Used 2005 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Most Helpful|
Bad Purchase
By Barbara

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle brand new and within 3 weeks the dealership had it for 3 weeks fixing a computer problem. Should have known a lemon but have it for 68,000 miles and it ran hot put 700 in I don't know what because 45 miles later I had to tow it to a dealership that told me $5,000 to repair I refused and called gm repeatedly and they told the dealership to fix it for 1000 had only a few days after they had it for a week the check engine came on and the power Windows messed up. I baby this car so no reason for all this trouble. Gm said it had high mileage that does not hold true for foreign cars t hat get hundreds of thousand miles. I will not purchase a gm car again and neither should you.

Favorite Features

The stereo

Suggested Improvements

The head lights sweat it leaks around the overhead lights. Just redesign and rebuild the whole thing

Unfortunate vehicle by General Motors
By bmduffield

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased a 05 Equinox in May 2006 with just under 26k miles on it. I assumed I was just in the right place at the right time and signed on the dotted line. The problems began immediately, but the real problem has been the engine. In 2008 with less than 60k miles on it the head gasket blew. GM refused to do anything, I paid 2,500 for the repair. Yesterday included, the heads have blown 4 times since purchasing. I complain to GM every.time and while they are aware of the known issue they continue to do nothing to rectify the situation. A quick internet search and you will find how common the head gasket problem is on these vehicles. I do not recommend anyone purchasing this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to take the necessary measures to rectify the vehicles that are affected by the faulty motors, gaskets and coolant used by General Motors.

If You Like Spending Money This Is The SUV For You!!!!
By marthe_rn23

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I Purchased My 05 Equinox In May of 2012 With 90k "Father's Day Gift" To Self, Some Gift!!! Since I've Had It Nothing But Trouble, A Week After Purchase I Had Engine Misfire (Tune Up) Which Had Just Been Done At Purchase, Got It Repaired, The Dealer Said The Spark Plugs Had Melted HOW???? Since I've Had To Replace Water Pump, Belt And Pully, Thermostat, Air Bag Sensor, CD Player, Both Front Entire Strut Sets, Muffler And Now At 105k The HEAD GASKETS, Not Just The Gaskets Tho, Both Entire Heads As Well Along With New Plugs And Wires And All New Filters... This Thing Is A Money Pit And It's Driving Me Right Into The Poor House... It's A Beautiful Car For Sure BUT STAY AWAY I Call Her EVE!!!

Favorite Features

AWD

Suggested Improvements

Head Gasket Recall,

need help, ac problems
By cindysue2

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

The ac on my 2005 equinox not working right. You turn the ac on and it doesn't get cold. I had it checked and was told it needed a new ac compressor, so I had a new one put on. Still didn't fix it. We discovered the fans weren't turning on to push the cold air out. I bought a pressure switch, put that on, they come on now but still not pushing cold out. It's like they are not turning fast enough. No one knows what to do with it. I'm tired of spending money & it not getting fixed. Anyone have any ideas?

UPDATE On My Previous Post. MarThe_RN23 Now At 140K And Loving It!!!! Worth The Minor Issues If You Have Reasonable Mechanic Trust Worthy Mechanic!
By marthe_rn23

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Since My Last Post I Did Have The Entire Engine Rebuilt... Since The Rebuild I Have Put 40K On It In 1 Year, I So Have Grown To Love It, Drove It Cross Country Several Times And It Has Never Left Me Stranded, I Have Been Following The Maintenance Schedule 2The T, Transmission Flushes, Coolant Flushes, Simi Synthetic Oil Changes. Also A New Catalytic Converter, Rear Shocks, Front Brake Pads And Wheel Bearings, Air Filterx2, Cabin Air Filter, Driver Headlight, Passenger Head Light Wires Burned Out {Current}. A/C Condenser, Radio &Though It Seems Like Alot They Have Been Really Cheap Fix's, Since Its Paid For I Think Its Worth It! Also My Passenger Seat Doesn't Recline Any One Know What To Do?

Favorite Features

Speaker System, AWD Drive Is Amazing I Don't Ever Get Stuck In The Harsh Winters Of Buffalo NY!!!! Also Parts Are Very Cheap And Reliable Off Of Ebay With Fast Delivery, I Have Ordered Every Part For My Car From There Including The Driver Mirror {POWER} Brand New Which Only Cost Me $30 Bucks, A/C Condenser Brand New In Box $50, Head Light Brand New $100 Front Impact Sensor $108 Brand New... Catalytic Convertor $98 Oh Did I Mention NO TAX And FREE Shipping... Colored Replacement keyless Entry Remote $4 Bucks Yes FOUR Bucks I Got Blue!!! Front Wheel Bearings $78 For Set! Rear Shocks $42 Deals You Can't Beat #EBAY

Suggested Improvements

I Mean They Don't Make Them Like This Any More Lol!!!