart buy program and I will be returning it early in December. The worst part is GM knows the issues with the safety of the car an ignores them.

Country Girl
By Jeannie on 08/02/08 09:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I went from a Grand Caravan to an Equinox and enjoy the smaller size. The turning radius is longer than the van, which is odd. So far, I am enjoying it. Am getting 20+ in mixed driving and will probably get more on a trip. The cup holders are inconvenient. I think the shift mechanism should trade places with cup holders so the cups are comfortable to reach. Need a dome (reading) light between visors, front is dark at night. A/C cools well, SUV handles nicely. Has 80,000 (fleet vehicle) on it, but is trouble free so far. My son-in-law found it for me on e-bay - driving it home my daughter liked it so much, they got one for her.

Hunk of Junk
By Hunk of Junk on 07/17/08 10:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Where do I even start. This vehicle has been nothing but a problem ever since I bought it. I just put $2400 dollars into it and last year it was $1000. It is only 3 years old with just over 100 thousand kilometers and I have relapced the front stablizer linkage arms twice, head gasket, brakes 4 times, both front bearings and struts, and hanger bearing. The front still sounds like it is ready to fall apart. Sometimes it doesn't want to start.I really want to get rid of it but I still have 2 years left owing on it and if I trade it I won't get anything for it but if I keep how much more am I going to have to put in to it.