2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
Our floorboards are soaking wet
By Daryl on 12/18/08 06:10 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

The rear hatch leaks when it rains and now the spare tire well is full of water and the carpet is soaking wet. My local dealership has never heard of this problem and offered me no help. Between oil changes, my Equinox uses more than a quart of oil. Local dealership says this is an "acceptable" amount of oil usage. I've had 10 year old cars that didn't use this much oil between changes! The center console design is terrible. You can't have a drink in the cupholder and pull up the emergency brake at the same time. We traded a Toyota Camry for this vehicle and thought we were trading up. We were dead wrong. I would prefer to buy American but this makes me never want to by a Chevy again.

Great Mini SUV
By Great Mini SUV on 12/08/08 17:17 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I drive my Equinox 150 miles at least a day. I have had no problems to report. My wife and I love to get into the Equinox and driving. The vehicle does ride a little loud and has a big turn radius. But coming from a truck and a Buick station wagon the turning radius really isn't an issue. My biggest complaint is the gas tank being on the passenger side.

Good so far
By TA Clark on 11/21/08 16:37 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Was reluctant to buy a first year model, but have had it four years and 34,000 miles with no problems at all - just regular service. Have the top-of-the-line model with AWD. Live in northwest PA, and it does really well in snow. Have the laser blue metallic with gray leather. Mileage got better over the years - is now about 24 mpg highway. Really lousy turning radius. Front end is noisy - everything sounds loose. Paint is thin and leather is not high quality. Price was good for a good looking AWD crossover. Great sunroof. So far, can't beat it for reliability.

It's an Okay Car
By Megan on 11/21/08 08:27 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This is the first car I've ever owned. I needed an AWD vehicle that could do well over long distance and could haul my stuff to and from college. I drive it about 300 miles every weekend. I've only had one major problem - There was clunking in the rear end right after I bought it, and that seemed to clear up after I took it back to the dealership. But now there's some awful grinding noise in the front when I make turns (wide turns, I might add). I love the car's design and color. But anything would be great compared to my '89 Grand Prix. What a load of junk. I'm just worried about how long the Equinox will last. Hopefully more than 5 years!

Poor Quality
By Gerald on 11/19/08 17:56 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle for the style & fuel mileage. This vehicle has very cheap interior & mechanical components. Interior finish rubs off with use. Radio finish comes off. Gas cap broke. Windshield washer pump quit. If you open the windows there is a terrible thumping from air presure.

Great SUV with few minor issues
By Kerry on 11/13/08 08:15 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car back at the end of 2006 and it has proven to be a great SUV. For an SUV, it gets good gas mileage. I drive over 100 miles a day (highway and city) and get about 23 miles per gallon. I have had no major issues other than the normal brake pad changes, new tires and oil changes which you can expect on a vehicle that went from 24K miles to 74K miles in 2 years! I would recommend this car to everyone, good for the price.

Good Enough
By theccur on 11/11/08 12:29 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This is a powerful and reasonably comfortable truck with enough cargo room to transport a fair amount of watever you normally haul as well as a good sized trailer or boat. It is even reasonably attractive. I like my truck but would not recommend going without warranty coverage. There are a host of minor (correctable) problems that GM fails to correct unless you complain, and then only at the owners expense. Brakes and coolant are ongoing issues. Fortuately my dealer is reasonably responsive. I don't feel my money was badly spent, but it could have definately been better spent.

Never buying GM again
By Rich on 11/03/08 14:05 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

34,400 miles after 3 1/2 years and the the air conditioner dies. Find out the compressor is "coming apart internally." Needed a new one at over $900. Car wouldn't start. Found out the circuitry in the fuse box assembly was faulty; that needed to be replaced for over $700. Factory parts falling apart because they're GM junk. No wonder they only offered 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty. Not to mention that the front windshield collects snow so badly you need to clear it out mid-trip because the wipers just funnel it together. Turning radius is hideous as well. Basically a worthless GM vehicle.

Three years down the road.
By daddysangel on 10/12/08 18:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

We came from my second-hand 1996 Geo Metro 3-door hatchback dying from a major oil leak & my dad's 1998 Chevy Malibu to my 2005 lazer blue with dealer installed gray pin-stripping `Nox LT. I'd been lurking for year(s)searching for a vehicle to haul my WWII VFW dad & any future walking aids he'd have. Regular oil changes, tire rotations & annual car wash is all it has needed (garaged for the last 2 years). The MPG was 14 in 2005 and I expect it to still be low; since it only gets to run to the doctors, groceries, church and senior citizens club in a small town with 20 to 35 mph speed limits. It got a compliment this summer after its annual carwash about how pretty it was...is it new?

Wow love it!
By Tina on 08/24/08 12:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Well, this is one vehicle I won't trade in. I love the way it drives, I feel like i'm driving a fast car. I love the way it makes me feel that it is a SUV. But it dosen't feel like it.