Used 2005 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Equinox

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

not happy
By nothappyall1

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2005 new. The 2nd month I had it, a part in the transmission broke. Then the lift gate lock and the CD did not work properly fixed under warranty. Just out of warranty (14 months old) side mirror switch,$40, the ABS sensor went bad, $200, Then the upper strut plates and a strut went bad, $300. Since then, the ABS sensor went bad again, both struts and upper plates replaced again $472. The wiring harness in the driver door (Which controlls the speaker, locks, alarm, and dinger) was replaced $200. The rear hub replaced $255. The paint on the interior doors and on the radio buttons is chipping off. The fabric is not easy to clean. The CD changer just broke. I did not get my $'s worth

Favorite Features

I like the rear sliding back seat. It handles well in the snow. I like to be able to fold down only half of the backseat. The front passenger seat folds down flat. (I used it as a baby changing table on road trips). I like the roof rack. I did like the CD changer until now it just broke.

Suggested Improvements

Use better parts. The Abs sensor, the upper strut plates and struts went bad twice. It would be nice to adjust the lumbar part of the drivers seat, it took me a few months to get used to it. A map light would be nice, my car has the light fixture in the middle of the ceiling and it is awkward to flip the switch. It would be nice if there was a low windshield washer fulid light. Fabric that hides stains. (I have 2 kids and 2 dogs, my fabric looks nasty now because I am not able to clean it)

Losing power and getting wet...
By starsmyles

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle used with 72,300 miles. I fell in love with the exterior. Upon first entering the vehicle I noted the paint on the radio buttons were worn. I was okay with this slight imperfection. I bougt the vehicle. After a couple weeks I had to repalce the struts. The vehicle ran okay. Then it was spring. The vehicle did not start or go easily on hills, the vehicle lost acceloration in the rain ( this is not a proven hypothesis but likely with my evidence) and has been in the shop since May 2011. I drove it 1700 miles. I wish I had better things to say however I have not had it for nearly six months as it has been in the shop.

Favorite Features

I love the looks of the exterior. My pocketbook fit nicely under the arm console of the vehicle. My passengers commented on first impressions The stereo is nice except for the worn paint (and no the previous owner did not really love the buttons, this is common)

Suggested Improvements

Make it so the vehicle can be reliable after it gets wet. Not to lose power when you are driving or trying to drive Improved interior materials

Starting problems
By mudskipper

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I recently bought a 2005 Equinox. I looked for over a month and thought I got a good deal. I've had it for a week and I'm having starter problems. It turns over but takes a long time to start. This only happens about half the time. As I'm reading reviews I'm seeing this is a common problem. I would like to get it fixed while under warranty so I'm curious to know what exactly the problem is. Seeing all of these bad reviews and potential problems I am now wondering if I was wrong in buying an Equinox. Any ideas on the starting problem?

Okay SUV
By ap21ril

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this used in 2008 with 28,000 miles and just traded it in with 52,300 miles. I liked it and thought it was fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Features I liked were: good gas mileage, easy to drive, roomy in back seat, and the carge area could have shelves.

Suggested Improvements

Problems I had: good brand tires were bald after 30,000 miles (don't drive them hard or anything)- I think being FWD it wore them down FAST, drivers window started creaking when I was rolling it back up, clunking noise occasionally under the hood that could never be recreated, and finally every 2-3 months it would not start the first (sometimes second and third) try.

2005 Box of Rocks
By rchiefari

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Front end makes all kinds of noise due to the poor quality components. Drivers side wheel bearing/hub has blown out 3 times in two years, air conditioner gave out --electrical - cant find the problem. You have to remove the front chrome grill and headlamp assembly to replace a headlight --are you kidding?? Can't see out the back window when backing up.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

They should have turned all these in during Cash for Clunkers