Used 2005 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Equinox

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Good car
By starwalker

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Equinox used in 2007, my current mileage is 110,000. I've had no problems . Only performed routine maintenance . A great vehicle and fun to drive. Handles great in the northern Michigan winters .

Better than expected
By chris

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used with 70,000 miles haven't found most of the complaints that others have to be an issue. Had heard that the engine was underpowered and the cabin was noisy but driving on the highway the first couple times I was surprised to look at the speed and find myself doing 80. For the noise the only thing that intrudes is the tires when going over large bumps. Engines quiet unless you mash the pedal. Wind pushes it around easily something I never felt in my last car. Acceleration's not great but has plenty of power for highway driving. Love that I can carry five people over six feet and have them be comfortable. Fuel economy is about 21 mpg. Seats and floor were stained cleaned up easy

Favorite Features

large interior, smooth quiet ride, plenty of power. exterior design draws lots of complements. good gas mileage and range you can get over three hundred miles on one tank but because the gauge reads empty when you have around 5 gal left i fill up after 270 so essentially its a 13 gallon tank

Suggested Improvements

paint on door handles and radio comes off easily, power window switches are placed in the middle and awkward to use while driving. cruise control is easy to turn on by accident. traction, even with awd almost slid off the road,wheel wells in trunk, accurate fuel gauge, reads empty way to soon

The more miles the more problems.
By Lindz

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Equinox about a year ago and loved it at first. It drove smoothly, it was comfortable to travel in for a little bit. Then my anti-lock braking system started to take a crap on me. Took it into the dealer said that it was a computer chip malfunction.They replaced that and I didn't even hardly get it out of the parking lot before it did it again. Took it back again and finally figured out it was something in the wheel. I hate the interior I spilled water on my seat and it stained it! All the buttons are wearing off and I just took it to the shop again because something to do with my radiator that could have potentially burnt my engine up! The more miles the more problems it seems.

Favorite Features

I have a soft spot for this car for some reason still, I do like the leg room. I also like the look of it, it's snappy looking.

Suggested Improvements

They should really not put such cheap interior in it. Water stained my seats and all the paint has worn off of the radio buttons.

So far so good
By Mark

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

It's easy to change the oil, which was impossible on my wife's GEO Prism. I have taken it on several 2000 mile fishing trips to Canada, Minnesota - it's easy to load, easy to drive, visibility and clearance like a pick up truck but has better speed. Disappointing gas mileage. For some reason, I've had to replace several headlamps. Currently one is clearly full of condensation and will probably fail soon. I'd get another, if newer models can get better gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Sit in a Saturn ION and then sit in an Equinox. The Chevy feels like a nice couch, the Saturn feels like a lawn chair.

Suggested Improvements

Re-design the area around the wipers. It's hard to clear snow and ice out enough to allow the windshield washer fluid to spray. Also the driver side seat belt rewind is weak. Often I get out and its dangling out of the door frame, rather than winding itself back up.

PLEASE consider your options first
By smyoung312

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for 5 years now, & I have many issues with it. First, the pump that dispenses the washer fluid went out, 3 years ago! Now, my drivers door will not lock unless I manually lock it myself, but will not unlock unless I physically crawl through my car, and unlock it from the inside (key doesn't work in the door). My car can be on without the key in the ignition, my running lights wont stay on, and my automatic lights don't turn on either, which has resulted in a dead battery numerous times! I have had many problems with this car, and not enough $ to fix them! The problems just keep stacking up! Oh and my CD player eats my CD's if I've been in the car for more than 20 minutes!

Favorite Features

I do like the gas mileage this car offers and the room in the back seat for my kids.

Suggested Improvements

What isn't there to improve! The interior is awful and the paint has chipped off almost everything!