Used 2005 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

DON'T DO IT!!!!
By jones1124

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This was the worst car I have ever owned. After 68k my serpentine went, the gas mileage was awful, the all-wheel drive in the snow was garbage,and I went through six headlights. Now, my car was paid free and clear after approx 2 1/2 yrs of ownership, but I still traded in for an '09 Honda Civic,and I could not be happier so far!! Bottom line is stay away from this vehicle. The Equinox, and my previous Chevy, have made me swear off American originated cars period

Buyer beware...
By bocakin12

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I fell in love with how pretty this car was immediately. It came with all the bells and whistles, and after years of driving a straight forward Focus, I had to have it. Even after reading the reviews on this site about how sketchy the Equinox could be, I thought "that won't be me." Ohhhh but it is. Two weeks after I bought it the check engine light was one, never to leave. The airbag light quickly followed. Followed by two brake jobs, the starter issue mentioned so many times by other users, and who knows what is next. Cannot wait to trade it in after paid off. Such a shame because it still is so pretty...

Color, exterior design, heated leather seats, and all the room! Such a nice SUV, works well in the snow.

The brakes, the starter, the check engine light which I'm told is a gas cap problem. So many things. So frustrated.

2005 Equinox Poorly Made
By equinoxowner

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the 05 equinox with 40,000 miles on it. It has had problems since right after i purchased it. I have had to replace the carrier barrier, heater core, AC unit, many thermostats, battery, cracked head gasket and i am sure much more. When i go to start the car half of the time it doesnt want to start and i have to keep turning it over and hit the gas for it to start, asked Chevrolet about it and was told that is just how they are nothing can be fixed. However i have read on here that it has something to do with a faulty wiring harness. The CD player will lock up and you have to take out the fuse so that it will reset its self. I would not recommend this car to anyone.

I like the room that it has and the shelf in the back. its comfortable for long rides.

Everything that doesnt have to do with the looks. everything else needs fixed!

Trouble since i got it
By bosslady443

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my chevy from a local dealership here in Sumter, South Carolina..from the day that i picked it up from the dealership a week after i purchased it. Well problem 1. check engine light keeps appearing 2. the temperature gage keep fluctating 3. when shifted into reverse it rattles... I am so ready to take this vehicle back to the dealership..i do believe that it will only get worse. Please HELP if there is anyone else out there who have been experiencing these issues, your assistance is greatly appreciated

the interior is awesome.

engine performance

Unfortunate vehicle by General Motors
By bmduffield

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased a 05 Equinox in May 2006 with just under 26k miles on it. I assumed I was just in the right place at the right time and signed on the dotted line. The problems began immediately, but the real problem has been the engine. In 2008 with less than 60k miles on it the head gasket blew. GM refused to do anything, I paid 2,500 for the repair. Yesterday included, the heads have blown 4 times since purchasing. I complain to GM every.time and while they are aware of the known issue they continue to do nothing to rectify the situation. A quick internet search and you will find how common the head gasket problem is on these vehicles. I do not recommend anyone purchasing this vehicle.

GM needs to take the necessary measures to rectify the vehicles that are affected by the faulty motors, gaskets and coolant used by General Motors.