2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
My Last Chevrolet
By Tom on 04/04/09 14:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

We were impressed by the looks of the Equinox. We have had no mechanical issues. We have had many other issues, which made me vow that this is my last Chevy. When traveling on the interstate the road noise is awful. The AC noise is really loud also. We had to have two of the rear seatbelt latches replaced because they didn't latch. A strut on the hatch went out. The interior is very cheap. Water stains the seats. When you follow the instructions in the owners manual on how to clean the interior, it just looks worse. Had to buy seat covers to hide the stains.

Absolutely Great Vehicle for 4 years now
By Mikey on 04/02/09 07:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I am still amazed when I see any negative comments about this car. It has been an outstanding vehicle for me. I wonder how the Lexus owners that spent double feel when people were staring at the great looks of my car!!! 4 years now and no problems. (A gas cap and some tires) It is as fun to drive as the Mercedes 300E I once owned. The back seat leg room is my favorite feature. My 6ft tall kids love it. Very roomy, great ride and handling and has been reliable. I don't think I could have bought better.

Just Purchased
By Vitajay on 03/03/09 10:36 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Reason: cars are a challenge for my knees, getting in and out. Also we (mom and son) are 6'2 and 6'5, so we needed leg room. It drives nicely and I spoke with other Equinox owners who had nothing but nice things to say. Everybody's experience is different, but so far I've driven to work and back and the ride is smooth. I will have good gas mileage since my travel to work is mainly highway. Time will tell if I made a good decision.

EQI-NOT
By Puzzled Owner on 01/13/09 21:31 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

At 30,000 miles a rear wheel bearing had to be replaced. The front brake rotors showed serious warping at 30,000 miles. The standard tires were substandard. The vehicle overall has bad gas mileage. It is a very handy vehicle for shopping, hauling. I have always been a GM man even when they rusted out in 3 years. Thank God the Japanese introduced their line. Even though I accumulate GM dollars, I will go foreign the next time around.

No other vehicle will do it for me
By Rox on 01/13/09 09:35 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Had the vehicle 5 months now. It is very comfortable. Love the heated seats and sunroof. The vehicle handles better than any other vehicle I've had in the winter. I see people slipping and sliding all over the road in newer vehicles and my Nox is sturdy and safe. I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone who has a family and who lives in wintry conditions. I don't find the vehicle to be a gas oink and it doesn't cost that much to fill the tank. The vehicle handles well on the highway and even better in snowy conditions. Most people who see it comment on what a smart SUV it is and where did I get it. Thanks Chevy for the best vehicle we've ever owned!

Never again GM!
By japauley on 01/09/09 13:51 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I was so looking forward to buying this vehicle. Then I did. I had to tell the salesman the specs on the Equinox. GM's SmartBuy program is a joke. You have to pay them to take the vehicle back if you decide you don't want it! The tires went bald at 15k miles. Then it took 3 months to find tires! The service engine soon light comes on every 4-5 starts and Chevy says just to ignore it, rather than figure out what causes it. They want $13k after 4 years for the vehicle when it goes straight to auction for $5k. Gas mileage is not what they advertised! I get 11-16 mpg. It's supposed to get 19-25. I'll never buy another GM since I can get a much better vehicle for less than what I paid on this one

Good basic transportation
By Gabbie on 01/03/09 11:55 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I'm graduating from a 2002 Subaru Outback. I needed AWD and the ability to fit 3 car seats across the back seat. The 2005 Equinox with cloth seats fits the bill. The back seat is cavernous and really easy for the kids to get in and out of their seats (Graco SnugRide, Radian 80, Graco Nautilus). The AWD is great, much superior to the FWD I was renting. I like the higher ride as compared to a car. I like the suspension as compared to a truck chassis like a Trail Blazer. The interior is cheap and basic, but I don't care about any of that and didn't want to pay up for it. The price is hard to beat. All in, this is just what I was looking for.

Our floorboards are soaking wet
By Daryl on 12/18/08 06:10 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

The rear hatch leaks when it rains and now the spare tire well is full of water and the carpet is soaking wet. My local dealership has never heard of this problem and offered me no help. Between oil changes, my Equinox uses more than a quart of oil. Local dealership says this is an "acceptable" amount of oil usage. I've had 10 year old cars that didn't use this much oil between changes! The center console design is terrible. You can't have a drink in the cupholder and pull up the emergency brake at the same time. We traded a Toyota Camry for this vehicle and thought we were trading up. We were dead wrong. I would prefer to buy American but this makes me never want to by a Chevy again.

Great Mini SUV
By Great Mini SUV on 12/08/08 17:17 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I drive my Equinox 150 miles at least a day. I have had no problems to report. My wife and I love to get into the Equinox and driving. The vehicle does ride a little loud and has a big turn radius. But coming from a truck and a Buick station wagon the turning radius really isn't an issue. My biggest complaint is the gas tank being on the passenger side.

Good so far
By TA Clark on 11/21/08 16:37 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Was reluctant to buy a first year model, but have had it four years and 34,000 miles with no problems at all - just regular service. Have the top-of-the-line model with AWD. Live in northwest PA, and it does really well in snow. Have the laser blue metallic with gray leather. Mileage got better over the years - is now about 24 mpg highway. Really lousy turning radius. Front end is noisy - everything sounds loose. Paint is thin and leather is not high quality. Price was good for a good looking AWD crossover. Great sunroof. So far, can't beat it for reliability.