Used 2005 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Unfortunate vehicle by General Motors
By bmduffield

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased a 05 Equinox in May 2006 with just under 26k miles on it. I assumed I was just in the right place at the right time and signed on the dotted line. The problems began immediately, but the real problem has been the engine. In 2008 with less than 60k miles on it the head gasket blew. GM refused to do anything, I paid 2,500 for the repair. Yesterday included, the heads have blown 4 times since purchasing. I complain to GM every.time and while they are aware of the known issue they continue to do nothing to rectify the situation. A quick internet search and you will find how common the head gasket problem is on these vehicles. I do not recommend anyone purchasing this vehicle.

GM needs to take the necessary measures to rectify the vehicles that are affected by the faulty motors, gaskets and coolant used by General Motors.

not happy
By nothappyall1

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2005 new. The 2nd month I had it, a part in the transmission broke. Then the lift gate lock and the CD did not work properly fixed under warranty. Just out of warranty (14 months old) side mirror switch,$40, the ABS sensor went bad, $200, Then the upper strut plates and a strut went bad, $300. Since then, the ABS sensor went bad again, both struts and upper plates replaced again $472. The wiring harness in the driver door (Which controlls the speaker, locks, alarm, and dinger) was replaced $200. The rear hub replaced $255. The paint on the interior doors and on the radio buttons is chipping off. The fabric is not easy to clean. The CD changer just broke. I did not get my $'s worth

I like the rear sliding back seat. It handles well in the snow. I like to be able to fold down only half of the backseat. The front passenger seat folds down flat. (I used it as a baby changing table on road trips). I like the roof rack. I did like the CD changer until now it just broke.

Use better parts. The Abs sensor, the upper strut plates and struts went bad twice. It would be nice to adjust the lumbar part of the drivers seat, it took me a few months to get used to it. A map light would be nice, my car has the light fixture in the middle of the ceiling and it is awkward to flip the switch. It would be nice if there was a low windshield washer fulid light. Fabric that hides stains. (I have 2 kids and 2 dogs, my fabric looks nasty now because I am not able to clean it)

Losing power and getting wet...
By starsmyles

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle used with 72,300 miles. I fell in love with the exterior. Upon first entering the vehicle I noted the paint on the radio buttons were worn. I was okay with this slight imperfection. I bougt the vehicle. After a couple weeks I had to repalce the struts. The vehicle ran okay. Then it was spring. The vehicle did not start or go easily on hills, the vehicle lost acceloration in the rain ( this is not a proven hypothesis but likely with my evidence) and has been in the shop since May 2011. I drove it 1700 miles. I wish I had better things to say however I have not had it for nearly six months as it has been in the shop.

I love the looks of the exterior. My pocketbook fit nicely under the arm console of the vehicle. My passengers commented on first impressions The stereo is nice except for the worn paint (and no the previous owner did not really love the buttons, this is common)

Make it so the vehicle can be reliable after it gets wet. Not to lose power when you are driving or trying to drive Improved interior materials

Starting problems
By mudskipper

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I recently bought a 2005 Equinox. I looked for over a month and thought I got a good deal. I've had it for a week and I'm having starter problems. It turns over but takes a long time to start. This only happens about half the time. As I'm reading reviews I'm seeing this is a common problem. I would like to get it fixed while under warranty so I'm curious to know what exactly the problem is. Seeing all of these bad reviews and potential problems I am now wondering if I was wrong in buying an Equinox. Any ideas on the starting problem?

Okay SUV
By ap21ril

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this used in 2008 with 28,000 miles and just traded it in with 52,300 miles. I liked it and thought it was fun to drive.

Features I liked were: good gas mileage, easy to drive, roomy in back seat, and the carge area could have shelves.

Problems I had: good brand tires were bald after 30,000 miles (don't drive them hard or anything)- I think being FWD it wore them down FAST, drivers window started creaking when I was rolling it back up, clunking noise occasionally under the hood that could never be recreated, and finally every 2-3 months it would not start the first (sometimes second and third) try.