2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
Buyer beware...
By bocakin12 on 04/13/12 05:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I fell in love with how pretty this car was immediately. It came with all the bells and whistles, and after years of driving a straight forward Focus, I had to have it. Even after reading the reviews on this site about how sketchy the Equinox could be, I thought "that won't be me." Ohhhh but it is. Two weeks after I bought it the check engine light was one, never to leave. The airbag light quickly followed. Followed by two brake jobs, the starter issue mentioned so many times by other users, and who knows what is next. Cannot wait to trade it in after paid off. Such a shame because it still is so pretty...

2005 Equinox Poorly Made
By equinoxowner on 03/26/12 07:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the 05 equinox with 40,000 miles on it. It has had problems since right after i purchased it. I have had to replace the carrier barrier, heater core, AC unit, many thermostats, battery, cracked head gasket and i am sure much more. When i go to start the car half of the time it doesnt want to start and i have to keep turning it over and hit the gas for it to start, asked Chevrolet about it and was told that is just how they are nothing can be fixed. However i have read on here that it has something to do with a faulty wiring harness. The CD player will lock up and you have to take out the fuse so that it will reset its self. I would not recommend this car to anyone.

Trouble since i got it
By bosslady443 on 01/23/12 12:02 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my chevy from a local dealership here in Sumter, South Carolina..from the day that i picked it up from the dealership a week after i purchased it. Well problem 1. check engine light keeps appearing 2. the temperature gage keep fluctating 3. when shifted into reverse it rattles... I am so ready to take this vehicle back to the dealership..i do believe that it will only get worse. Please HELP if there is anyone else out there who have been experiencing these issues, your assistance is greatly appreciated

Unfortunate vehicle by General Motors
By bmduffield on 01/05/12 12:19 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased a 05 Equinox in May 2006 with just under 26k miles on it. I assumed I was just in the right place at the right time and signed on the dotted line. The problems began immediately, but the real problem has been the engine. In 2008 with less than 60k miles on it the head gasket blew. GM refused to do anything, I paid 2,500 for the repair. Yesterday included, the heads have blown 4 times since purchasing. I complain to GM every.time and while they are aware of the known issue they continue to do nothing to rectify the situation. A quick internet search and you will find how common the head gasket problem is on these vehicles. I do not recommend anyone purchasing this vehicle.

not happy
By nothappyall1 on 10/15/11 14:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2005 new. The 2nd month I had it, a part in the transmission broke. Then the lift gate lock and the CD did not work properly fixed under warranty. Just out of warranty (14 months old) side mirror switch,$40, the ABS sensor went bad, $200, Then the upper strut plates and a strut went bad, $300. Since then, the ABS sensor went bad again, both struts and upper plates replaced again $472. The wiring harness in the driver door (Which controlls the speaker, locks, alarm, and dinger) was replaced $200. The rear hub replaced $255. The paint on the interior doors and on the radio buttons is chipping off. The fabric is not easy to clean. The CD changer just broke. I did not get my $'s worth

Losing power and getting wet...
By starsmyles on 10/01/11 08:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle used with 72,300 miles. I fell in love with the exterior. Upon first entering the vehicle I noted the paint on the radio buttons were worn. I was okay with this slight imperfection. I bougt the vehicle. After a couple weeks I had to repalce the struts. The vehicle ran okay. Then it was spring. The vehicle did not start or go easily on hills, the vehicle lost acceloration in the rain ( this is not a proven hypothesis but likely with my evidence) and has been in the shop since May 2011. I drove it 1700 miles. I wish I had better things to say however I have not had it for nearly six months as it has been in the shop.

Starting problems
By mudskipper on 09/13/11 17:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I recently bought a 2005 Equinox. I looked for over a month and thought I got a good deal. I've had it for a week and I'm having starter problems. It turns over but takes a long time to start. This only happens about half the time. As I'm reading reviews I'm seeing this is a common problem. I would like to get it fixed while under warranty so I'm curious to know what exactly the problem is. Seeing all of these bad reviews and potential problems I am now wondering if I was wrong in buying an Equinox. Any ideas on the starting problem?

Okay SUV
By ap21ril on 08/05/11 16:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this used in 2008 with 28,000 miles and just traded it in with 52,300 miles. I liked it and thought it was fun to drive.

2005 Box of Rocks
By rchiefari on 07/27/11 19:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Front end makes all kinds of noise due to the poor quality components. Drivers side wheel bearing/hub has blown out 3 times in two years, air conditioner gave out --electrical - cant find the problem. You have to remove the front chrome grill and headlamp assembly to replace a headlight --are you kidding?? Can't see out the back window when backing up.

I Regret the day I Got this Car!
By equinoxhater on 07/20/11 19:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I should have seen this car was cursed when the tire went flat at the dealer ship but no i had to get rid of my 2002 Doge Neon. That was a good little car but i needed more space. the Equinox seemed like a good choice. I regret the day i brought this car because i have only had it for 2 years and i have been in over 20 accidents and my car has been attempted to be broken into and over and over with hit and runs... also most recently there is a 5inch crack in my front bumper. I hate this car because it uses so much technology i wish i just got a 65 corvete chery bom red. These cars are crazy and are confusing i want good quality old craftmanship.