2005 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
Never Again
By AnnaB on 06/08/10 03:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used with 23k miles and soon as I drove off lot engine light came on! After 35,000 cd player went out, brakes go out every 6-7 months, at 52k miles driver window won't go down at all. Worst car of my life. Not enough room Take my key out no lights on still continues to ding used to be able to pull key at angel to get it to stop now that won't work Chevy can't figure out what's wrong. No way to use e-brake if you need it without ruining interior and getting all sticky. Seats stain with just water being used on them. Stay away from the equinox! interior flakes with no effort. will never own again staying away from GM altogether nothing but problems from them

Do Not Buy!
By Moonbeam on 06/07/10 17:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 05 brand new and could have never imagined such problems with a new car. The details are too long to list but there have been issues from the beginning ranging from engine trouble to the interior simply falling apart. Unfortunately I am stuck with this vehicle right now but unless the President of Chevy personally calls me to apologize and offers me a free vehicle I will never drive Chevy again. Please take my advice and do the same.

Good car
By starwalker on 06/01/10 09:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Equinox used in 2007, my current mileage is 110,000. I've had no problems . Only performed routine maintenance . A great vehicle and fun to drive. Handles great in the northern Michigan winters .

Better than expected
By chris on 04/12/10 21:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used with 70,000 miles haven't found most of the complaints that others have to be an issue. Had heard that the engine was underpowered and the cabin was noisy but driving on the highway the first couple times I was surprised to look at the speed and find myself doing 80. For the noise the only thing that intrudes is the tires when going over large bumps. Engines quiet unless you mash the pedal. Wind pushes it around easily something I never felt in my last car. Acceleration's not great but has plenty of power for highway driving. Love that I can carry five people over six feet and have them be comfortable. Fuel economy is about 21 mpg. Seats and floor were stained cleaned up easy

The more miles the more problems.
By Lindz on 04/10/10 11:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Equinox about a year ago and loved it at first. It drove smoothly, it was comfortable to travel in for a little bit. Then my anti-lock braking system started to take a crap on me. Took it into the dealer said that it was a computer chip malfunction.They replaced that and I didn't even hardly get it out of the parking lot before it did it again. Took it back again and finally figured out it was something in the wheel. I hate the interior I spilled water on my seat and it stained it! All the buttons are wearing off and I just took it to the shop again because something to do with my radiator that could have potentially burnt my engine up! The more miles the more problems it seems.

So far so good
By Mark on 03/25/10 11:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

It's easy to change the oil, which was impossible on my wife's GEO Prism. I have taken it on several 2000 mile fishing trips to Canada, Minnesota - it's easy to load, easy to drive, visibility and clearance like a pick up truck but has better speed. Disappointing gas mileage. For some reason, I've had to replace several headlamps. Currently one is clearly full of condensation and will probably fail soon. I'd get another, if newer models can get better gas mileage.

PLEASE consider your options first
By smyoung312 on 03/02/10 09:56 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for 5 years now, & I have many issues with it. First, the pump that dispenses the washer fluid went out, 3 years ago! Now, my drivers door will not lock unless I manually lock it myself, but will not unlock unless I physically crawl through my car, and unlock it from the inside (key doesn't work in the door). My car can be on without the key in the ignition, my running lights wont stay on, and my automatic lights don't turn on either, which has resulted in a dead battery numerous times! I have had many problems with this car, and not enough $ to fix them! The problems just keep stacking up! Oh and my CD player eats my CD's if I've been in the car for more than 20 minutes!

Gas sucker
By setheus on 02/16/10 10:30 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the chevy Equinox LS 2005 3 weeks ago. With 23000 miles on it. We test drove it and pilled back in the dealership and it was smoking from the front grill. So they said we put it trough service. They called back and said something between emission and oilfilter is wrong.They replaced the part ( took them 3 Days to do it.)They had to order the part.It uses a lot of gas. I'm driving between 60- 70 miles a week and have to fill this sucker up every week. Getting ready to bring that car back and go buy one somewhere else. BAD GAS MILEAGE.....:-((

Great look sucky engine
By sammy_jo08 on 01/27/10 20:15 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my nox almost 8 months ago. How its not running at all. I bout it with 50k miles, I have never beat my car nor let the antifreeze go low, some how a headgasket is broke. That after it wouldn't start. We replaced the battery and the starter. The starter was smoking so we thought it would be that, nope. So the headgasket is supposedly broke. I hope we get that fixed and its perfect. Also the seats do stain really easy. I bought seat covers the first week I owned it

My wife's decision without me
By Doug Canady on 01/18/10 19:24 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

We just spent over $1400 on engine repairs when all the oil changes were done regularly and we used full synthetic oil which I swear by. I have never had a vehicle need such repairs and I've owned over 9 vehicles that were not cared for quite as well as this one. My truck has more miles and is older and never needed such work. This is a poor vehicle. Handle like a lawnmower.